Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the post about the paddle shifters and I've heard that it will be available on the 2006 C6. Does anyone know this for sure or have information about the transmission. I think I remember reading that shift times would be around 0.2 sec.

I also read a post from an engineer discussing this technology. Does anyone have specific information about the technology for the 2006 C6 if this is true?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Don't have the specific anser for you, but I've heard from several good sources that the 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters is for real in '06. Pontiac had a form of paddle shifter several years ago, so th etechnology is nothing new fro GM.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Paddle shifter will be available on the 2006 C6 Coupes and Verts with Automatic transmission.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The best news is that they got rid of the "Headless Doughboy" '05 steering wheel. That alone is reason enough for getting the PS slushbox. I just hope the manual cars get the new (Z06) wheels too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I really look forward to hearing some feedback once some of the forum members have had a chance to try it, especially those with experience using the current Ferrari, Audi, BMW, and Porsche technology.

When are the 2006 C6 models going to be available? I thought I remember a dealer telling me that they would be available in July.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
dmac said:
Thanks for the info. I really look forward to hearing some feedback once some of the forum members have had a chance to try it, especially those with experience using the current Ferrari, Audi, BMW, and Porsche technology.

When are the 2006 C6 models going to be available? I thought I remember a dealer telling me that they would be available in July.
The regular 2006 C6's (Vert & Coupes) will not start production until after Labor Day. That's a big change from from previous. :cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HarleyB said:
The best news is that they got rid of the "Headless Doughboy" '05 steering wheel. That alone is reason enough for getting the PS slushbox. I just hope the manual cars get the new (Z06) wheels too.
I have the EXACT same feeling about the wheels. I was debating on whether to spend the extra $1200? for the polished rims or to see where I could find the rims that are on the 2005 C6ZO6.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I heard that the new 06 Paddle Tranny CANT hold over 450hp?

Can anyone confirm the power these new tranny will be able to hold.

Thanks
G

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I would say the new six speed automatic will easily hold 505 hp and 475 lb/ft of torque.

I may be wrong but I think the transmission rating is even higher than that of the C6 Z06's hp and torque rating.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is good news. This will be my first vette and from what I hear the Mod bug is one of the most virulent organisms around so I'm sure I'll be looking to get more HP and performance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
dmac said:
I have the EXACT same feeling about the wheels. I was debating on whether to spend the extra $1200? for the polished rims or to see where I could find the rims that are on the 2005 C6ZO6.
I was referring to the C6Z06 steering wheel not the rims. The C6Z rims are cool too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dmac said:

very different set up than what you are thinking of.

Ferrari F1, BMW SMG, Audi DSG (direct shift) are all manual transmissions with electronically controlled clutches and actuation. The audi systems uses a dual clutch set up for even quicker and smoother shifting.

The Audi/Porsche Tiptronic, BMW steptronic, any other automatic w/manual option tranny (like the one that GM is using for the 06) are automatic transmissions with tq. converters only they have a computer program that allows you to change through the gears. It's smoother than the F1 style, but it's not as fast, nor will it hold the revs or rev match like a manual.

These auto systems are much cheaper to make, but the manuals are VERY difficult to get right. The biggest problem is that you and I are able to make smooth shifts with a regular stick and clutch pedal because we as humans adapt, but a computer has a very hard time since it's programmed for speed.

Also my biggest problems with these paddle shifters is that you won't get always get the downshift when you want it. Audi's DSG has solved a lot of problems (it is BY FAR the best manual transmission based system on the market, MUCH better than Ferrari and SMG.) by using two clutches for smoother shifts along with VERY fast changes, but it still isnt perfect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LBC6 said:
very different set up than what you are thinking of.

Ferrari F1, BMW SMG, Audi DSG (direct shift) are all manual transmissions with electronically controlled clutches and actuation. The audi systems uses a dual clutch set up for even quicker and smoother shifting.

The Audi/Porsche Tiptronic, BMW steptronic, any other automatic w/manual option tranny (like the one that GM is using for the 06) are automatic transmissions with tq. converters only they have a computer program that allows you to change through the gears. It's smoother than the F1 style, but it's not as fast, nor will it hold the revs or rev match like a manual.

These auto systems are much cheaper to make, but the manuals are VERY difficult to get right. The biggest problem is that you and I are able to make smooth shifts with a regular stick and clutch pedal because we as humans adapt, but a computer has a very hard time since it's programmed for speed.

Also my biggest problems with these paddle shifters is that you won't get always get the downshift when you want it. Audi's DSG has solved a lot of problems (it is BY FAR the best manual transmission based system on the market, MUCH better than Ferrari and SMG.) by using two clutches for smoother shifts along with VERY fast changes, but it still isnt perfect.
Thanks for the info. As you can tell, I have never driven any of these before, so I really appreciate your help in explaining these various technologies that can be confusing to the novice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dmac said:
Thanks for the info. As you can tell, I have never driven any of these before, so I really appreciate your help in explaining these various technologies that can be confusing to the novice.
no problem, my wife drives an Audi TT with the DSG tranny. She used to own a 03 BMW M3 with SMG and I've driven many a Ferrari with the F1 paddle shifters. And I must say that the Audi system is THE best.....although I've never driven an Enzo which I'm sure it's better, but I don't really feel like selling my house to find out.

Paddle shifters=Great for traffic(if you are like everybody else, I myself prefer a proper manual in heavy traffic since it gives me something to do), quicker lap times, and people that really don't want to deal with working a clutch but it's bad for the overall driving enjoyment as well as the level of involvement. In my opinion of course.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dmac said:
This is good news. This will be my first vette and from what I hear the Mod bug is one of the most virulent organisms around so I'm sure I'll be looking to get more HP and performance.
one thing I'd recommend is before you start modding, drive the car a lot first. See how you like it, see what you feel can and should be changed for it to become a more complete and satisfying experience for you and your needs.

Nice thing (depends on who you talk to) is that vettes, mustangs, even vipers are built with an almost need to mod in some cases. I personally don't agree nor feel the need to start modding Porsches and Ferraris because they already have a perfect balance or power, weight, cornering, and overall feel. However most american sports cars are built around the idea that consumers are going to personalize and modify.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LBC6 said:
one thing I'd recommend is before you start modding, drive the car a lot first. See how you like it, see what you feel can and should be changed for it to become a more complete and satisfying experience for you and your needs.

Nice thing (depends on who you talk to) is that vettes, mustangs, even vipers are built with an almost need to mod in some cases. I personally don't agree nor feel the need to start modding Porsches and Ferraris because they already have a perfect balance or power, weight, cornering, and overall feel. However most american sports cars are built around the idea that consumers are going to personalize and modify.
Good point. Since I'm not a veteran sports car enthusiast, it may take me a while to figure out the subtleties of what I feel may or may not need to be tweeked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts