Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TR 2002 Z06 -- I've got the paperwork in front of me right now. I've made out the check. I have the 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty built into the (0%) deal at a add of $1,725.00 plus tax. All I have to do is put it in the mail and I pick up the car 11/18/01. What do you guys think about purchasing the extended warranty? I'm used to 911 Turbo repair bills where it costs $1,000 to get the air in the tires checked... air is extra.
Should I keep the extended warranty in the deal?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I bought mine with the optional extended warranty. Just makes sense to me. I'm not your "better than average wrench spinner" sort. And if I should bust something, specifically my motor and it's covered by warranty that will, in the end result save me much over the cost of the warranty. I'm not sure the cost of the 99 motor, but $2k isn't going to cover it very well. Not to mention your Z06 motor!!! :puke:

Don't know if this helps, but it just seems common sense to me.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Make sure to get a General motors protection plan ( GMPP ) Also shop around on the price. If your not goining to keep past 3 years 36 k miles dont buy one:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jim ODeen said:
If your not goining to keep past 3 years 36 k miles dont buy one:)
I agree. All depends how long you are going to drive it. I always buy it, the unused portion is refundable if you sell your Vette before the extended warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Give Ken Fichtner on the other forum a call. He can almost always beat the price of the extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hell no...I'm planning on modding the shit of of it anyways so it wouldn't matter anyway:cheers: :D :D :cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
An extended warranty is statistically a waste of money for the consumer. If it weren't manufacturers wouldn't offer it. Therefore I didn't purchase it. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
How many Vettes have you owned Beggar? I'm on my 4th and the extended warranty paid for itself and then some on all of my previous three. It's a must have in my book, though I think one can get a better deal than $1725. I have 7 yrs, 70,000 and paid $1325.

·
Registered
282 Posts
mmorse, I admit this is my first Vette. For now I have the standard manufacturer's warranty and I'll see how trouble-free my car will be during next 3 years. If there are a lot of problems I might consider the extended warranty later. But having 2 warranties at the same time is wasteful in my opinion even if it's cheaper to buy the extended warranty when the car is new.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's not really 2 warranties. It's an extension of your existing one. GM Majorguard is the only one worth having. IMO. To give you an idea of how expensive it can be to fix these cars, my '96 CE needed a new fuek gauge sending unit. The cost to replace a simple sending unit was almost $500 at the dealer. The cost of the unit alone was $425. Parts cost on these cars is down right stupid. Waterpumps cost about $300 and I've replaced the pump on every vette I've owned including my 01 Z.

Hopefully you won't have any problems with your car, however, past experience tells me you will. It's like any other kind of insurance. A waste of money when you are paying for it but a godsend when you need it. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I might get the extended warranty when my standard one is about to expire. I guess the reason I'm not interested in the extended warranty for now is that my 2nd car is a 14 year old Honda with 169K miles and I'm used to having no warranty and paying for the occasional repairs which have cost me much less than any extended warranty. Granted, Corvettes aren't Hondas but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a Vette several years old to be no more troublesome than a 14 year old Honda. I'll see...

·
Registered
222 Posts
A mechanic friend once told me, think of reliabilty vs high performance as a gauge with reliabilty at one end of the gauge and high performance at the other. The closer the needle on the gauge gets to high performance, the further away it gets from reliability and vice versa. Of course a lot depends on how you drive the car. I suspect that being owner of a Z means you will drive it accordingly. Fun factor and all that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I drive a lot of miles. I may have gotten screwed by the way it sounds here, but I did the 5 yr/ 100k mile ext warr for 2400.00

1 - 13 of 13 Posts