Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exhaust Note on the new Z

For those of you fortunate to have heard a new Z run, what is the exhaust note like?

Does it sound similar to the C5 Z's or is it quieter?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
It's terrible. Sounds like a regular C6. If you step on it (really step on it!!) is sounds like a screaming squirrel.

They really muffled the sound with the new closed pipe values.

I'm sure most of the new buyers will modify that sound value on the pipes or replace the entire setup.

-Bill. :cry:

·
Registered
449 Posts
2 of the four exhaust pipes are closed at lower RPMs in order to keep the torque up. When the engine revs higher, the torque requires reduced back pressure to get greater torque. Kind of an inverse relationship. Some engine builders refer to an engine with high torque down low AND up high as a "Square" motor....

It may or may not be advantageous to remove the stock system. I heard it run at the test track behind the assembly plant. The driver cracked it open up for the first three gears and in my opinion, it sounded mean as hell.... :yeadog:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I heard it momentarily on a clip that was posted on these forums earlier. Based on what I heard, and what I've read about it......it has a more "exotic" sound to it, than a "gutteral roar" that most V8's have. To me, it sounds like it's closer to a Viper or Porsche sound than a regular V8 sound.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would sure hope it does NOT sound like a viper or a porsche since the stock version of those cars sound like worn out hoovers. They are pathetic sounding. The new Z06 should come stock with something that sounds like the borla stingers or b&b bullets. Afterall it is basically a street legal race car.

Lankhoss said:
I heard it momentarily on a clip that was posted on these forums earlier. Based on what I heard, and what I've read about it......it has a more "exotic" sound to it, than a "gutteral roar" that most V8's have. To me, it sounds like it's closer to a Viper or Porsche sound than a regular V8 sound.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have just heard them at idle, and it doesn't sound much different than a stock C6. The GM driver said it sounded very good at higher RPM's but was unable to tell me if the valves opened suddenly or gradually as the RPM's rose above 3000 PRM because he said at that point he is always focused on where he is headed. :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I heard it at idle, and then with a couple pretty sharp stabs to the loud pedal. At idle, it's quiet - quieter than my C5 I think. But when he stabbed it, it picked up amazingly fast, and it sounded great! For me, I didn't really hear the extra displacement - it didn't sound necessarily "big." It sounded a little smoother - more towards a scream than a roar maybe. Not like a Porsche or SRT-10, but like a healthy high-strung V8.

Hard to describe sound precisely, and many will choose to change the exhaust no matter what. I liked the sound a lot, but then again, it's hard for me not to be impressed with everything about the car.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It is a different sound but the valves stay open if you stay on the accelerator all the way through 5th gear. In the mid 80's the SCCA required mufflers (of sorts) and our engine HP at low to mid RPMs went up without reducing top end HP. I also heard noises I had never heard before like the frame creeking and internal engine noise. It took some getting accustum to. I like the car being quite at low RPMs so it will be somewhat of a sleeper for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lankhoss said:
I tried to find the clip but couldn't.
Anyone know where the sound clip is stored?

·
Registered
19 Posts
johniew398 said:
For those of you fortunate to have heard a new Z run, what is the exhaust note like?

Does it sound similar to the C5 Z's or is it quieter?
I heard one being revved at the Lone Star Corvette Classic a month or so ago, I was about 5 feet from the car, My first impression was that it sounded extremely harsh and unrefined, My Stock 2003 Z sounds much better. I would hope that it would sound better were the car under a load. That being said, the car took my breath away!!!!!!! pictures just do not do it Justice (I took some if anyone would like them post below)

·
Registered
15 Posts
johniew398 said:
I found a clip, it's at:

http://www.spdkilz.com/videoaudio.html
about 3/4 down on the page.

I just listened to the clip and the car definitely doesn't sound as throaty as my C5 Z.
While sometimes these clips can be misleading, I'll just say, it sounds promising. The idle had that nice inboard boat sound, and it seemed to have a nice bark when he stepped into it.

I'm anxious to hear the real thing.

Michael

·
Registered
892 Posts
I heard it several times at the Fest. It is VERY quiet at idle and low RPM's/throttle. Definitely much quieter than a stock C5 Z06, and only slightly louder than a stock C6. It does have a deeper rumble though due to the larger displacement. You can definitely tell its not a 346, although it doesn't sound as raucous as the tuner 427's I've heard (although all of those had loud aftermarket exhausts).

The exhaust cut-out valves are computer controlled and based on RPM, throttle position, and manifold pressure. It's hard to get them to open up while not moving and just revving the motor, since there isn't much load on the engine, and thus not much manifold pressure. So to get the cutouts to open, the driver really has to rev the engine hard and fast, and stab the throttle several times, then they finally open. When the cutouts open, the transition from quiet to LOUD and throaty is abrupt, IMO, and just sounds weird. It's like quiet rev, quiet rev, quiet rev, then BLAT BLAT ROARRRRRR. I'm sure its a better sounding transition while driving the car than just standing there revving it. Once the cutouts are open, it gets MUCH louder, and sounds nice and mean, but not very throaty, and a little bit harsh.

Put it this way: if you're at a red light and give the new Z06 a good rev, not too many people are going to be impressed. After about 3 or 4 revs and you finally get the cutouts to open, they might be impressed, but by then, people would probably be like "what the hell was that? that was weird sounding." I want my Z06 to scare the paint off the car next to me the FIRST time I rev it. :)

Overall, I think the stock C5 Z06 exhaust sounds better under all conditions, and almost any aftermarket system sounds better too. I understand the reasoning behind the new exhaust system, and I like the concept, but the execution is a little flawed, IMO. I think they should have made the muffled mode louder across the board, similar to the C5 Z06 sound level, and made the transition from muffled to open cutouts much smoother and dependant on RPM and not engine load.

All things considered, I would much prefer a titanium system without cut-outs that sound like my Corsa Indy's, or the Borla Stingers.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
aftermarket exhaust will be the first purchase..

waayyy too quiet.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Just make sure, in your fury to get better sound, that you do not mess up what sounds like a very carefully engineered system.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I talked with Jim Browning (CEO of Corsa) at the ALMS race in Sebring, Florida earlier this year. They were already working on designing an exhaust system for the new Zee :D

Zipster :z: :z:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If I paid over $70K out the door for a new Z and had to start putting more money into it to make it sound better... :( :ity: Thanks, I'll stick with my C5Z06 and be able to still eat three meals a day. :screwy:

Bob :bang:

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
When one of the C6 Z06's that visted the hotels at night left down Three Springs Rd it did not sound like any vette I have heard before. It is too quiet at idle but may be acceptible to a large number of buyers. I saw an aftermarket set of Corsa mufflers for a C6 at the BPP tent at the museum and I assume that is what they had on their black and yellow C6 cars. I looked at it close up and you can see down the pipe of the Corsa to the exhaust end. The muffler part is just an expansion chamber off the main tube. Exhaust is not forced to go through the expansion chamber to get to the exhaust tips. So this pipe should be loud enough.

·
Registered
311 Posts
quickZ said:
Just make sure, in your fury to get better sound, that you do not mess up what sounds like a very carefully engineered system.

I agree with you. And if I buy the car its for the performance not the sound. From Dave Hill's talk at the Fest it seems everything was taken into account and in all likelihood they tried to incorporate the throaty sound as much as possible without affecting the performance output negatively. Even with something as simple as a K&N air filter Dave Hill had reasons why the stock filter was what should be used. Keep in mind these cars aren't just engineered, they are tested up and down and for miles and miles to tweak them. Not against those that want different exhaust or more throaty sound as I like the sound too, just wouldnt change it on my car if I got one. Just my .02 :z:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts