Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add a quart of oil, what did the factory put in? I want to match it.

(the extra quart is because I'm going to take the car out to race it [autox], but I haven't change the oil from the factory)..
maybe I should.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
How the heck do you know that you need to add a quart of oil with out checking it first. (have not opened the hood in a while)

Don't forget to change the air in the tires too and drain the horn fluid to save weight while racing. :)

Joe

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
GNX Guy said:
How the heck do you know that you need to add a quart of oil with out checking it first. (have not opened the hood in a while)

Don't forget to change the air in the tires too and drain the horn fluid to save weight while racing. :)

Joe
:lol:

Too funny!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Funny stuff!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
255 Posts
The reason he is asking I think is that the VHS tape that comes with the 02 Z06 has a section that recommends adding 1 quart of oil if you are road racing, if my memory serves me right?:eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yup...the tape says to do it.:)

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
might want to break her in a bit and change the oil first..
then run the hell out of it !!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
GP

GP - General Practice(s) - Anything action you would generally take based upon a set of circumstances. Some folks may refer to this as PM (preventative maintenance) and some folks may just call it "best practices"...

I.E. - Before I autocross my new car for GP I would change the oil...

The only reason I suggest this is because individuals who shall go nameless and blameless were known in the past to go rent Mustangs from Hertz and run them at the Aggie-Cross and the Porsche Club events at TWS. At one such event a brand new Mustang with 200 miles on it and break in oil (conventional not synthetic) in the motor came in with what sounded like the rod knock demons doing their very best to escape from the motor. Now, the car was loaded onto a flatbed and taken to the motel. After an irate call to Hertz about the POS car they rented the unamed individual, a new Mustang was brought out on a flatbed. The old one was taken off and said individual got his rental, that days meals, wrecker fee, and hotel stay comped since he was inconvenieced and stuck in the middle of nowhere (College Station - his words not mine).

Some other folks payed attention to that and several other Hertz provided "rental racers" changed their oil in their new motors ( the one I had specific contact with had 500 miles). None of those cars had motor failures. Of course since this car had a fogger nozzle plumbed into the intake, and hooked to the horn button we made pretty good top speed spraying down the back straight at TWS. 112-118 if I remember.... Honk to pass took on a whole new meaning. As TAMUZ06 suggested this car was broken in hard, and after the weekend it ran harder than when we picked it up. :)

Am I suggesting you will blow your motor up if you don't, absolutely not. But as a matter of GP I would put fresh oil into my motor and flush the break in oil before I did anything. But that is just me...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts