Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always noticed a exhaust smell in the cabin like my Z06 is running a bit rich. I notice this at decels to stop lights and under some other conditions. I have this with the stock programming and with my diablo sport tune. I thought this might be normal, any feedback would be great :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you are all stock (cats etc) the smell is not normal. :cheers:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO said:
If you are all stock (cats etc) the smell is not normal. :cheers:

I have stock cats Corsa catback but it has always done this....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would agree that it is not normal, I would either have the dealer check it out or get a good tuner to tune it.

Les

dheller1 said:
I have stock cats Corsa catback but it has always done this....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will have to drive another Z or take somebody for a ride...... I was thinking it might be normal on tipout then stopping at a light or stop sign since the cabin area is small and the location of the exhaust tips. I have been in emission testing and NVH testing so I am over sensitive to any of these concerns. I am going to play around with tunes and might do a fuel shift to a few percent lean and see if there are any changes before I head to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would not start leaning out a car to get rid of a smell, you might do more harm than good. Also at partial throttle you have zero control over the A/F - the PCM will put the car to 14.7:1 and you are not describing a WOT problem.

Jub asked a good question - did you but the car new?

Les

dheller1 said:
I guess I will have to drive another Z or take somebody for a ride...... I was thinking it might be normal on tipout then stopping at a light or stop sign since the cabin area is small and the location of the exhaust tips. I have been in emission testing and NVH testing so I am over sensitive to any of these concerns. I am going to play around with tunes and might do a fuel shift to a few percent lean and see if there are any changes before I head to the dealer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jub jub said:
No, not normal. Someone may have guted the cats. Did you buy it new or used?
Bought the car new, I don't have more the 5k on it.... It has been that day since day one..... I will call Les Stanford and schedule for it to be looked at....

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
dheller1 said:
I have always noticed a exhaust smell in the cabin like my Z06 is running a bit rich. I notice this at decels to stop lights and under some other conditions. I have this with the stock programming and with my diablo sport tune. I thought this might be normal, any feedback would be great :z:
It sounds like you have an exhaust leak. Check it out where the cat back bolts on before going over the axle to the front section of the exhaust. Get under it with a light on a lift and look it over stem to stern. Check it over where the exhaust manifold bolts to the rear exhaust pipes. You may also look at the gasket around the trunk to see if it's seated correctly.

D.J. :pp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts