Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Les picked up his '02 EB Z, he gave me the op to test drive his car and afterwards I knew I wanted to get the '02 shocks put on the '01.

Soon afterwards I bought the shocks and a couple of months later, they are finally installed :p Ironically, I ran into Les at the dealership today as I was picking up my car... Wish I had time to check out those headers Les, but hopefully soon.

I put about 50 miles around town and on the highway and here are my initial impressions for those who care...

I like 'em. Not a dramatic change but subtle enuff that its worth doing if your goal is a smoother ride. Definitely worth it if you can save the labor expense and install them yourself cause they are only a little over $100 a shock. I had the service dept install them so it was a slight ouch in the wallet.

It's hard to describe ride quality but my opinions do mirror Hib's in his '02 review and will have to paraphrase so that I can get my point across.

With the '01 shocks you can take the car from your driveway drive to the racetrack and be able to kick arse in autox without changing the setup. Then when the racing is over you can drive it back onto the streets where the ride is firm but never unsettling, handling the imperfection of the city/highway roads perfectly. It's hard make a car with such balance between road and track but GM did it with the '01. But the trade off is a bias on the firm side and the "choppiness" that you feel when going thru imperfections in the road that is described in Hib's article.

When you go thru a wave or bump on the road, the response is a "sharp" chop. Never an unsettling feel. Just the opposite. You feel completely glued to the road but you are getting 100% feedback of the road from the tires and the suspension that you can feel with every little bump and wave and also hear in the form of more road noise though the car.

The '02 does take most of that the choppiness away. The ride is still firm but that bias has shifted towards city driving where instead of the waves and bumps in the roads giving off a "sharp" choppy feel, it feels as though the shocks do "absorb" those waves and bumps. Another analogy that may help, you feel like you are "going over" those bumps and waves instead of "hitting" those bumps and waves.

So instead of 100% feedback from the road, it's more like 90-95%. Am I saying you have less "feel" of the road... maybe I am but maybe over time it's just readjusting to a different way to read the road. It means that the ride is a little smoother... the car feels a little more solid and marginally quieter. Enuff for my wife to notice.

Interesting thought... when I launched the car from a standstill and made a run down the street, I thought the car actually "felt" a little slower and remember that Les and maybe a post or two from others commenting on "SOTP" feel being no different or "slower" than the '01 and after driving the car for a few miles with the new setup, I am thinking that the new shocks actually "squat" under hard acceleration.... just enuff to reduce that "SOTP" feeling that many measure by. Where with the '01 shocks, they are so stiff that they hardly give under hard acceleration meaning great SOTP feel to the driver, the '02s are doing what they were revalved to do and will take away from that SOTP feeling.

I don't have track experience but GM has claimed :roll: faster lap times over the '01s so I will say it's a win-win situation until we have some racers on the board give their impressions of the '02 on the track. I will say it was interesting that C&D got 1.0g lat. accel. last year with the '01Z and this year they got something like .98 on the '02Z. Hmmm.

Hope that helps anyone that was thinking of getting the '02s.

Don

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Nice write up Don. I talked to a former NCCC National autox champion who owns an '01 and '02 Z06 and races them almost exclusively. He said that on the track, he could not tell a difference. I don't think he streeted either enough to know about the street manners. Your write up helps fill in what I was missing. Thanks.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Thanks ...

Don, thanks, I too want to do this to my '01, but have been wating for someone else to do it and write about the difference. THANKS. This forum is very cool. Plus, I just figured out what SOTP means. What a great day I am having. :)

P.S. Could you post the part number for the '02 rear shocks, please?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Thanks ...

part number 10314571.

they were going for $108 a shock when I bought them.

i just took another 50 mile trek with the wife and definitely liking the improvement and so did she. now just gotta get or make me a partition and cut the noise down some more.

glad people enjoyed the write up.

don
proexpert said:
Don, thanks, I too want to do this to my '01, but have been wating for someone else to do it and write about the difference. THANKS. This forum is very cool. Plus, I just figured out what SOTP means. What a great day I am having. :)

P.S. Could you post the part number for the '02 rear shocks, please?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Re: Thanks ...

don527 said:
part number 10314571.

they were going for $108 a shock when I bought them.

i just took another 50 mile trek with the wife and definitely liking the improvement and so did she. now just gotta get or make me a partition and cut the noise down some more.

glad people enjoyed the write up.

don
Great report-its just how i feel about my 02 shocks except i prefer them on a road coarse-- seem to be able to hang the rear end out a little smoother in high speed swepers.Next try the POLY bushing for the sway bars and adjustable end links-really can tune the bars .

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Re: Thanks ...

What kind of POLY bushings did you go with?
How does it change the ride of the car with POLY?

Don

Z11409 said:
Great report-its just how i feel about my 02 shocks except i prefer them on a road coarse-- seem to be able to hang the rear end out a little smoother in high speed swepers.Next try the POLY bushing for the sway bars and adjustable end links-really can tune the bars .

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks ...

don527 said:
What kind of POLY bushings did you go with?
How does it change the ride of the car with POLY?

Don

Poly bushings are avaiable from VETTE BRAKES,You have to measure the diameter of your bars in mm.Wife says ride is a little firmer-I cannot tell.The T1 adjustable end links have no nylon bushings in them so they send a lot more noise thru the sterring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts