Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished installing my new system and it sounds 10X's better than the factory Bose system.
Click Pics
My system:
Alpine CDA-9827 MP3, CD, XM ready.
Alpine SPR-17LS 6.5" component speakers for thr doors.
Alpine SPR-134A 5.25 coaxl speakers for the rears.
Alpine MRP-350 Mono Amp 700W max for the sub.
Alpine MRP-F240 4ch Amp 360w X 2 max for the doors.
Alpine SWE-1241 12" Subwoofer.

Door panels:
1) Removed the access plug behind the door pull w/a small flathead screwdriver.
2) Removed 2 T30 torx bit screws.
3) Removed the door handle cover by inserting a medium flathead screwdriver at about a 45* angle, DO NOT pry w/the screwdriver. Instead gently pull on the cover while pushing the screwdriver in.
4) Removed the reflector by using a small screwdriver in the middle of the lower part of the reflector. Pull or pry toward you. Be sure to do the bottom and not the top as there are 2 tabs that can be broke off.
After steps 1, 3, & 4 are done pull on the lower part of the door until all pins are out & lift upwards to get the lip of the door panel out of the track. Next disconnect the window/lock connector and the panel should be free.

Factory speaker mount:
1) Disconnect the main wire harness from the housing.
2) Remove the 6 screws (7mm) along the outside edge and pull off.

Seats:
1) Removed the front bolt covers. You need to slide them forward towards the front of the car or they can be damaged.
2) Removed 4 bolts (15mm) from each seat.
3) Disconnected power seat connector.
4) pulled seat(s) out.
(sorry no pics)

Plastic:
1) Removed 2 push plugs and pulled the plastic toward the front of the car, all the plastic has push-in style clips so they just pop out with enough force. Being carful not to distort the plastic. 3 clips
2) Removed the small rear support cover. 2 clips
3) Removed seat belt bolt.
4) Removed the rear speaker panel. At the bottom of the window there is 1 push plug and another 1 at the base of the weather stripping. I started at the top and worked down. 4 clips
5) Removed the seatbelt cover. 2 clips
6) Removed the sill cover. 4 clips
(sorry no pics)

Factory rear speakers:
1) Removed 4 screws (7mm).
2) Disconnected wire harness.
(sorry no pics)

Console:
1) Opened the lid on the console, gently pried up on the TC piece until off, and disconnected the TC, airbag light, ACC power, and 2 nuts (10mm).
2) Removed the 2 plastic covers and 2 nuts (10mm) at the rear of the console.
3) Lifted up and back to remove, then disconnected the gas lid connector.
4) Removed 3 torx screws (T6) located behind the ashtray, elft side of cigarette lighter and behind the sensor cover (left of IGN).
5) Lifted up the shift boot and removed the stereo/AC panel.

Factory stereo:
1) Removed 2 screws (7mm) and pulled out.
2) Disconnected wiring harness (3) and antenna.
(sorry no pics)

I made new front speaker mounting plates out of .25" plexiglass. I cut out the approximate size, laid it over the speaker location, and traced the correct shape w/a sharpie. Then mounted the speakers and istalled them on the doors.
I ran all my speaker wires and RCA cables down the tunnel, along the ridge behind the pass seat, along the rear wheel well, and into the back half of the trunk around the trunk support. I ran the power wires for the amps along the door sill. I found a rubber grommet in the fire wall, behind the battery. I grond my amps on the driverside behind the plastic seatbelt cover.

Finally I had to make a new stereo mount. I measured the factory stereo and made a template, Cut it out,
and used black vinyl to cover it.

After all is said and done, I think it turned out nice and clean looking.

And for my own personal little touch....

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
That looks really good. Are you planning to build a cover to make it look like you flush mounted the amps? :coo:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
case2307 said:
That looks really good. Are you planning to build a cover to make it look like you flush mounted the amps? :coo:
HMMM.....never thought of that. What a great idea! Do you think the amps would get enough air?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they would stay fairly cool as long as the cooling fins weren't obstructed. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Very nice job (great write-up too). If you cover the amps make sure they have plenty of air space around them. If you listen to it LOUD those babies will be cranking out some serious heat. I did an install on a car I had years ago and spliced a vent into the AC system to blow on the amp. I never experienced a thermal shut down and I CRANKED it up all the time.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Looks Great and I bet it even sounds better, Thanks for the Great write-up :ity: :cheers:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, I may kick the idea around for a few days and see what I can come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts