Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone with experience between the color of your Vette and the degree to which you are pulled over. All other things being equal of course.

So imagine:
You and several other Vette buddy’s are cruising down the highway. One in each different color MY, EB, Red, White, Silver, etc., cruising just fast enough to be passing most traffic and obviously going over the speed limit. Who gets pulled over?

Reason:
I just ordered a M/Y and although I don’t plan on breaking the law, you never know what the police are thinking when deciding who to pull over. Since the M/Y is on constraint and I’m not sure how long I want to wait, I may decide to change the color. Any thoughts?

(Thanks to the net!)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
IMHO, the "MY" & "RED" are the first to get it............

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Unless you regularly exceed the speed limit by a good margin, I'd get the color you like best. I wouldn't get a color just because of the law. Keep in mind, your worry is only if you are in a pack of cars, and the cop has to pick someone out. I learn to NOT be the fastest in a pack. That way when the radars sees a speeder and the cop wakes up and looks at traffic, he'll pick out who looks like they're passing a bunch of folks.
I haven't had any problem yet. I did have a cop pull out with lights blazing when I passed his radar post, but he pulled over someone else. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

fwiw - Black absorbs light, so it's best against laser.

Metallic paints reflect the best, so they're the worst for evading radar/laser guns.

My $.02

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point about the metallic colors.. Is M/Y metallic? I'm torn between my favorite M/Y, but the new EB looks sweet too. I'm also planning to add 2 stripes from the nose to the tail pipes (6 - 8" wide 2 - 3" apart), similar to the old cobra stripes. M/Y would get black / EB would get white, silver or black not really sure.

Any suggestions on a good laser/radar detector?

·
Registered
0 Posts
All 5!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

The last speeding ticket I had was in my '95 Admiral Blue Coupe. Cop told me 84 MPH was too fast for Illinois highways. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif I said, "Not for this car!!" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Since then, Sherylann has gotten 1 speeding ticket and 3 tickets for no front plate. Black Vettes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I've only been stopped once and ticketed for no front plate. Guess my legs don't look as good as hers. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

On 2001-08-20 19:36, thx2.net spewed forth this drivel:
So imagine:
You and several other Vette buddy’s are cruising down the highway. One in each different color MY, EB, Red, White, Silver, etc., cruising just fast enough to be passing most traffic and obviously going over the speed limit. Who gets pulled over?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I agree MY and TR are eye catching colors, but I would tend to believe that sitting there out of sheer boredom they aim the gun at anything that moves. :rolleyes:

Buy your favorite color, a decent radar detector and turn off those damnable DRL's and you'll be OK.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

On 2001-08-20 19:56, Zoomin spewed forth this unknown acronym:

"turn off those damnable DRL's and you'll be OK."
Thanks, but what are DRL's?

[/quote]

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

·
Registered
81 Posts
mantee is right try not to be the fastest if you're in a group. the radar will lock on to the largest or fastest car /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
Zoomin,
How do you turn off the DRLs?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The button that controls the instrument panel lights can be pressed 3 times and they will turn off. I think this must be standard on all GM cars now as my Tahoe does this too. You have to do it each time you start the car. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My last was Torch Red. Cops would look at me like I was on fire. Next will be EB. A little more stealthy plus I like the color. Course if you blow by the cop at 150 or so, he might just think his radar had a brain fart and go back to sleep. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Manatee has it right. Color doesn't really matter. If they see a vette or any other car blowing past the pack, that's when you'll get nailed.

Always keep your eyes peeled, especially near the underpasses. In our state they tend to always work the same spots, and in the same ways. They do have their tricks, like having and unmarked car doing the radar timing on the opposite side of the highway. But they usually use the same tricks at the same spots.

Anytime you see a cop that looks like he has someone pulled over already, slow down anyway. In my experience, paying close attention works far better than a radar detector.

It is also good to know the various pain thresholds for your state. In Illinois, you can get "court supervision" (doesn't go on your record) by mail for up to 30 MPH over the limit. But in Wisconsin, your ass is grass if they catch you doing more than 20 over.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Concur with what the guys have all said.
Get the color you want.
I drove a bright red RX-7 for seven years before upgrading to my TR Z06. Only received one ticket during that time by never being the fastest guy on the freeway. I always follow someone else. Don't even use a radar detector.
I satisfy my urge to speed by going to the track. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FYI, you can set the DRL status on the options menu of the instrument cluster to off or on and store the preset in your memory setting.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
It's not called "arrest me red" for nothing! Any bright color will draw attention from the local authorities. The next time you are cruising with a group of Vettes, spread out for a mile or so and see which colors you can see from the furthest away. It ain't silver or pewter. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Alright I ASSuMEd the DRL shutoff worked the same - it does not. The only way to turn them off is to raise your emergency brake to the first click, but then you get the damn warning light on the instrument panel. My bad. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

On 2001-08-20 21:03, Rippied.Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
It's not called "arrest me red" for nothing! Any bright color will draw attention from the local authorities.
Then again, you may want to *heed* Ron's legal counsel if you plan to do 177 in a 55 regularly. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

But then you may *need* his legal counsel. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06 Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6 - DOA /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but PSMs
Try #2 - Order# DNFM0T - TPW 8/20!!!

S

·
0 Posts
One of the several reasons I bought a QS Z06 was that I feel that it isn't as conspicuous as MY or TR. I love all of the Z06 colors, and would have been happy with any of them.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-20 20:12, JZ spewed forth this drivel:
Zoomin,
How do you turn off the DRLs?
In you dic the # 4 botton is options. keep pressing this botton till you see day time running lights it will say on or off. if it is on press the reset botton on the bottom of the dic and it will change to off. there you are no more lights. another thing your sales person should have done for you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[email protected]
Click WWW above for my home page.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts