Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the tips on my z. They are currently black painted and welded to the exhaust. I have corsa "slip on" stainless steel tips but they don't slip of over the current stockers. Is my best bet to bring the tips and car to an exhaust shop and have them put on? Any issues to be aware of?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
"black painted" were not how they came from the factory. I guess you're aware of this. Sounds like they were painted by a previous owner. The tips are polished Ti or polished SS, not sure which. Remove the paint and "upgrade" to stock polished tips!

To answer your question...if the Corsa slip-ons are the way you want to go, you'll have to find someone that can weld Ti. The average muffler shop probably isn't equipped for that.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
thefritz1 said:
Any advice on how the heck I can remove the black paint on this sucker and avoid hurting the metal?
Personally I'd use a regular paint remover. I'd think that anything that you would use on wood furniture would work on the tips and you wouldn't harm the metal. Just don't use anything abrasive or you'll have a hell of a time polishing the fine scratches out. I really don't see why any paint remover wouldn't work.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I would test on the bottom of one of the tips, just to make sure it is safe. Start with a very small size section and see how it looks first.
Good Luck and let us know how you make out and post some pics.

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts