Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a halon 2.5lb extinguisgher. The gauge shows that it is slightly discharged. Wasn't halon taken off the market a while back? If not are they still available...any vendors known to sell them? Since I have one that needs recharging, can that be done?

Help always welcome.

Thanks.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Charlie:

Halon isn't used anymore to knowledge. I stand to be corrected, but I know we were inspected every year for halon equipment or extinguishing systems. We only used it around multi-breaker boards (200-600 amp) and the system was installed back in the
early 70's.

I'd upgrade to a universal dry chemical 2.5# A-B-C type extinguisher. UL (underwriters lab) approved.
Get from Home depot.

:guiness:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You should be able....

...to get the Halon refilled locally. You may have to shop around but you should be able to find a local supplier.

I recently bought a 2.5# hand held and a 20# fire suppression system. I have the Halon 1301 systems.

SafeCraft/Racesafe, and Phoenix sell them for racing.

If all else fails locally, call IO Port Racing
www.ioportracing.com

They have nice product listings and an informative FAQ at the bottom of the Products page.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help

George...The main reason I, and I mean me, personally, carried a halon was for the fact that if a fire ever happened, there is no clean-up with halon. I always rolled my eyes at the thought of cleaning up after using a dry chemical extinguisher. To my knowledge, halon was a good multi-purpose extinguisher, but I guess the environmental wackos got the best of us again and had it banned. If no other alternative, dry chemical will have to be it.

DJWorm...thanks for your reply. I'll try locally for the refill. If that fails I'll look at those suppliers that you suggested. Thanks again.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Charlie:

I thought it was connected to the tree huggers somehow because the Federal government made such an issue out of it at each inspection.

I agree about the mess the baking soda makes but it's better then nothing and works.

Good luck.:guiness:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts