Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 03 with 1005 miles. Warenty runs out in November. I don't plan on doing any major mods. Would you suggest the wattenty or not. Any advise would be helpfull.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
My warranty just expired and I decided AGAINST getting the extended warranty. Personally, I think the money you save can be well spent someplace else.

Charlie

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ask the dealer for a printout of the vechicles service history. If the differential seal hasn't been replaced yet, that could be a good resson to buy an extended warranty, unless they will do it as part of the sale. In all likelyhood this will need to be done at some point and it's about $100 - 200 in parts (including seals and the correct differential fluid & additives) and about 3 hours of dealership labor. Some owners have had problems with electronics like the drivers door control console, seat tracking problems, water leaks, exhaust isuues etc..... IMHO $1000 - 1500 for an extra 2 to 3 years of coverage is worth it. Especially on a pre-owned Z

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you're not going to do MODS, then I would say YES. It could save you tons of cash down the road. To me it's just good insurance for your car and pocket book.

·
Registered
709 Posts
As long as you know of a local dealer you can trust to work on your car, I would say it's worth it. I extended mine about a year ago for approx. $800 for 3 years w/ a $500 deductible just in case. Al

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
YES - just about everything that can go bad on these cars will cost you plenty of $s.

Seems like pretty cheap insurance.

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I would wait until just before your warranty is going to run out. If the car has been trouble free I'd pass. If you have had problems I'd get one. It doesen't take much in repairs for the warranty to pay for itself. The GM warranty seems to be the best. Shop around any GM Dealer can sell a warranty and the prices do vary. :cheers:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I say no, dealers dont warrenty anything that goes wrong for me under normal circumstances let along pay more to still not have something replaced under warrenty

·
Registered
373 Posts
Things either break early or they break late. Late is usually defined as after the warranty period (extended) is up :screwy: . Unless you are absolutely sure you have a lemon, no.

If you do have a lemon, then yes! :)

app 69,000 miles on my 2001 Z06 and one set of differential seals were even done at a dealer "out of the warranty period" (long story, but it was in 5 times) Differential fluid was changed 4 times under 40k miles!! The column lock recall was done out of warranty time and mileage; but under (the original 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (last month) at the 5th year and 68,000 mile markers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am very grateful for my 100,000 mile extended warranty. It depends on the dealer of course too as I have mods but most will still cover other items that the mods don't affect.

My starter went out and the pcm "lost its cover" and got water in it and my abs system and TCS/AH computer all went out and some other odds and ends and I didn't have to pay much at all with my zero deductible.

I say yes if you drive it! Air conditioning parts, the many computers on the car and other things are VERY expenxive!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had ~ $5k (Water pump, pwr strg pump, 2X on intake manifold leak, pwr window motor and switch, 3X smog pump, headlight actuator, etc.) in work on my 97 WS6 prior to the factory warranty expiring. When I got the Z it was 3 yrs old (2 wks from warr. expiration) w/ 500 miles. I got the GM 3yr/30k extended bumper-to-bumper warr ($0 ded) for the Z at ~ $1800 after tax.

My dad owns a service station and even he does not want to work on my car. He gets extended warranties on all of his own vehicles because (1) he knows what it costs to fix the cars and (2) does not have time to fix all the paying customer's cars let alone his own.

I consider it money well spent for a car I only plan to slightly mod. One less problem to worry about.

pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input.

Out of 12 responses there are,
7 - yes
3 – no
1 - wait and see

I think I will go warranty shopping soon.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Typically, I am flat out against buying extended warranties... BUT, as great of a car as my Z is, it's got a pretty poor service record. I just got it back from it's latest visit to the svc dept. and frankly, if I had to pay for all the little things that have crapped out they would add up really quick.

You are so close to the end of your factory warranty, you should be able to get a GMPP at a really good price. Never understood GM's approach on this one. You pay more the earlier you buy the GMPP because it starts the day of the purchase or something like that. Jason Walters explained it to me once, net-net... wait until you are close to the expiration of the factory warrantly and you will get the most for your money in the GMPP.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As a 66,ooo mile Z owner I can absolutely, unequivocally, vote yes on an extended warranty. Three engines and numerous other significant failures along with the dozens of small ones would have been about 40,000 bucks vs. the 6 year/100000 mile warranty that cost about 3,000 dollars. GMPP gave me back 1100 bucks and change for the unused mileage when I realigned the Z's ownership. Figure that saved me about 38 thousand bucks. When you are a magnet for anomalies you better buy extended warranties.
Doc E. :usa:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
JWG said:
Thanks for all the input.

Out of 12 responses there are,
7 - yes
3 – no
1 - wait and see

I think I will go warranty shopping soon.
If you are SERIOUS about buying the GMPP, shop around for pricing. When you finish, send me a PM and I'll send you to a dealer that will probably be the cheapest. Like I said, I thought about it but decided against buying one. Unless you foresee MAJOR problems, getting a warranty with a $500 deductible everytime you bring it in, just doesn't make sense to me.

Charlie

·
Registered
70 Posts
I vote yes. I purchased mine through the credit union I done the loan with. 8yr 100k $0 deductable. Yes it overlaps the factory but that takes me to 2010 or 100k mi. Mine cost me $1500. Check here, I went with "Easy Steet". :thumb:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I deliberated too, decided to go for it-so I vote YES!:thumb:

My vette is modded BUT my dealership is WAY kewl and anything I need they cover:)

I kinda like having the extended warranty for resale too

1 - 20 of 42 Posts