Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was a six week wait, but they finally arrived today. Lg Motorsports was very apologetic for the long wait and gave me free shipping for being patient. :yeadog: I got the longtubes with the high flow cats and x-pipe. I plan on doing the install myself and was wondering if anyone can help me find some good threads about the install. I no the o2 sensers can be tricky (especially routing the wires so they don't melt). Also I don't have a lift so it'll be all done with jackstands and ramps. Anyone whos done a similar install please chime in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
also, I had to loosen my starter for the passenger side to go in. Make sure you get ALL the wires wiretied away from the header. I thought I did but I was proved wrong about a week later when my starter wire to the soleniod was burn and then grounded out and popped a fuse. I had to uninstall the header and splice a new piece of wire in. Its a pita to do it twice so just becareful and make sure you did it right the first time. goodluck. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Header to head bolts are 2 pass. USE ANTI-SIEZE
First pass is 11 lb. Ft.
Second pass is 18 lb. Ft.
AIR pipe to exhaust manifold 15 lb. Ft.
2) Gm#12553617 air tube gkts.

hpipe to catback gaskets (2x GMPN 10276792)
12558573 gaskets GM LS1 gaskets (#12558573)
ls1howto.com
Thermo-Tec hi-temp tape
Instructions posted by Lou:

The driver side header goes in from the bottom. Remove old exhaust system back to the 2 bolt muffler flanges in front of the differential. To do this, remove the spark plugs and ground strap on the driver side and install them from the bottom.

Use only stock GM- LS1 exhaust gaskets, NOT LS6 gaskets. Install all bolts finger tight in the header flange at the head. Be very careful to not cross thread the header bolts. You can install the passenger side from the bottom or top. If you go from the bottom, you might have to pry the engine over a little to make room for one flange that gets in the way. Or you can install the passenger side from the top but you will have to remove the coil packs and valve cover to install them from the top after removing the coil pack and valve cover on that side. We have done it both ways with equal success.

Do not tighten the bolts on the flange all the way until you get the bell housing bolts started. Once they are started, then you can tighten the exhaust flange on the engine.

If you have the hand made version, you should install the off road pipes or Cats with the V flange now. Some times we put a small amount of “Ultra Copper Silicon” on the V flange at the end of the collectors to insure that no air leaks into the header.
If you have the LG Pro Long Tube headers, install the slip fit X pipe using 2 of the supplied clamps. The clamp bolts should face outward at the front of the X pipe, and inward at the rear of the x pipe. >>> A leak here will confuse the O2 sensor and make the car run rich. <<<

Then continue to install the remainder of the system back to the mufflers. Keep the threaded parts of the clamps up out of harms way when they are tight for ground clearance.
After the engine is run, all bolts and clamps should be re tightened. Or we sometimes tap the pipes to vibrate the system to get the clamps totally tight.
O2 sensors:
This is very important. When you remove your old headers, you will remove all four 02 sensors. Set the old front sensors aside and do not use them, the wires are too short
Install the 02 simulators and plug them into the car harness, where the rear 02 sensors were attached to the wiring harness. The car harness has a square plug and so does the 02 simulator.
Next, take the original REAR 02 Sensors, and plug the LGM adapter into them. That will give you a long wire, with the LGM adapter which will allow this 02 sensor to be used as your main front 02sensor. Install the long 02 sensors in the collectors of the new LG headers, and make sure to route them away from any hot tubes. You must install the 02 wires one side at a time to not mix them up. The sensor on the right header (collector) gets plugged into the right side (Passenger side) and the one on the left collector gets routed to the left side plug in the car harness.
It is important that the 02 sensors go to the correct side of the car. If the 02 sensors are not hooked up correctly, the car will not idle correctly. This should be the first thing you check if a problem arises after the install. Just hook the driver’s side 02 to the driver’s side wiring harness, and do the same on the passenger side. Our 02 sensors angle across and can easily be confused. We drill a 1” hole in the upper heat shield to help route the wires, but this is not mandatory. But extra care must be taken to avoid the hot pipes so not to melt the wires.

As to your problems, you need the driver’s side back 02 sensor (with the adapter attached) plugged into the driver side front hook up. Do the same for the passenger side. The SIMs go into the plugs for the back 02 sensors on both sides. I would also pull the battery to reset the computer and then see if you get the check engine light. If you still do you need to pull the codes and define what you are getting.
Here is how and what they mean.

Please call us if you have any install questions. 972-272-7753
Hope this makes your job easier.

Also be sure to keep the 02 sims away from the headers. While they are heat resistant, too much and they will not work.

Speaking of Dipsticks...
Tip: before trying to wiggle out the dipstick, especially for a first timer, remove the dipstick from the tube first. I was pushing in and out to get that darn tube out, I didn't realize the tip of the stick hangs past the tube and bent and twisted it up like a pretzel. I tried to straighten it out.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Congrats on getting LG's.

These are quite easy to install and it will even go faster if you can con a buddy into helping, this really pays off when feeding the LG's into the engine bay (and extra set of eyes looking down from the top or up from the bottom, depending upon side). It is possible to route the passenger side header without loosing the starter, but you need the second person and have good 3D spacial skills to figure out just how to rotate and lower the header into place.

If you are considering a chassis plate, now is the time to do this install, because if you do it latter, we will end up having to drop the exhaust to install it.

Routing wires. You really need to take your time and make sure that they are well away from the headers and the same goes for 02 sims if you are using them (when they get hot they will generate codes). This can be done without using any insulation material, but wire wrap and/or Kool sox material does give added insurance.

Bottom line: Follow the directions in the link above and take your time. Good Luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all your help. I think i'll give it a try next weekend. I should be able to persuade a friend to help with a twelve pack :mug: , so it shouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
vettefanatic said:
Well it was a six week wait, but they finally arrived today. Lg Motorsports was very apologetic for the long wait and gave me free shipping for being patient. :yeadog: I got the longtubes with the high flow cats and x-pipe. I plan on doing the install myself and was wondering if anyone can help me find some good threads about the install. I no the o2 sensers can be tricky (especially routing the wires so they don't melt). Also I don't have a lift so it'll be all done with jackstands and ramps. Anyone whos done a similar install please chime in.
VF:

Just ordered my LGM longtubes today and will be installing them at home on jackstands, too. Have you got yours on yet? If so, how did it go?

Best,
Troy Nicks

·
21,355 Posts
Congrats on your new headers. I really like the LG's because of the ease of installation and the way they fit...just perfect!

It's pretty straight forward installation. Take your time, get the car high as you can off the ground. Don't tighten anything until you get the tips aligned and straight. Make sure starter wires don't come near the tubes.

Have fun and enjoy! :thumb:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi guys,
thanks for going with LG Headers. we appreciate the business.

Borla said that they should ship our next batch of headers in about 8 or 9 days. We are behind on shipping orders because of that.

Hope that you have fun with the results.

Thanks again and good luck.

Lou gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Troy Nicks said:
VF:

Just ordered my LGM longtubes today and will be installing them at home on jackstands, too. Have you got yours on yet? If so, how did it go?

Best,
Troy Nicks
Yeah I got them on and am loving every minute of it. The install went fine, just make sure you have enough beer and a good friend to help you out. The whole install probably took me about 8 hours from start to finish. Doing it in the garage on jackstands wasn't a big deal, but it gets a little tricky when you need to get the front end up 18". Enjoy them when you get them, you made the right choice. :jammin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any 02 issues? I am considering long tubes for my 99 hardtop but have been reading about possible 02 issues.

From reading the thread it sounds like the rear 02's get used in the pre-cat positions with the use of the adapter? Is this because the rear 02's heat up more and is required with long tubes since they are mounted furthur downstream and cant heat up as much?
Thanks for any help, I had long tubes on my 97 Z28 and had all sorts of 02 issues wish I would have known about this method before.

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
JTS97Z28 said:
Any 02 issues? I am considering long tubes for my 99 hardtop but have been reading about possible 02 issues.

From reading the thread it sounds like the rear 02's get used in the pre-cat positions with the use of the adapter? Is this because the rear 02's heat up more and is required with long tubes since they are mounted furthur downstream and cant heat up as much?
Thanks for any help, I had long tubes on my 97 Z28 and had all sorts of 02 issues wish I would have known about this method before.

Thanks

Bingo!

The rear 02 sensors are a higher wattage (138 compared to 75 watts) and they get rid of the Insuficent switching code and heater codes.

this is NOT the case on a 2004 Corvette which requires the front 02 sensor in the front position. We supply an extension cord for the 04, and now for the 05 Corvette as well.

Thanks
Lou G

·
Registered
55 Posts
LGM added a wideband sensor bung to my left side header collector and had the headers Jet-Hot coated. The WB bung is outboard and just after the front O2 sensor bung. Lou's a great guy to work with - keep winning, LGM!

This thread helped during my home installation. I'd add a couple things:

FRC Tom suggested ARP header studs. I'd second that emotion - it's really nice to just hang the headers on the studs during installation, instead of threading header bolts. You don't get instructions with the stud pack though, and I'd recommend calling ARP to find out about lubing, torque values, etc. The clamping concept is different than bolts.

Also, someone posted about using Thermo-tec insulation to protect the starter wires. I did that and also used their stainless banding to tie everything back. I just wish I'd thought about plugging in the O2 wiring extensions and O2 sims and wrapping and tying them, too, before installing the headers. Especially on the right side, it's very difficult to do this after the header's in place.

Anyway, here's a shot of the starter wires wrapped and tied back, and the ARP header studs. Of course, I removed the spark plugs before installing the headers. As FRC Tom assured me, there were no clearance problems with the headers hanging up on the studs during installation.

And here's one of the left side with the headers installed and the stud nuts on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
vettefanatic said:
....I no the o2 sensers can be tricky (especially routing the wires so they don't melt). Also I don't have a lift so it'll be all done with jackstands and ramps. Anyone whos done a similar install please chime in.

You might want to seriously consider getting some Kool Sox heat shields to protect the wires from the heat that will be generated from the headers: :yeadog:

http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89574

1 - 15 of 15 Posts