Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A moment of your time please. This is wordy, but would another Vette guy who thinks "stiff suspension" is a compliment respond to my comments?

Beat me if I need it. Flames are fine. I simply want to make sure I am in the groove. To make sure I did not miss something...

I got my Z06 300 miles ago, and since ZR1s aren't made any more, I guess by default, that sort of puts me at the top of the current "Vette Guy" food chain along with all of the rest of you lucky folks.

I bought my first C4 (like one of the first in Houston) in 1983. Computer died halfway out of the driveway the first day and everything... Z28s, IROCs, 911s, 944s came and went, but always a Vette in the garage.

Crank my first Vette in '83 and new world opens. I'm not rich, but I swing a new Vette every couple of years, sometimes two in the garage at once. Go to a gathering and everyone was just another Vette guy. Car life was good...

Waves, thumbs up, grins from ANY Corvette (if they see you) from 1983 until day one of the C5 era. Automotive life was suddenly redefined.

The C5 can carry two sets of golf clubs... Now, fat women can get in and out of the C5... Oh boy...

January 1997, Competition Yellow LT4-Gotti modulared 96 C4; suddenly no waves, no nods, nothing. A big part of my commuting life ended overnight. I never knew it until it ended, but I got something out of another Vette person's wave or nod.

By 1998 it's like every Vette person is pissed off. Ever wonder who was buying the $45K Saleens that suddenly started rolling out in '98??? Sure wasn't anyone who needed an S351 to haul golf clubs.

This sounds chicken S__t but it kind of hurts to be sitting in a C4 and wave at a C5 Vette guy sitting next to you and have him just look away. Chances are, on the highway he's driving 60 in the middle lane when everyone else is driving 75.

...Knowing that he thinks he is some kind of hot dog because he is driving a Vette (I'd bet money his first one) and you are some kind of underling because you are in a C4...

IMHO the C4 was just a little too civilized, but God I loved to look at that forged suspension.

Well all of that fat butter greasy golf club fat lady Jaguar talk is fine, but I don't drive Jaguars. The C5 was a really, really neat car, but it certainly was NOT what I had ever sought in a Vette.

To the present... Every Z06 review I read where they complain about the harsh ride, noise, twitchy steering, raspy exhaust just made me dizzy. Once it was clear the reviews were confirmed they were making a Vette again, choosing the color was the only thing left to do.

Back to my soap box... Wednesday, at 5:00 I drive off in a red red/black Z06. As soon as I leave the lot, life changes. The whole world is looking (hard), EVERY Vette waves, Mercedes and Bimmers stare straight ahead... Mustangs and Camaros pull up and gawk and don't care who sees them doing so.

LITTLE KIDS pull their mother's hand and point. Little Kids!! Happened twice in two days!!

What the hell happened???

I haven't drawn this much attention since driving my restored M715, M16s and M60 clamped down, (Class III papered), in traffic during the Gulf War. People went wild...

Vettes? I like 95-96 C4s. I like 68-73 C3s. I REALLY like mid years. And I REALLY have a special respect for the owners of any of these machines. If for no other reason than the enjoyment of seeing THEM enjoying THEIR Vette.

Macho cool or not, Vett cool or not, I am waving at EVERY Vett I see. I'm grinning back at the kids.

If I sense a newbie in the making they might even get a test drive. Why not? I have insurance and a warranty. Hmmm, maybe I'll just take them for a ride...

Man, it felt good to get this off my chest...

------------------
Red Z06
24Jan01

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TMiller:

Macho cool or not, Vett cool or not, I am waving at EVERY Vett I see. I'm grinning back at the kids.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience has been a bit different, but 180 degrees opposite.

I have sensed more of a uncomfortable vibe fron pre-C5 generation folks than from C5 folks... as if having a C-5 makes you less of a "real vette" person.

I wave anyway. I'm enjoying my Corvette experience. I'm glad you are too.

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wave at every corvette. I get return waves from all the C4's. Have only gotten two waves from the C5's (and I see quite a few- but still haven't seen any fellow Zers.) But, in Northern VA, the roads are busy places, and I may have missed a few waves myself. So, generally, I don't really read much into it. If they know the tradition AND they see you, you get a wave. If not, maybe next time.

------------------
-derek Z06 Black/Mod.Torch

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have yet to get a wave from a C4 owner.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sort of know where you're coming from. The C5 has attracted a lot of first time 'Vette owners (good) who may not know or appreciate the history of the car and the wave (not so good). As an aside, before the C5, 'Vettes weren't "C" anythings - just '73s or 87's or whatever. I'm not sure the C1 -C5 idea has really helped. I like your approach of offering rides and sharing the 'Vette experience (or is it life style?)

Anyway, I wave at 'em all. Sometimes I don't see you, sometimes you don't see me. Please don't take it personally - I know I don't. And as neat as the Z06 is, the early big blocks are something else again. Hope we see a few at the forum cruise-in.

Keep on waving!

------------------
jwight NCM #7711
2001 Z06, Millennium Yellow, fuzzy dice,radar detector
and Lloyd mats [B34,V49,DD0,AA8 & 79U]
Kettering, OH

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey,I wave at all corvettes
Here in Georgia, most of the vette drivers wave back

Once in a while......a C-5 driver acts like he doesn't know whats happening
Probably true.......not knowing about the wave, hopefully he will learn

Keep the WAVE alive

------------------

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm with you Trumper.... I see a vette, I wave.... I've even waved from my 77 beater pickup!
If they don't want to wave back, that's fine.... they'll learn one day.

------------------
If you have to drive, do it in a C5.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Installed - custom license plate, exhaust plate
To be added - Ripper, Flameball

·
Registered
528 Posts
I feel very lucky to be able to have this car. I've been into cars since I was old enough to know what cars were, have alway's had a fondness for vette's. Now I'm lucky enough to have one. I'll wave to every vet I see. If they wave back great, If they don't I'll just keep waving.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

------------------
Mark's Web Site

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph (all throttle no bottle)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm waving and I've noticed:

1) Kids love it and wave back, pump their fist and cheer.
2) guys in vettes with girlfriends don't. Hmmm...
3) The older the driver the more likely I am to get a wave back or be waved at from other vettes.
4) All women vette drivers wave if they see you.

Anyway that's my non-scientific perception.

I'll just keep on waving though!

------------------
T/R Z06 with Red/Black Interior.
Waiting on Halltech Titanium TRIC, Red Kevlar/Black CF Magic

·
Registered
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MiZ06:
4) All women vette drivers wave if they see you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I've noticed that too!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used to get waves all the time when I owned my '94 coupe. Now with the ZO6 I got my first wave yesterday.

It was another C-5 owner and he initiated it very early. I always wave no matter what year it is.

I have noticed that a lot of C-5 owners don't wave back because they are on the Cell Phone.

------------------

2001 Quicksilver ZO6
Blk/Red interior
Ripper w/ Momo knob
Vortex Ram Air

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have gotten very few waves, I do think the C5 has alot more people buying it now because it is less harsh than the C4, so most of these people dont even have a clue, and yes, most of them are on their cell-phones.

------------------
Dave Zehak
2001 Black ZO6
Best 1/4(so far) 12.5 at 112
"Mods"
B&M Ripper Shifter
RM racing Nitrous(not installed yet)
"Previous Vettes
1985 white Corvette coupe(auto)
1998 Silver Corvette coupe (M-6)
2000 NBM Corvette Coupe (M-6)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Some wave, some don't. I wave to the ones I see. Don't care if they wave back or not. If you quit waving, then it does die.

------------------
Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
4 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveZehak:
I have gotten very few waves, ......yes, most of them are on their cell-phones.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
First Post here! I allways wave when I see another VETTE, but some times the roads are pretty busy and I may miss a few and vice versa. However, a couple of weeks ago on a bright sunny day at high noon I was passed by a new vert on I35. I watched him slowly gain on me and I waved as he passed - he never so much as turned his head
as he cruised by. This is one of the few times ever had this happen. I would define this driver as a True snob (and probably a non-vette person as well). Any way a big wave to every one reading this

Disclaimer: I have not seen a Z06 yet so my first one may not get wave, I will probably be to excited to remember.

------------------

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Because of the refinement, C5s appeal to a new group of non Vette people who buy them without a clue of the Vette heritage and the wave. All of a sudden, earlier generation owners think they are getting a cold shoulder. They then quit waving to C5s and a cycle has begun.
Keep waving, maybe that will again catch on.

------------------
01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, 11.4 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper
405 rwhp, 380 rwt Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Up here in the boondocks you might see another Vette once a month and they all seem to wave. Of course it will be several months before another Vette owner risks driving his Vette up here in snow land. :0

------------------
2001 Z06
Black Black/red interior

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whew! I've owned a C1, C2, C3, C4, and now a C5 Z06. I've loved everyone. Lets just all get along... and wave!
OK!

------------------
John Von Loh

Black on Black and Red Z06

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've noticed the wave thing. I used to get them when I had my early eighties CJ7 jeep. Always waving those jeep drivers. I guess it was some kind of jeep underground thing. Of course, you get sucked into the whole wave just like everyone else. I also noticed the what's up wave when riding my Yamaha motorcycle, of course not from a burley dude on a Harley Davidson. He would be to worried about being snubbed out of the "Harley Gang" if he were caught even glancing at me. When in all reality he went home to his trophy wife, huge house, changed out of his rags and into a suit and started drinking his bottle of opus. I'm with ya.

------------------
Quicksilver/Black

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gosh, sure didn't expect so much response.

Good to know I'm wasn't being a whiner.

Anyway, I've been waving at folks and let them look in and under it if they wanted to.

Thanks to you all for responding.

------------------
Red Z06
24Jan01

1 - 19 of 19 Posts