Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right two exhaust tips are lower then my left two tips. I don't know if they have dropped since I bought it or if they were always like that.

My questions is should this be a fairly straight forward adjustment by the dealer? Is the height adjustable? I would guess that they are 1/2 to 3/4 inch difference. Looks cheap now.

Thanks.

- Charley

·
Registered
181 Posts
CDHough,
I have the same problem. When viewing my Z from the rear, the right exhaust tips hang lower. It was delivered that way from the factory. I looked underneath and tried to determine if it was scraped and bent coming off the delivery truck but saw no evidence of that. I can only assume it needs adjusting. I'm told it is fairly easy to adjust but I've added it to the list for my dealer to fix under warranty.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
02BlueZ06 said:
I looked underneath and tried to determine if it was scraped and bent coming off the delivery truck but saw no evidence of that.

02BlueZ06
02BlueZ06,

I saw no obvious scraping or damage either. I am glad to know that it should be an easy adjustment. Thanks.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I noticed that mine are off just slightly as well. Not as much as was mentioned above, but just slightly.
I have also noticed on some other cars that when the engine is reved, the pipes seem to move in different directions. One set goes up and one goes down. Wierd.

I will get the dealer to fix if it gets worse or starts to annoy me.

chris
PS, I didn't think to take pictures, but there is a lot across from the museum where they are selling some vettes. They are in horrible shape tailpipe wise. Some are smashed and some actually touch in the middle. My girlfriend and I were laughing at them they were so bad.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mine are the same way. Right side hangs lower than the left. I just haven't felt like crawling under the car and adjusting the pipes yet. It was like that when I picked the car up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep,
Same thing on mine right lower than the left.
Hope it is not an EB thing:)

ACE

·
Registered
181 Posts
originally posted by aceZ06:
"Hope it is not an EB thing"

I wondered if it was just mine until I saw this post. I checked another EB Z06 my friend took delivery on a couple of weeks ago and his exhaust tips were even.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the same problem,car was delivered that way..right side lower than the left,hopefully a easy fix:-?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
There are no adjustments per se on the stock pipes. There is however a tab on top of the muffler which slides into a slot which holds the whole assembly up :eek: a tab and 4 bolts!

The only adjustment is to bend the tabs up or down.

As for the tips rotating during revving or acceleration, thats just them rotating with the engine as it tries to twist....normal.

Let me know if you want a picture of the tab......

JC

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
N4C5S said:
There are no adjustments per se on the stock pipes. There is however a tab on top of the muffler which slides into a slot which holds the whole assembly up :eek: a tab and 4 bolts!

The only adjustment is to bend the tabs up or down.

JC
I saw that tab when I was looking at the mufflers. I guess that the corvette guy at my dealership will have to figure that one out.

- Charley

·
Registered
181 Posts
originally posted by N4C5S:
"Let me know if you want a picture of the tab......"

Yes, please post the picture of the tab and bolts.

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Pics

Here you go:

As you can see, it could be quite an affair to bend that tab.....especially since its Ti :)

JC

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by jnation:
"My right hangs lower than my left also..."

You had time for a search party???? :lol:

Only kidding.... ;)

Question: Do the right exhaust tips hang too low or are the left tips hung too high? In other words, since my right one hangs low, do I push the right one up or pull the left one down?

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jnation,

Did you push up on the tips, the pipes connecting the tips to the mufflers, or the mufflers?

I would LOVE to fix them tonight and not have to mess with the dealer.

- Charley

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
jnation said:
I just put on a pair of oven mitts when they were very hot and pushed them up!--Presto! Even steven!

I would recommend this method before a trip to the dealer.....

Oven mitts and hot exhaust optional but could be used to impress friends, ie, this is the only way to straighten out Ti, a few fast laps and run in after the mitts while they stand mouth agape :)

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
CDHough said:
jnation,

Did you push up on the tips, the pipes connecting the tips to the mufflers, or the mufflers?

I would LOVE to fix them tonight and not have to mess with the dealer.

- Charley
Don't push up on the tips! Push up on the mufflers themselves.

JC

·
Registered
181 Posts
N4C5S,
Do the bolts described hold the slotted piece to the underside of the car body? Didn't see them on the muffler. Can any adjustments be made on these to raise or lower the height of the slot thus rasing or lowering the muffler & tips?

Also, still not sure whether to push up on the left or pull down on the right if I use the oven mitt method suggested by jnation.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just pushed the tips after a 45 minute drive---everything was quite warm---I backed to the edge of my garage (my driveway has a steep grade which allowed me to get under the rear of the car and gain leverage)--then I did a bench press move with the palms of my hands on just the tips)---I don't know what bent but they are even now:)---don't forget leather gloves or oven mitts!

If something falls off/breaks because of my actions--I guess it's time for Corsa's!:lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts