Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am coming closer to making my decision on picking up a 02 Z06. I didn't test drive one today, but I did sit in and start one up for a few revs. I have to say I was very impressed, even just sitting ther in idle. There is no substitute for a nice V8; certainly a big difference form my 996 coupe. Not that the Pcar exhaust note is bad, it just isn't BAD like the z06. I still can't quite drop out of my 996, but now that I have z06 on the brain, it is harder and harder to resist. AHHHHHHHH :-? :D :D Anybody here drop out of a 911 and into a z? If so impressions or regrets?

BK

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had a 96' twin turbo and it was a great car, I do not have enough miles on my Z06 to tell yet, but the Z06 is a bad ass car. I had my convertible Vette out before I left for Indy, and I will say my Z06 handles better and is faster but not by as much as I thought, now my convertible does have a zillion things done to it. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go for it!!!!!!!!! My license plate reads " 911EATR" on my 02 Z06.

·
Registered
523 Posts
BK said:
Well, I am coming closer to making my decision on picking up a 02 Z06. I didn't test drive one today, but I did sit in and start one up for a few revs. I have to say I was very impressed, even just sitting ther in idle. There is no substitute for a nice V8; certainly a big difference form my 996 coupe. Not that the Pcar exhaust note is bad, it just isn't BAD like the z06. I still can't quite drop out of my 996, but now that I have z06 on the brain, it is harder and harder to resist. AHHHHHHHH :-? :D :D Anybody here drop out of a 911 and into a z? If so impressions or regrets?

BK
I have a freind at work who loved his 996 dearly but succumed to the exhaust note of a '02 z06.Reading your note made me send a reply.The 996,he said,is a great car,but,it's not even close to the z06 and alot less.Let the 996 go and get one of these amazing machines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys...

As always, the members of the Z06vette.com forums are second to none when it comes to there love of the Z06. In fact, this forum beats the hell out of all of the other forums I frequent on the net, in terms of information and overall quality of membership and members. My hats off to you guys:cheers: . Now, back to the topic at hand. I know this is starting to get annoying to many who are already in the "know" with respect to Z06 v. whatever, but I want to express a few more of my concerns concerning a switch, so that I can get your opinions.

1st: Durability. I feel as though my 996 is bullet proof and I don't think I will ever have the car long enough to see a major problem. I am wondering about the durability of the Z.

2nd: Resale/trade-in value. Although the Z outperforms the 996 no problemo, it doesn't seem to hold its value as well. I am talking from the perspective of seeing the depreciation of the 01 z06 vs. the 01 996.

3rd: Next years changes? I know it is too soon to start thinking about next year, and there will always be more hp and torque "next year" but, when talking to the salesman, he mentioned a facelift for next year, and possible another increase in output.

Thats it guys (and gals). Those are the points that bother me with respect to trading in the pcar for a z06. I know the decision ultimately comes down to me, but I would like to hear some other opinions and perspectives. I take alot of stock in what most members on this forum think and know about the Z06; much more so than some of the foolish chatter on other Porsche and BMW formus. So let me have it, both good and bad points and critisisms! THANKS!!!:D

BK

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Buy the Z06, invest the savings over the Turbo in the depressed stock market, and have the best of both worlds. You'll drive around with a smile on your face as you watch your newly invested portfolio flourish in the (hopefully) not-to-distant future! :cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
BK, Porsche's resale value might a little better though I'm sure it strongly depends on the status of our economy. Not to mention that all cars depreciate a lot the first few years. The thing to remember is that the Z06 is a lot cheaper than the 911 so while it may have a slightly worse resale you're certainly spending less.

About durability, I'd say you can't really judge until you've owned the car for at least 5 years. Since you have a 996 it can't be older than that and your feeling of bulletproof reliability can't really be justified. There were occasional oil burners among the 2001 Z06's but that has been fixed for the 2002 model year. I say make the switch!! :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Those are concerns that plaque virtually everyone who is faced with the decision to buy a "new" car. Frankly 99.99999% of all those other cars are dull, ordinary vehicles for the masses. The Z06 is something very special, one helleva lot of B4B and truly something to be passionate about driving.

As others have expressed, the savings on a Z06 will more than offset the depreciation issue. And with the money saved put some of it into a long term warranty to address any durability concerns. As for future model changes . . . they will always be there to tempt you to wait, so there is no way to win that debate. In lieu of recent events, life's too short to think in terms of "always put of till tomorrow what you can DO today".

Your Porsche 911 is also a great car, so whether you go for a Z06 or not, you should still consider yourself greatly blessed. Plus you
you have a backseat as it stands now. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the Input!

I would like to say thanks for all of the input. I am still weighing the decsion, but whatever the outcome, I will still come out fine. I love the 996, and I am sure I will love the Z06. Thanks for your help!
BK:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts