Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some may have read the thread where MCRacing had entered my Z in the World of Wheels, but the tuning had not been completed and we still had a little issue with the new blower bracket. Therefore, right after the WoW last weekend, it went back to the shop. The Procharger engineers came out to MC and worked with Matt the owner and got the bracket issue resolved. They finished the tuning and I picked her up this morning. Damn, it feels good to be back in the saddle.

We detuned the power a little bit so that I won't have to run race gas all the time. Only about 770rwhp/757rwtq so no large boost over my old numbers but this setup should be much safer.

Mike

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Bring it down, I wanna see it, ride in it and touch it all funny. :p

Have you ordered your wheelie bar yet? :sneaky:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Mike,

Could you explain "de-tuning"? I've seen several references to this in other posts, especially when talking about high output setups. Does this involve lowering the boost? Making the car richer or leaner? Reducing the timing advance? Something else?

EDIT: Also - what is "safer"? Does that refer strictly to making the car less prone to engine destroying knock / predetonation or to other things as well?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

John Dells.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Only 770rwhp/757rwtq, Holy Sugar :thumb: :thumb:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DELLZ06 said:
Hi Mike,

Could you explain "de-tuning"? I've seen several references to this in other posts, especially when talking about high output setups. Does this involve lowering the boost? Making the car richer or leaner? Reducing the timing advance? Something else?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

John Dells.
John, in my case that means going back to a little larger blower pulley to reduce the boost as well as keeping the A/F on the 'rich' side to keep it safer at high rpm's (especially on the track).
One of the most popular things done by a number of tuners is to go for a really high number dyno run (using anything from different back tires, dangerously lean A/F, timing, etc), but then most of the tuners will back the thing down before it leaves the shop so that it won't have issues during normal or track driving. For example, we could have very easy run this up to 850+rwhp using the smaller pulley and 116 octane race gas but unless I wanted to run race gas all the time, it would have started pinging or even worse.

I guess then that I define 'detuning' as running the power (hp/tq) at levels less than it is capable of.
Hope that makes sense. :)

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Mike,

That was an excellent explanation -- thank you for your response.

:)

John Dells.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cave Man said:
Bring it down, I wanna see it, ride in it and touch it all funny. :p

Have you ordered your wheelie bar yet? :sneaky:
CM, no more wheelies for me brutha (I hope). Launching it that strong was kind of an accident and it is way too hard on the drivetrain to pull that again. We just had no idea that the Hoosiers would stick that hard on the street.

Mike

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mike,

The weather looks like it is starting to turn around. Glad to see you permanently back on the road, at least for a while.

We'll have to get the KC gang together soon.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Alright Mike!!! I bet you're feelin' pretty good right now!! :D Only 770.....jeez!! Scardy cat!!! J/K I would sure like a ride at the Fest!!

I'm hoping to be getting mine back soon. NOthing at all like yours but a little bump. I getting to understand how you felt while you were getting her together though!! Have fun my friend!! :coo:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mjustmike said:
Alright Mike!!! I bet you're feelin' pretty good right now!! :D Only 770.....jeez!! Scardy cat!!! J/K I would sure like a ride at the Fest!!

I'm hoping to be getting mine back soon. NOthing at all like yours but a little bump. I getting to understand how you felt while you were getting her together though!! Have fun my friend!! :coo:
Thanks Mike!!!
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the mods you're doing :thumb:

Mags, you won't see me at the strip for 2 or 3 weeks. I've gotta get a little drive time under my belt just to get familiar again. It's been 9 months!
I still have to take her back in a couple of weeks to have them install the new Roller Rockers and Waggoner valve covers. Probably just 2 or 3 hours work. Might even pick up 5 or 10 hp... you never know ;)

Mike

·
Registered
999 Posts
Congrats!! Have been following your project through the forum for sometime and you have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. Plus a few bucks.

Good luck with it. Now go get some nine second time slips.

JWz06.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Mike,
Great to hear that your car is back on the road! I can't imagine what if must feel like with all that power! Mine is kinda scary with just the H/C upgrade I have done this winter.
I know you'll keep us all posted once you start getting some time slips with that beast. Good luck and be careful! Jim

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Glad to hear you've got your car back ! try to keep it in one piece at least until the fest :lol: I want to see it ! At least you'll be able to drive your own car this year at the Fest !

Rob :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Glad to hear you got the beast back Mike. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts