Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone else get a lot of condensation on the inside of the Z???

Earlier this morning I jumped in, and noticed heavy condensation on the inside of the front windshield and the right window. There was literally enough condensation built up to run down the window a bit. It's a pain in the ass because it doesn't seem to wanna wipe off completely. Then when it does dry it leaves streaks all over. It didn't rain overnight, so it can't be a leak... this has happened a few times before, and I just can't figure it out.

Isn't the basic theory of condensation something vaguely like: If the temperature is warmer inside, and cooler outside, condensation forms inside, or, if the temperature is warmer outside, and cooler inside, condensation forms on the outside?? But then why does frost form on the outside in the winter if it's clearly colder outside of the car??? And why hasn't this happened with any of my other cars? Maybe the Z has the best overall seal to the outside, so it's more efficiently keeping all the warmth inside??? :-?

I'm thinking maybe cracking the window open overnight would help, but if it rains overnight, then I'm screwed. :mah:

Anyone else have this prob?

·
21,378 Posts
In order for there to be condensation there has to be moisture in the air. Could your carpets be wet due to a leak somewhere? I would check that first.

I've never had condensation on the inside unless I left my window open.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you drive with your vent system in "Recirculate" mode? If you do, it will cause condensation when you drive in cold weather.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jub jub said:
In order for there to be condensation there has to be moisture in the air. Could your carpets be wet due to a leak somewhere? I would check that first.

Hmm, that's weird...I thought it was the other way around! :D I'll have to check, but I don't think anything inside the Z could be wet because it didn't rain here most of yesterday, and definitely didn't rain overnight. It's intriguing the hell outta me because this has happened a few times before, after getting no rain... :-?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ST1100 said:
Do you drive with your vent system in "Recirculate" mode? If you do, it will cause condensation when you drive in cold weather.
I actually know about that because it's happened in all my cars :) I was talkin about the condensation building up on the inside, overnight...

·
21,378 Posts
I had a Cavalier that had a leak and the carpets would get damp and cause moisture build-up especially when the sun hit it in the morning.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That's what I experienced "on and off" for 2 1/2 months. Condensation inside the car - and on very cold days it would ice-up. Also had a little bit of water coming down the inside door frame.

I had my windshield replace last November - fought "sealing" problems. They finally had to remove and reset the windshield and door seals all over again.

I'd say it's a pretty good chance that you do have a leak. If you haven't had any windshield damage or replacement recently - you probably have a door seal problem. Have a glass expert check it out - you insurance agent will know of a good glass shop if you haven't dealt with any firsthand.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! :thumb: I wasn't aware a leak could affect it that much..

I'm definitely gonna have it checked..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeS said:
That's what I experienced "on and off" for 2 1/2 months. Condensation inside the car - and on very cold days it would ice-up. Also had a little bit of water coming down the inside door frame.

I had my windshield replace last November - fought "sealing" problems. They finally had to remove and reset the windshield and door seals all over again.

I'd say it's a pretty good chance that you do have a leak. If you haven't had any windshield damage or replacement recently - you probably have a door seal problem. Have a glass expert check it out - you insurance agent will know of a good glass shop if you haven't dealt with any firsthand.

Good Luck!
Thanks man - I don't think the windshield was ever replaced, and I haven't had damage or a replacement since I've had the Zee... so it must be a door leak of some sort? They don't have to replace the side windows for that, do they? I'm assuming they'd just have to replace the rubber seals...?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only time I have ever had the problem you mentioned, was when something inside the car was wet/damp.

Check your windshield on the top sides for a small open gap.
You will need to look closely under the molding ridge.

I had a problem with windnoise, and found out it was my windshield not sealing at the top driver's side edge. My windshied was the factory original.

Hope you find the problem.

augydog

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went out on my break to check it out, and I felt all around the carpets. I felt a slight dampness in a small section of the top carpeting on the driver's side - it's near the top of the window, but not right next to it. I guess water leaked in somewhere through the top of the driver's side window from the rain a few days ago, and it stayed damp? Maybe it leaked through the front windshield (I'm hoping not!)...

I'm wondering if I should just go buy a thin rubber seal and apply it to the top of the frame to see if it corrects the problem? :-?
I don't want to apply too much pressure to the window when it's closed since there is no top frame, so hopefully something thin might do the trick. If not, then I guess it must be a windshield leak... it's still under dealership warrantee, so if that's the case I'll take it back and have them fix it... :thumb:

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
You must be parking your Z outside at night. This has happened to me before & I absolutely hate it.
It seems like the weather conditions have a lot to do whether it will happen or not. I used to leave my LF window cracked just enough to ventilate & found this seemed to
encourage the condensation so I don't do it anymore.
Also, I'm now fortunate enough no to have to park outside anymore---ya gotta love the garage.
:thumb:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
jub jub said:

I agree with John, sounds like you have wetness in your car from a small leak. Overnight, when it cools down, the moisture from either carpets or seats is causing the prob,
my .02.

Jack

·
Registered
891 Posts
The door glass is adjustable up, down, in and out. I did mine because the glass was too far in at the top and you had to slam the door to get it to latch. It's easy to do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Plugged drain tube

Another source of moisture inside the car is the HVAC system. If the drain tube is plugged water will build up in the duct work. If enough water builds up it can leak onto the carpet on the passenger side. I saw this happen to a friends 2000 FRC.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Do you smell any coolant? I've got a 2001 also, and the heater core failed last month.....12 hour job to fix.....tore my car apart :(

The whole dash was off, radio out air bag out, intake manifold off + all kinds of engine stuff.....unbelievable what had to come out just to replace the heater core. I almost cried.....

Covered entirely by the extended warranty.....about $1,200.00 repair cost w/o warranty.

First sign there was a problem was moisture on the passenger side of the windshield and passenger window. Collant temps started to rise on a cold day!!!

HTH

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There are two rubber nipples under the hood by the windshield wipers that can become clogged and cause a water leak. Since you park your car outside they could have gotten clogged with leaves, etc.. I would check them first.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Thanks man - I don't think the windshield was ever replaced, and I haven't had damage or a replacement since I've had the Zee... so it must be a door leak of some sort? They don't have to replace the side windows for that, do they? I'm assuming they'd just have to replace the rubber seals...?
Yes probably just a seal - but don't try on your own - have a glass shop look at it - they know what to look for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts