Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't driven in a manner that would engage it before, but I set out to experiment with it a bit. I'm a pretty tame and polite driver when other cars are around, but I went out late at night when there was no traffic, and found a nice deserted 270-degree on-ramp to a 75 MPH highway to play with. The 270 dumps right out into the highway with almost no straight acceleration lane, so most traffic merges in from there at about 30 or 40 MPH.

I went around in 2nd at a pretty good clip, and then as the 270 started to straighten out into the highway proper, I got on the power early, while still cornering fairly hard, which usually will skid the back end outwards. Odd feeling - you can feel it starting to go, and then it just kinda tucks itself back inward and the "Active Handling Engaged to Cover Up for your Lame-a$$ Driving Abilities" message appears on the DIC :D

I also experimented with 1st gear with traction control turned off (totally off, not even in competitive mode). Cool evening, OAT of maybe 45 or 50F. I never "dump the clutch" or power shift, just coz I don't like to do that to my cars, but I tried a rolling start punching it from 1200 RPM. It won't break the tires loose at any RPM in 1st, which was kinda what I figured, since I live about 5000 ft above sea level. I'll eventually have to do something about the whole power situation I think :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
active handling kick in

Being new at driving a 02 EB(what else)it is was a surprise the first few times active handling kicks in..The vette is soo!!!! forgiving. It is like you r on a slot car track.Had it kick in on a bridge ramp with metal expanshion joints ,start to feel a little slide then car takes over,makes u feel like vette wants more. I'll get used to driving a vette yet.

GASH 02 EB frm dlr. 9-28-01 born on 8-01

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
When you are able to go to work the next day with no damage to your car remember that you spent a little extra to get a bit of modern day safety and live! Yeah these cars are quick, too quick for most mortals and you can thank AH for that! NEVER turn that off!!!!! :cheers: Bill

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
AH is almost a necessity on this beast! It woke me up a number of times, and glad to have it! :cheers:

Zip :z: :z:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
novetteyet said:
It won't break the tires loose at any RPM in 1st, which was kinda what I figured, since I live about 5000 ft above sea level. I'll eventually have to do something about the whole power situation I think :D
Hmm, now that I'm in Albuquerque I should try that. When I saw 'bout sea level in CA, it would start to spin wildly in 1st at about 4000 rpm or so.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
My 01 always steps out when I powershift 1-2,2-3. Put it in comp mode and keep that AH on!!!:yeadog:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts