Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find comparisons of lap time differences of a Z06 on F1s and then on Race Slicks. We had a race day recently and I was doing 1:14s on F1s vs others doing 1:10s on Slicks.

Has anyone done a simple comparison of lap time differences with F1s vs Slicks of a Z06 on a known circuit with no other changes?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Zed,

I would think four seconds per lap is about right. I don't know that track, but the ones I do know would equat to that difference. All based on estimates, of course.

DMP

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can say at SCCA Solo2 the best DOT R's reduce time by 3 - 5%, depending on course (I'm thinking 2 - 3 seconds on a 60 second course). This is based on observations at practice events where learning to drive the course is equalized (lot of laps, best time vs. best time).

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Penforhire said:
I can say at SCCA Solo2 the best DOT R's reduce time by 3 - 5%, depending on course (I'm thinking 2 - 3 seconds on a 60 second course). This is based on observations at practice events where learning to drive the course is equalized (lot of laps, best time vs. best time).
I would agree with this statement for AutoX. I saved 4 second's using Hoosier R compounds vs F1's on the same day, same AutoX.
I don't know if the same applies on a 2.5 mile track but 5% would be a good rule of thumb.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
3-5% is probably a very good estimate of the difference between a very good street tire and a DOT legal track tire.
I have driven on F1 SCs, Kumho Ecsta MXs and numerous DOT legal track tires, but never done back to back tests to confirm the differences.
However, I did have one experience this year at Memphis where a morning qualifying session had a wet track. I had two tire choices: stock wheels with Kumho Ecsta MX (275 front, 295 rear) or 315 DOT legal slicks all around on my race wheels (17x10 front, 17x11 rear). I chose the Kumho Ecsta MX's. As the track dried during the session I got faster and faster. At the end of the session, one high speed sweeper was totally dry and I was taking that very hard. My speed on the Kumho Ecsta MXs was about 74 mph. On DOT legal track tires, it's about 78 in the same turn. I remember being surprised that they were that close.
But when you do the math, that is about 5% difference, which equates to 4 seconds on a 75 second track.
My times that session were more than 4 seconds slower though due to puddles in other areas of the track.
I ended up qualifying second to someone who put on Kumho Ecsta V700 DOT legal tires and danced around the first few laps but then got very fast as the track dried. Passed him during the race though. :D
:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts