Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
as the article indicates as well as people whom knew the driver the death was not due to fire related injuries however fire suppression would be good insurance. there is a memorial drive on the 24th in their honor in So Cal. the reason for the crash as alleged by some is the pit entrance being set up in the middle of the straight away and a F-car pulled in front of him and he lost control. I attended the same track with the Ferrari club 2 weeks later and everyone was still nutted up over safety issues.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Old news... I still don't know what they hit. I was there two weeks ago no big deal. They changed the pit exit to a questionably safer place. The GT must have been using the roval? On the pur infield there is very little to hit and the grass run off is manacured to be at pavement level...very safe.

·
Banned
809 Posts
DJ -- Where have you been? This was HUGE news last month on nearly every board that I visit.

I think that the 165 mph crash into the retaining wall is what killed them.

Sal

·
Registered
722 Posts
I hear DJ's neighborhood got hit with a late season snowstorm again.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
While old news, this accident does emphasize the need for runoff areas and compressable barriers, if barriers are needed.

At the ALMS race at Lime Rock last weekend, one of the C6Rs with Fellows driving ran off the road in the big, downhill right-hander, skidded across the grass and hit a tire barrier that was held together by some kind of elastic webbing. The effect was like hitting a stretched rubber band that compressed but never really recoiled. Not only did Fellows escape injury, but also, despite hitting at well over 100 MPH, the car, though scuffed up, lived to race again and finished fourth overall.

Road courses today need to reevaluate their walls and barriers as too many still have naked concrete walls that could be replaced by compressable barriers and catch fences or at least covered with better, compressable barriers. If you will note from the picture, the CGT is sitting against a naked--and very hard--concrete wall.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was aware of it when it happened but had not seen the pics and didn't know the fire was involved. After reviewing the info and link with pics on 7/2 I thought that it illustrated the need for a properly prepped car and some kind of fire suppression on board, even for DE's, and the dangers involved.

I used it as a power point device not as a news item.

·
Registered
164 Posts
DJ,

Agreed. I used to run just like you full fire suppression and a handheld for the small stuff which 90% of fires are. However, I dumped the handheld because the handheld can come loose in a crash and then you have a missle flying in your cockpit. The safer car has less junk in it. Yes it is true that the mounts should be metal and survive 20 g's or whatever but shit happens and it just can't happen if it isn't there. So that's my 2 cents on handhelds with full fire suppression. What do you think of that line of thinking?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was there the same weekend as fatbillybob (Sat, June 18 only.)

They were running the interior course, same as we did. The wall of k-rails the Porsche CGT hit is now covered by a row of tires, a row of bales, a 2nd row of tires, and a 2nd row of bales. The wall runs along the right side of the track and slants away from the track, then turns back so that a section of it is approx. 45 degrees to the direction of travel. That is where they hit it (before the pedestrian bridge which goes over the track.) I saw overhead images showing much more of the surrounding area than on the above lonk. No way were they doing 165 at that point. I hit 120 at the braking point much farther down the track. Nonetheless 2 guys are dead. :(

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FATBB:

My Hand Held FE mount is just as strong as my Fire Suppression Tank mount.* I use Billet Aluminum Bottle Mounts from Pro Werks; 2 on the bottle body and one for the neck of the Fire Suppression Tank.

I have a metal to metal to metal mount that has double quick release straps on it. The Quick Release latches are very stiff and positive. They are either ON or OFF.

Consists of :
- BK Mount #R-2115bolted to seat rail mounts
- Amerex #F05 Double Strap Mount bolted to BK mount.**

* New rules in some and probably to follow, ALL sanctioning bodies require that you not only have 2 positive metal to metal mounts for the bottle body but also add a mount to support (and protect) the neck of the bottle

** Likewise the Amerex mount has 2 positive straps for the FE body AND has a support for the neck of the Hand Held FE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts