Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to need to (for one particular event) mount a fire extinguisher in the Z. I heard that mounting just in front of the passenger or driver's seat was a reasonable place, but wanted input from the forums. Also, can anyone recommend a decent mount and brand of fire extinguisher? Thanks.

--Yak

·
Registered
271 Posts
I mounted a 2.5 pound Amerex sodium bicarbonate extinguisher to a Brey-Krause C5 mount with a double strap extinguisher holder. It is a clean and simple installation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
DavePro said:
I mounted a 2.5 pound Amerex sodium bicarbonate extinguisher to a Brey-Krause C5 mount with a double strap extinguisher holder. It is a clean and simple installation.
ditto for me too! :jammin: after i saw the video of the my z06 at the track! :eek:

·
Registered
307 Posts
DavePro said:
^ That is a great way to go, if you want to spend a hundred plus. If you want a cheaper and more temporary route, buy an extinguisher from an auto parts store, and zip tie the mount that comes with it to the seat slider bar on the passenger seat. I mounted mine to my Sparco seat base that way.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Like this? ;)

PM for vendor info.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The reproman has a real nice setup. What ever you do mount it securely in the event you impact and need the unit it will still be where you put it.

Tony #54

·
Registered
151 Posts
wheelman said:
...If you want a cheaper and more temporary route, buy an extinguisher from an auto parts store, and zip tie the mount that comes with it to the seat slider bar on the passenger seat...
Our local track is very specific about extinguiser mounting.
"...must be securely mounted using METAL brackets" most of the local shop inexpensive ext has only plastic brackets.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Install the extinguisher in front of the drivers seat. That way you can get to it when you need it. Unless you are driving with a passenger, in front of the passenger's seat is not much help when you are strapped in and really need to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

Just my thoughts, but a car fire will ruin your day.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The mounting must be metal to metal. ie preferably a double strap mount bolted to the seat rails.

Tie Wraps are not acceptable and may be dangerous in a crash.

IO Port Racing has the double strap Amerex mount as does Safecraft.
Brey Krause has the seat rail mount. You need both.

The BK seat rail mounts limit forward movement of the seat. Therefore if you are short the FE needs to mount on the Passenger side. If Your tall and do not require a forward seat then you can mount it under the drivers seat.

Safecraft also has a mount for under a racing seat.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Passengers don't need to move the seat forward. In fact they are safer with the seat all the way back.

The BK mount allows the seat to move forward, but only 2/3 - 1/2 normal....so for short drivers say, under 5'10", the FE needs to be mounted on the passenger side. For taller drivers, driver side mounting is perferable.

NOTE: Most drivers prefer a more forward position when tracking the car than on the street with a more upright position. This allows better line of sight and provides quicker steering response and better arm leverage. In addition, the steering wheel is usually tilted forward more to allow the hands and wrists to pass under the steering wheel and between the steering wheel and thighs as the Z06 does not have full <180 degree lock to lock steering.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Resist said:
After looking at the site, if you mount it on the pass side then they can't move the seat forward.
I don't let the passenger adjust anything! :eek:

Just want them to shut up and hang on. :rofl:

Plus if the seat is back, they are not scratching the door panels getting out! :mah:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts