Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I mistaken or is fan #1 at the left and #2 is at the right. Anybody have their service manual handy?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.K. 20+ views and no answer.

You guys are starting to scare me!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Im not sure, but it seems to me that the fan number one would be on the left.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Your question answered

I know the frustration of not getting an answer to your question. So, I checked the Service Manual, Volume 2, Page 6-466...

...(1) Cooling Fan-Left,
(2) Cooling Fan-Right

Charlie

·
Registered
104 Posts
Probably sounding real stupid but:

So are "left" & "right" universally agreed when it comes to cars?

Which one is which?

To be on the safe side I always use "Driver" or "Passenger" side...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K., good point, how about lower & upper. Does the manual show that by any chance? :)

And yes, I did order one, I just got lazy :eek: and waited til the very last minute. I 've been having a little problem calming my tools down. They've been so excited working on a new toy! :crazy: You have to admit the Z06 is NOT just another Vette. I can't possibly blame them!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Left and Right..

sides of ANY vehicle are from the driver's seat. As you face the front of the car from the driver's seat, left is left and right is right.

When something is referred to as being on the right side, it is the passenger side and the left side is the driver's side. I know someone is going to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion so remember...we're talking Corvettes here...DOMESTIC Corvettes.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by upper and lower. That should be self explanatory, up is upper and anything below that is lower.

Charlie

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NYCHASM,

First of all thanks for the look-up help. This is getting really funny! :lol: What I meant by upper and lower is that the left fan actually is located on the lower left and the right fan is actually located in the upper right. :lol: IE: upper/lower.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm resetting fan on/off settings and their a little off, fan 1 is not coming on at my desired temp. and fan 2 is late. I just couldn't beleive I could have mixed them up. Reseting fans gets tricky. Sometimes you set it for say, 200, but it may not come on til 206 due to variances so you have to play with it. From what I understand gauge temp and digital temp even vary. Not to mention on C4 models one sensor (digital) is by the inlet and one is by the oulet (analog), :eek: they usually have a 15 degree difference in and out of the motor. ;) If you didn't know that, you would think your gauges were inaccurate. My C4 is set at 180/190 but they actually come on at 182/189, hence where the playing comes in!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Referring to NYCHSM's reply,
Absolutely correct. Universal among automobiles, and aircraft, left and right are referred to as if in the driver's / pilot seat facing forward. You will also note that part numbers for left side components usually end in an odd number or have an odd number suffix. Vice versa for the right side. Occasionally may have a letter suffix, A for left, B for the right.
And for those who might leave the water running, and live in or near a flood plain, Left =Port / Right= Starboard.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Sorry for the delay answering...

... but I had a problem signing on this evening. Anyway, the LEFT fan is LOWER and is the NUMBER 1 fan and the RIGHT is the UPPER fan and is NUMBER 2.

I'm familiar with the C4 as I still own an '86. I installed fan controllers in that one but haven't gotten to do the '02 yet.

Maybe I'll give you a holler for some tips and tricks when I'm ready to do it. After all, you sound like you'll have all the bus worked out by then.

Good Luck,

Charlie

Give me a shout if you need anything else from the shop manual before yours arrive.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Well, yes, the drivers side of the radiator is the #1, and the passenger side is #2.
However, from the factory, the fans both work at the same time, every time. They are run in series for the low fan speeds.
Then, all three relays energize for parallel operation, and high speeds of the fans.
But as noted, they both turn on and off at the same time.
Besttoall, c4c5:eek2:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
RE: operating spec's as written

c4c5 or anyone

Are you actually saying they have seperate relays for running at different speeds? Please elabororate on the complete specifications if you can. Based on your information I may set up my system a whole new way.

I need all specs

on/off settings/variance
high/low settings/temp
a/c engage
you name it

complete operational specs/all conditions
as complete as possible

There should be a flow chart in the book I would imagine

Please please

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Yes, there are 3 relays, which control fan function.
Low speeds are commanded on at 226 and off at 213. The low speed is also commanded on if the AC compressor is on. This is dictated by AC freon pressure.
Now, when this occurs, relay number one is enabled and the grounding source for the cooling motors, is channeled through the #1 relay, and through the drivers side motor, then through the winding side of the #3 relay, to the passenger side motor, then to ground. This provides a ground source, however, sustains more resistance, so you are not getting as much current flow through the motors.
Now, hi speed is on at 235 and off at 217, and the paths of electrical current now run through all 3 relays. Now, relay 2 and 3 are energized, along with #1. What this does is change the grounding paths to make each motor have its own grounding source, which allows more electrical current, therefore, higher fan speeds.
HOpe this helps, c4c5:eek2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts