Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really never understood the fixation of some Vette owners with drag racing Corvettes. Sure they are pretty good at it, but they are not designed for it. Heck, F bodies make better drag cars. With independent rear suspensions, big sway bars, springs and shocks tuned for no weight transfer, BIG front tires, low profile rear tires, big brakes, etc., Vettes lack many of the qualities that make a good drag car. All Vettes, especially the Z06, are damn near factory road racers. Don't get me wrong, I like to drag race ocassionally too. It is a good measure of how the motor's running, but I'm sorry, 12 seconds of fun isn't enough for me or my wife. :eek:

Enough of my opinions, let's here yours.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ron,

Although I do not race my Z, Drag Racing is in my blood. Been going to NHRA events since the 60's and raced a Junior Fuel dragster in the 70's. I can't explain it, I just love it.

You have never trounched anyone from a light?? :-? Hey, that's drag racing. :lol:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
fcalmes said:

You have never trounched anyone from a light?? :-? Hey, that's drag racing. :lol:
Yeah, I gotta go with Frank's line of thinking here. There's just something about the feeling you get lined up at a light, nailing it, and leaving someone behind you (who's trying NOT to be behind you). It's a boyish "man" thing. It makes me feel all gitty inside. It puts a grin on my face, and usually makes my leg shake nervously. It's just "one of those things."

Now, I had a Mustang Cobra that was really fast in a straight line, but didn't corner too well. When I decided to sell it and buy a Z06, I wasn't thinking I'd be getting another drag car. Rather, I knew I was getting the "whole package" (INCLUDING a car that goes straight quickly).

I don't think too many people bought their Z's 'cause they just wanted to make them go quickly in a straight line -- but then again, I find myself at a lot more stoplights (wanting to go fast) each day than I do on a twisty road course. So, why not have a little fun 95% of my driving time?! :D

-Kirk

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank, I can understand the popularity of drag racing in general, just not with Vettes. Now, as far as trouncing someone from a light, I wouldn't do that unless there was room to run to redline in 5th. :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ron,

Looking forward to hooking up with you and Susan again at Joliet. :yeadog: I'm driving my Z up, but not racing...although, I would like to make one of those 170 mph runs sometime :eek: ...just once!! :lol:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank, Route 66 offers something like 3 drag runs for $20 and you aren't going to do it? :( I suppose you will be running around with the Z06vette.com banner trying to get the young, but not too young, perkies to remove their shirts for a picture. :D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
Frank, I suppose you will be running around with the Z06vette.com banner trying to get the young, but not too young, perkies to remove their shirts for a picture. :D
Uh..... never thought about that!! :sneaky: Thanks for the idea. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is nothing that gets the heart pumping faster than sitting next to a Viper, raising the RPMs to 5k, side stepping the clutch, power shifting the ripper, and crossing the line first in a Z06. If the driver does it right, the car is .01 of a second consistent.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Drag tracks are more common in my area, than any autox or road rallys. I never take the highway to work, always 10 miles out of my way to take the twisted roads. I love blowing off minivan moms on the back roads.

Anyway, drag racing is just more available to me. It is fun, but the car's not designed to be a dragster, you're right. But for $20 and some rubber, I can have legal fun close to home.

Where did you find a woman into racing a vette? Sounds like a keeper.

JMHO

·
Registered
631 Posts
There is nothing that gets the heart pumping faster than sitting next to a Viper, raising the RPMs to 5k, side stepping the clutch

5K RPM's really ?

Doesn't the back of the car go all over the place ?

Do you have it in competitive mode ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rippied Z06, Yea drag racing is much more prevelent in most areas and road racing is far and few by comparison. The nearest road track or banked oval is over 250 miles away. and a national drag track is 60 miles away. But besides hitting the gas hard from a stop light..... I still have not found any one that can take the freeway interchange curve at over 110 around here like my Z06 does and seems like there is still more to go! Ya'll "enjoy the ride":cheers:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Primarily it's because an "uneducated" pass at the drag strip will yield nothing more than a bad timeslip. An "uneducated" mishap at a roadcource will net you an Armco party and a tap dance with your insurance carrier.

Crashing at the strip is rare, crashing at a roadcourse is very possible if you don't know yourself and the car well.

Roadracing is definately my kind of thing. I did it enough in the past to prefer doing it in a car dedicated to that purpose, not what I need to use to get home. If I were to lap in my personal transport car, I'd want a track with lots of runoff room, not a Watlikns Glens for example.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Sometimes Drag Racing is likened to being shot off a carrier catapult. The Z06 is just a smaller shoot. Something that will bring a smile and a feeling of exhileration to you every time. :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The need for speed is greater then the sum of all other equals.

Interesting thread. Since I've yet to drag race I never really thought about whether the vette was the right car or not to drag.

But if it makes perky young things drop their tops then I'm all for it :cool:

Seriously, I would have to agree with the guys that say it is for the thrill and the car is just the means to the end. I sky dived up until a few years ago, and the rush you feel when your hurtling towards the ground at terminal velocity is unlike any other thing I have yet to do.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I do get the thrill of drag racing and I understand the issue of road course availability, but I just don't get focusing on it with a Vette. That's what the primitive F bodies are for. ;)

Imagine running the 1/4 against the best street going drag car around, continuing down another 3/4 of a mile straight (1 mile straight total) tapping the brakes to slow from 160 mph or so and then entering a banked sweeper at 135 mph, all on street tires. :D You've just run through the straight and turn 1 at BIR. How far behind you do you think that drag car would be?
:eek: That's what a Vette, especially a Z06, is all about. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Once you have seen, heard, felt a top fuel dragster in action, stock bodied cars are boring by comparison. They are just filler.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree with Rippied!

I am with Rippied ZO6 on this one. IMHO road racing is more fun (not to mention the vette is great at it). Besides I am lucky enuf to have my local roadcorse 30 min from my house.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
[
B]Ok, Zee Freak gets it. Anyone else? :cheers: [/B]
I haven't ever road raced on a track. Sounds like a lot of fun but I don't think I would ever be able to trust that the car next to me was going to do the right thing.
For me I started drag raceing when I was a kid, it was cheap and localy available. I enjoy it in my 16.0 truck or my 8.8 153 camaro. Trying to get good et's in the Z06 is a challenge as you have pointed out, frustrating some times but much more rewarding when you master it. The grate friendly people you meet in any raceing community is a big plus also. Ric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts