Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to remove the stripes after they have been on the car for about a year.I only used water to put them on,but was concerned about damage to the paint.ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SAFE WAY TO REMOVE THEM? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
took mine off with a heat gun
did not come off in one piece but was easy

·
Registered
620 Posts
Set the car out in the sun for a few hours.
Then heat the stripes with a hair dryer.
Don't get the hair dryer too close to the paint.
Peel them off.
Very easy.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Assuming you used a good quality vinyl, the material should not have deteriorated in one year. Use the hair dryer (not a heat gun, unless you are experienced using one around car finishes) to heat the vinyl at one corner. Use your fingernail to pick the corner up and slowly peel back at a 180 degree angle. In other words you want to try to lay the peeled piece of vinyl back along the part that's still adhered to the paint. Pulling in this fashion tends to remove most of the adhesive with the vinyl. Don't heat the material so much that it stretches. If it tears, just start again. A quality vinyl is thick enough so that it shouldn't tear. The vinyl used for these type of applications are at least double the thickness of a tape pinstripe. If you have left a glue residue, use 3M Adhesive Remover or, something I always keep around the garage, Prep-Sol. Body shops use it as a final step before paint to remove wax, grease, etc. It can be a tedious job but, done correctly, it will all work out and you should not see any evidence that the stripes were ever there.
Good luck.

Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts