Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my first Vette and focusing in on the C6 Z06's.

This will run dd duties for me, except in the winter...so ill guess 10k - 12k miles. I'm a car nut, so maintenance will always be spot on, but premature drivetrain failures make me a little nervous on an expensive sports car.

Personally I can replace just about anything on a car...but I'm a totally new on rebuilds...so serious engine and trans work is outside my capabilities.

With the above in mind, I'm considering an extended warranty. Have any of you guys purchased one of these on a 7yr old car? Thought on price and companies you can recommend? Is it worth it on these cars?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I would go with a GMPP extended warranty. I had one on my 06Z and never used it but just in case! They would be nice to have if you were to drop a valve and the engine went to pieces like some have. I have a 13Z with over two years left on the warranty and will get a GMPP when it runs out. Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As an ex new car dealer let me try to help you go in the right direction. As 4vette told you look first at GMPP. The factory warranties are usually your best bet. However in order to put a service policy on a 7 year old car will require you to have the car inspected by the dealer and have any defects corrected before they will issues a policy. The inspection will probably cost you $150.00 +or -. Now come the tricky part. Buy the longest term (months) warranty you can get. It will probably be a 36 month contract but if you can get 48 or more do it. Typically people with these cars don't drive the "normal" 12,000 mile per year so take the lowest mileage you can. This will decrease the cost so will taking the $ 100.00 deductible. You really want to insure against major failures anyway right? Now here comes the fun part. Usually these warranties will not cover any failures for the fist 60-90 days so don't blow the motor up right away. Trust me they will deny your claim. Now if GM won't sell you a extended warranty see if the dealer will sell you a warranty from Universal. They too are a good company. Do not buy some off breed warranty they will always get you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good wishes to all and a Happy Father’s Day. Bruno, does the inspection have to be from a Chevrolet dealership or will a reputable Corvette shop do?

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are buying a GM warranty the inspection is probably going to have to be done by a GM dealer filling out their form. If you purchase a non factory warranty you would probably not have to use a GM dealer. I have shopped for warranties online and if you look around you will find dealer more than willing to sell you a factory warranty at a decent discount. The dealers get a bonus from the factory for selling warranties usually called a "penetration" bonus. Some of them offer no interest payment plans etc. The factory warranties are nice because any GM dealer will accept them and they will always use GM parts, not off breed or even sometimes used parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the information Bruno, I’m looking to purchase a 2009 this week 7000 On the odometer but strongly feel the need for an extended warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts