Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the center caps and lug nuts and installed the wheels.
I think they look great. It is the look I was after.
There was not a problem with porosity as was suspected.
The pics will be on this thread just as soon as the moderators or J.C. get them on. It will be much faster if they do it than if I try to do it myself. Thanks to mods and J.C.
Dave

·
Registered
764 Posts
Dave,

Very nice wheels! Are you taking advantage of our nice weather today and getting a little brake dust on them. :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Dave,

Wheels look super. Where did you have them done? By the way, I especially like the look of them on the T/R :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those are sweeeeet X four:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
All I can say is "Wow!"

I never liked the look of chrome or polished wheels, usually because it makes them look like plastic, IMO. But the z06 wheels polish up real nice.

Now I have to decide if I want to get mine polished or machine finished like Jacob has. I think I like how his look a little more, but its definately going to be a tough descision now!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice look!

Dave,
Can you confirm that you have Speedline Wheels? I read a post that a block of 02 Z06's had forged wheels substituted because of availability problems (again), so you may have forged wheels. I dont remember the post, suspect it was in the C5 registry? Im either going to do the same look as Jacob, but if they can be polished, I'd rather follow you lead. My car has the cast-spun wheels for sure, sorry I didn't note the affected sequence #'s.

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the compliments,
The wheels definitely are spun cast, not forged.
The car was built in mid-July.
The wheels say "Speedline" and "Made in Italy" on the back.
I, too like the machined look of Jacob's wheels but the polished look was what I was after.
This may help a little: The wheels, polished, have a little less shine than the chrome lug nut covers but a tiny bit more shine than the center caps. No clearcoat on the wheels.
Wheels were done at Motomotion in Medina Ohio. Phone is
800-725-2330. Quality shop. My first experience with them.
$800 per set to strip and polish. Clearcoat extra.
$25 for a set of 20 chrome lug nut covers.
$25 total to dismount/mount and balance.
Dave

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMA,
I never used their website but I think it is: Motomotion.com.
To e-mail them is: [email protected].
90% of their business is wheel repair. I was looking for a shop that worked exclusively on wheels and not a shop that did plating, bumpers, etc. I Had to go 110 miles from home to find the right shop. This was the first set of Z06 wheels they did.
I did say I would mention their name if the wheels were nice and here I am.
I worked mostly with the owner, Mark ?
Dave

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dave,
Those look great.

I was just wondering, why didn't you just go with chrome, less money and no polishing??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Polished it is!

Corvette Dave,
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try the polished route, yours wheels look great!

Anybody recommend a polishing shop in the Nor-Cal area?

Bob

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SD,
You raise a good question about the chrome wheels.
I had chrome wheels on my "99 coupe and over a year and a half period, I had to send 2 of the wheels back due to chrome peeling off. This was from a well known company from California. I will not say the name because they took back both wheels and returned a freshly chromed one to me with no charge. You understand the hassle of taking the wheel off, taking it to have the tire dismounted, sending the wheel back, waiting a week or two for the new one, mounting and balancing it, remounting it on the car that has been sitting with three wheels.
Just thought I would try the polished wheels this time.
Now my question to you and others is; Don't people polish chrome wheels also? I know I did. :)
I have chrome and nonclearcoated aluminum parts on my motorcycle and I polish both of them equally as much.

Dave

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have chromed wheels on all my vehicles for the past 7 years, never had any problems with peeling. 1995 Monte Carlo SS, 1994 GMC Sierra, 1998 3/4T 4x4 Suburban, and my Z06. Never had to polish them. I use brake dust remover on them when I wash the car, that's it.

On my '93 dually, and my '94 GMC I had polished rims and finally got tired of polishing them every month to look good. Sold the dually with polished Alcoa rims, later bought chromed for the GMC after seeing how well they did on my wifes SS.

I live where it rarely rains and I only drive in the snow several times a year on trips, maybe that makes the difference? I can say however, in my experience that cast aluminum tended to dull faster than the forged Alcoa's. Let me know in about a month or two how the polishing is holding up.

Your challenge as mine was is to keep the rims as bright as the center caps.

I also looked into clear coating, beware, some will yellow. and most will dull or haze.

Many of us have chose chome, and as you know we don't keep our problems to ourselves, you'll hear if the chome starts peeling or chipping.

Your car and rims really look great, good job and best of luck.:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts