Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose a 100 hp gain, h/c vs supercharged what would our motors prefer? Seems to me like a mild boost would be better than ripping into the motor. But then again, our tuners are getting pretty good at making reliable h/cam setups.

·
21,353 Posts
I picked up apprx 100 HP with a cam and AFR 205 heads. I went the cam route for a simple reason...I like the sound! :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I don't think our Motors care. It comes down to the owners preference. For me it all depends on what day of the week it is. Some-days I prefer Cam and Head other days I like to be Blown. On a head/cam package 100 HP gain is getting close to maximum that you can get out of a stock CID motor (140 max gain). With a Blower 100 gain is just scratching the surface. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
jub jub said:
I picked up apprx 100 HP with a cam and AFR 205 heads. I went the cam route for a simple reason...I like the sound! :)

Either works just fine just becareful with how much boost... But I have to go with JubJub... I like the sound of a H/C car better.

Chris

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you have a qualified person install either the Forced induction will be much much harder on the motor...Not to mention worse gas mileage.

·
Registered
971 Posts
A Moderate N/A H/C motor will beat a Forced induction motor hands down. High RPM's and really high compression will put wear on any motor.

Things to Consider.

1) Compression between 10.5-11.3 for pump gas
2) Moderate Cam
3) All the supporting parts. EG titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, etc.
4) Good tune, say between 18-24 degrees timing. If you are going to run more than that, you running on the edge. If you run A/F real lean you are asking for trouble; san you say dirty injector, bad gas, etc..
5) Change oil and fluids every 2,000 miles or less. I change plugs every 2,000 miles. Double springs every 10,000 miles.
6) Warm your car up to 180 degrees in the driveway. Every time.
7) Check your connections. I mean everything, at least once every six months. High performance motors tend to loosen up everything. Do a quick check it once a week in the driveway while you are waiting to warm up.
8) Be prepared to put $$$ aside for maintenance and repairs, just to stay on the road.
:zboobie:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't know what's best, either, but it seems to me a low boost centrifugal (sp?) would be the best bang for admittably alot of $$$. If you limit it to around 6 lbs of boost, you should get a little more than 100 hp, and still retain the stock idle. Also your gas mileage shouldn't suffer too badly, if you stay off the boost. Stock hood will make it a sleeper, and unless you spend alot of time at the track, the real-world street roll-ons will be incredible. My car already sounds fantastic with my exhaust set-up, and old school hot rodders are amazed at that kind of power, with civility and reasonable gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'd go heads and cam, I also love the lope you get with a good cam.
FI will stress the bottom end more and I would be esp. concerned about bearings at that point. As far as those with SC's now, if you've had your motor apart have you noticed any abnormal wear on the #1 main bearing. I remember in the old days, 5.0's, the guy's that ran a centrifugal blower had problems with the #1 upper main bearing due to the extra stress the blower belt's tension caused.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I went the with Heads/cam and all the other bolt-ons for a few reasons: 1. love the sound and lope of the cam, 2. tuned
properly the driveability is very close to stock, 3. for me it was the most bang for the buck as I was able to do all the
work myself except for the tuning, 4. I feel the reliability long-term will be better than a FI setup with the stock internals.
5. I have 2 other vehicles that are FI (turbos), and wanted to keep the Z N/A. 6. Car is making big-time power under the curve, and I don't have to worry about belts slipping or breaking, and the power curve of my set-up is working quite well with the stock 3.42 rear gears. Nuff said! ;)

Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
IMO it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If I was planning a drag car, I would lean towards boost. F/I cars are capable of larger torque numbers than N/A, which would be beneficial for drag applications. I don't plan on taking my car to the track very often, so I have gone the h/c route. I have a cam that puts down good hp numbers and is very streetable. I also plan on upgrading to AFR 205 in the future. I can't imagine trying to control 500lb/ft on a radial tire.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I would go H/C...I think if done right, a H/C setup will last a lot longer than a FI motor. Just my opinion though...and my first cam only motor didn't last all that long. :cry:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I went with cam and headers....and love it...

Still if I were to do another car? I believe there is something to consider with the magnuson intercooled supercharger with its 36 month/36K miles warranty for 8 grand...(around december the vette doctors offer this as a special for the past two years...

By the time your done with all the costs? I'd say its about equal...and you have the option of unbolting the supercharger at the end of your term and selling it off to recoup some of your costs..

Tons of torque right from get go...

8 grand installed by the vette doctors with painted hood...(forget all the other mods/intake/headers/throttle body etc..)

Drive in and drive out...is a cool idea..

I sometimes wonder if that 500 hp option might not have been a great way to go.

Unless your going to track the car....it seems that h/c do a better job more often for whatever reason....or the reasons mentioned above..

For the street thrills? Think about that intercooled mag.

(just a slightly different perspective)

Today I was reading the Car and Driver article on the magnusum supercharger C5 coupe and it turned in some pretty impressive times...

11.7 @ 126mph zero to 60mph in 3.7 (and that wasn't even the intercooled version)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I went back and forth for a while. Hds/cam won out. And once installed, my motor is just as easy to work on as it was stock.That was the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ZORA04 said:
IMO it depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If I was planning a drag car, I would lean towards boost. F/I cars are capable of larger torque numbers than N/A, which would be beneficial for drag applications. I don't plan on taking my car to the track very often, so I have gone the h/c route. I have a cam that puts down good hp numbers and is very streetable. I also plan on upgrading to AFR 205 in the future. I can't imagine trying to control 500lb/ft on a radial tire.
good logic but "most" of the forced air family are street cars and you see more H/C cars at the drag strip...lots of threads on why....

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Hey Jub :z: if you are still reading....I am still learning here ...I love the sound H/C sound and power is always a bonus. Can you share about any increased maintence Bother and Costs ?? Changing Valve springs every few thousand miles ??

Thanks...Terry

ps....for the moment I am staying stock...but who know what evil lurks in the hearts of Zee owners

1 - 18 of 18 Posts