Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a lot of research on my DE/Street application, I decided to get CCW 18x10.5 for the front with Toyo RA1 275/35/18s, and on the rear I am getting CCW 18x11.5 with Toyo RA1 305/35/18s. John at CCW talked me out of the PSCs, beacuse PSCs on the street can be slippery at street operating temps. Thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bob,
Congrats on making the tough decision. I know what a pain that is. Looks like that will be a nice setup for you. :cheers:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the set-up will serve me well. I have not been abletofind anything negative about the Toyo RA1s. When the Toyos wear out, I can always try some PSCs or Nitto RIIs. I almost went with 17" wheels all around, but that would have limited me to Kumho V700s. I like the fact that the 18" wheels give me more tire options. :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Bob,

Nice choice, I've got the same size CCW Classic Race wheels with stainless bolts and 555R2's.

Be shure to remove the rotor retaining clips AND scrape all signs of junk off the rotor face or the fronts are going to wobble. I ditched the clips but had to pull it apart again to clean the rotors and that eliminated the wobble.

·
Registered
149 Posts
huh? those little washer thingies that hold the rotors in place actually cause the wheels to go off balance?!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Mafia,

The retention washers fit into a recess machined into the stock wheel.

Aftermarket wheels may not have this recess and thus the wheel is crushing the washer and does not sit flat.

On my car, the shadow of the stock wheel left a ring of grunge that looked like black paint around the face of the rotor. The CCW's have a larger hub OD, and they sat about 1/4" out onto the crud.

First time out on the new wheels and it shook hard up front from 80 up.

I used a sharp wood chisel to clean up the rotor faces and solved it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
What does going with 18" wheels all around do to the rake we are supposed to maintain with the Z? That is why GM put 17" on the front. :-?

Bob :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey rpallas,

Front tires on the 17" rim are series 40 aspect ratio and have more sidewall than a series 35 on an 18" rim. I believe the overall Dia. on my front 18" tires is very close to the stock 17". Thus no net impact on rake.

I believe GM went with the 17" front for styling reasons, and to make for a comfortable ride that is not likely to oversteer = safe for the average driver.

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
FYI the clips are only there to hold the rotors in place when the car goes down the assembly line. When you change rotors (or for this application) ditch the clips and don't worry about them. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with 18" in the front because the shorter side wall on 18" tires compensates for the larger diameter wheel, and therefore, no traction control issues. The shorter sidewall front tires should provide a little more stifness in the front when cornering.

·
Banned
809 Posts
There was a guy on here a while ago out of Texas that ran an interesting CCW set up. He had 18" fronts and 17" rears. It made sense if you think about it. The 18"s up front for more bite, better turn in response and to clear big brakes and the 17"s in the rear for traction coming out of the corners, so you could put the power down.

Sal

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sal,

that's the hot autocross set up. The 17"s in the back allow for the tire to squat and weight to transfer to the back of the car. The 18s in front allow for quicker turn in (yes, you said that!).

I still think it looks funky, though.

·
Banned
809 Posts
David Pintaric said:
Sal,

that's the hot autocross set up. The 17"s in the back allow for the tire to squat and weight to transfer to the back of the car. The 18s in front allow for quicker turn in (yes, you said that!).

I still think it looks funky, though.
It's a race car though. Looks should follow function.

If it's good for the autox course, is there any reason why it wouldn't be good for a road course?

Sal

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DJ Worm also suggested 18" in the front and 17" in the rear for road course applications, and I am sure he knows much more than me on this point.

·
Registered
967 Posts
salvador said:
It's a race car though. Looks should follow function.

If it's good for the autox course, is there any reason why it wouldn't be good for a road course?

Sal
:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts