Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for one. I think i'll go with a bracket / extinguisher not a system.

Which one is easy to get to and priced fairly?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I prefer a Halon one. If you are not putting in a bottle or system then I would use a small hand held for versitility.

You can get the seat Bracket from Brey Krause
Part # R-2115

IO Port has the:
# F02 Amerex 2 1/2# Halon 1211
# F05 Amerex Double Strap Quick Release

If you are tall, above 6', you can mount it on the driver's side seat rails as it restricts the forward movement. Otherwise mount it on the passenger side for shorter than 6' drivers. It will be hard to reach while you are straped in on the passenger side though.

I personally use both. I have a 2 1/2# halon 1211 hand held mounted on my driver's seat rails and a 30# Halon 1301 Safecraft 3 head system on my harness bar. The 3 heads cover the engine bay, tranny/diff/gas tank area and the cockpit.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have the Brey Krause mount in front of my passenger seat and I can reach it if I unbuckle my shoulder straps. As DJ says, this mount does limit forward seat travel, and as a note, this makes this mount not compatable with the hardbar lap belt mounts which attach to the two rear seat posts (at least on my car I can't get both to fit).

As a lower cost alternative to the Halon 1211 or 1301, I use a 2 1/2 lb Amerex siliconized Sodium Bicarbonate extinguisher which IO Port also sells.

I actually had the opportunity to use this on an engine oil fire in late 02 as I was moving from Seattle to Memphis. Driving down the freeway I drove past a stopped economy car with a well developed fire in the engine comparment. Hood was open and 1-2 ft flames visible. I was in the Z06 and did a 60-0 braking exercise, which freaked out my wife who was dozing. She was even more disturbed when I grabbed the extinguisher and jumped out. :eek2:
Couple bursts on his engine and the fire was out. I shot a couple more bursts to cool it down, then waited with him for the fire department to show up.

Turns out he was driving with a known oil leak onto his exhaust manifold. Bad plan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've put out a few fuel fires with dry chem as Subdriver describes, very effective material.

But try inhaling some of it, I have gotten a lungfull and will never forget it.

For use inside an occupied vehicle I'd reccomend Halon.

I've also read that in Europe where Halon is banned, the water based foam systems have been performing below drivers expectations.

DJWorm, It's nice to see someone who runs a bigger tank than my 20#. I thought mine was excessive.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If the need ever arises to USE a Fire Extinguisher or Fire Supression System NOTHING is excessive and EVERYTHING seems inadequate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Subdriver said:
Driving down the freeway I drove past a stopped economy car with a well developed fire in the engine comparment. Hood was open and 1-2 ft flames visible. I was in the Z06 and did a 60-0 braking exercise, which freaked out my wife who was dozing. She was even more disturbed when I grabbed the extinguisher and jumped out. :eek2:
Couple bursts on his engine and the fire was out. I shot a couple more bursts to cool it down, then waited with him for the fire department to show up.
Way cool, Subdriver.

:thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The BK mount uses the stock front seat mounting studs, and goes straight across between them. The flange for the extinguisher then protrudes forward of the crossbar.

So You'd need the stock studs and about 1" to the rear of the studs for clearance.

Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts