Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with these tires?
I need some new skins and these are really cheap!!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
It depends how you drive and what tire performance you need. The Firestone Firehawk is only "W" rated up to 168 mph, where as the F1 and comparable tires are either "Z" or at least "Y" rated to 186 mph plus. I have the Firehawk's on my daily driver and they are a great tire for the street and especially in the rain; the tread design is similar to the Firehawk's used on the open wheel race cars in IRL and CART for racing in wet conditions. If you track your car, I wouldn't recommend the Firehawk's......only for the street and as a daily driver. The sidewalls aren't as strong/stiff and they won't handle as well as F1's in the turns. Hope this helps. ;)

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Bob I definatly don't want anything that doesn't handle as well as th F1s.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Firestone Wide Ovals.............ahhhhhhhh, flashbacks to my teenaged muscle car days. Wide Oval 70's and 60's. I bet more than a few guys here remember those tires. I wouldn't put those bias tires on any of my cars today, but back then, they were the hot set up. :eek:o:

·
Registered
844 Posts
TIMELY POST. Just returned from the Firestone Dealer and was going to get the Toyo T-1's. Firestone has this new Firehawk Wide Oval (Blast from the past is right on). Similar tread pattern to T-1's, 320, AA, A rating and 10/32 tread depth (Yes. I personally measured) Also rim protectors (Too late for me already). This dealer has treated me an the beast very well with flat repair in the past. He came in slightly cheaper than one of the online guys for the Toyo's and these are a few buck cheaper. Suppose to be a great wet tire which I really need here in S. Florida and since the beast is also my daily driver. He's asking $158 per tire for the fronts +++. They also make this tire in our rear size-$208. Looks like a win-win for a driver like myself. Thoughts please.
NOW FOR THE QUESTION: I have 24K miles and the tires are great except that the inside of the fronts are worn smooth--alignment?? I just wanted to remount the tires reversed but he won't do it for MANY reasons. More thoughts please. Excuse the long post but just wanted to bring everyone up to date on a new tire alternative and get some ideas. Looking forward to your replies and excuse some of my shouting. :zboobie:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Usually the wearing of the inside of the tire is caused by the alignment...

Gives better handling but wears the inside of the tires a bit unusally..

If you got 24K miles on the set and are satisfied with the handling? Well I'd say when you get new tires....just have them check the alignment with what GM calls for the C5 Z06...

I like the firestones wide ovals...and the 168mph speed rating doesn't bother me....

I do believe the sponsor tire rack to the left has a better price than your local guy by a few dollars....

I'm on my second set of Goodyear F1 's and I might go for the firestones for the third set ..(probably 10K more miles.)

·
Banned
809 Posts
70boss302 said:
Firestone Wide Ovals.............ahhhhhhhh, flashbacks to my teenaged muscle car days. Wide Oval 70's and 60's. I bet more than a few guys here remember those tires. I wouldn't put those bias tires on any of my cars today, but back then, they were the hot set up. :eek:o:
These aren't the same as the originals. They're radials and not bias-ply.

The marketing of this tire has me a little puzzled. It's not as high performance as the F1 or some of the other tires out there available for the Z06. I don't think that I'd go with a tire like this for that reason. It is of my opinion that these tires would be better suited for a newer muscle car like the Mustang, Fbody, GTO or a resto-rod with upgraded wheels instead of the Z06 or even the Corvette.

Sal

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I found this review of an owner who has the firestones on his car...

Its his opinion as an owner of these tires ..Not mine>...

These tires seem to be made for a Z06 for both track and road. This gentlemen autocrossed these tires last year and had plenty of highway miles on them on his 02 Z06. He did two high speed events, one at Roebling Rd and one at Nashville Superspeedway. They held both asphalt and concrete tracks like glue. On low speed autocrosses, they were stable in tight turns and gave no feeling of rolling over on the sidewall even on pivot cones. They are very quiet on the highway at speed and give a comfortable ride. When they do break traction, they do so gradually and predictably,

Unlike the supercar tires they are excellent in the wet conditions on both the highwya and the track. Here's his suggestion: Give these tires a close look. They are excellent tires and definately perform better than the Goodyears did

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Performance Category:
Ultra High Performance Summer

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval
205/50WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 87W Price Each: $92
Estimated Availability: 02/18/05

Qty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Road Hazard Program: $44.16 total with four tire purchase
205/55WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 89W Price Each: $97
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Road Hazard Program: $46.56 total with four tire purchase
225/50WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 91W Price Each: $102

Road Hazard Program: $48.96 total with four tire purchase
225/55WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 94W Price Each: $104

Road Hazard Program: $49.92 total with four tire purchase
225/60WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 97W Price Each: $88
Estimated Availability: 02/18/05

Road Hazard Program: $42.24 total with four tire purchase
245/50WR16
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 96W Price Each: $110

Road Hazard Program: $52.80 total with four tire purchase
205/40WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 80W Price Each: $120
Estimated Availability: Low Stock

Road Hazard Program: $57.60 total with four tire purchase
235/50WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 96W Price Each: $123

Road Hazard Program: $59.04 total with four tire purchase
245/45WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 95W Price Each: $132

Road Hazard Program: $63.36 total with four tire purchase
255/45WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 92W Price Each: $134

Road Hazard Program: $64.32 total with four tire purchase
265/40WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 96W Price Each: $140

Road Hazard Program: $67.20 total with four tire purchase
275/40WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 98W Price Each: $144

Road Hazard Program: $69.12 total with four tire purchase
285/40WR17
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 100W Price Each: $153

Road Hazard Program: $73.44 total with four tire purchase
225/40WR18
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 88W Price Each: $125

Road Hazard Program: $60.00 total with four tire purchase
295/35WR18
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 99W Price Each: $185

Road Hazard Program: $88.80 total with four tire purchase
245/40WR20
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 95W Price Each: $182
Estimated Availability: Low Stock

Road Hazard Program: $87.36 total with four tire purchase
275/35WR20
Blackwall Serv. Desc: 98W Price Each: $199

Road Hazard Program: $95.52 total with four tire purchase

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I need tires real Bad and with Spring around the corner I am confused as to what to buy. Should I buy these and stay with the stock sizes? What...........HELP???
Tire mileage is more important than performance to me since I don't race the car or drive it that hard, the car is a beter driver than I am! :eek2:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Bill,

I believe these new Firestones to be a major attempt by Bridgestone/firestone to bring Sports Car Enthusiasts back to the entire Firestone brand...and they really are a copy of the excellent Bridgestones at a price you can't beat with a stick.

If anyone who is not planning on driving beyond 168mph top speed that these Firestones are an excellent option for excellent performance/wear and of course pricing...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great input. 168 MPH is good for me since the Beasts' supposedly top out (stock) at about 174. As for prices, remember that you have to add shipping, so I think my prices are pretty good. The dealer "asked" me if I minded he make $20 a tire. I said thank you. I'll let you know when I get them, although I'll just be doing the fronts. My rear tires are in great shape at 24K--although one has 21K miles. FYI, I religiously keep the pressure between 31-33psi. I like a firm controlled ride.:z:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I just bought a set of these tires at the local Firestone store. They ordered them in and said they should be in by Wednesday. Hope to have them on by this weekend. I have a second set of wheels so I'll probably use these for street tires and get some track tires for special events.(555r2).16,000 on oem tires, down to the wear bars in back and front inside worn slap out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hugoagogo said:
I just bought a set of these tires at the local Firestone store. They ordered them in and said they should be in by Wednesday. Hope to have them on by this weekend. I have a second set of wheels so I'll probably use these for street tires and get some track tires for special events.(555r2).16,000 on oem tires, down to the wear bars in back and front inside worn slap out.
Give us some feedback when you get them on hugoagogo!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Those tires are really interesting. I ran the firehawk's on my 02 TA and they were fantastic. Especially in the rain compared to other tires.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I am by no means an expert on any thing automotive,but my first impressions after having these tires on the first few days are the car just does not fell the same as it did the first 16,000 miles with the F1's. Take off from red light stops do not feel as responsive as before and the wiggle from swerving gently back and forth in my lane does not feel as crisp and sharp either. Their mine and I'll keep them but plan to buy some Nitto 555R2 for a second set of wheels and use those for NASA hpde at Road Atlanta and any auto-x or dragracing events. Hopefully these Firestones will serve a long (320 treadwear rating) and usefull life as daily driver street tires but I won't try to push the car to its limits with them on there.(W speed rated) Maybe they just need a little more time to get used to. More feedback after a couple of weeks use. In the mean time I need to find some Nitto's for Mar 19/20 hpde at R.A.. Anyone know where to find these on the net or locally in Atlanta?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
hugoagogo said:
I am by no means an expert on any thing automotive,but my first impressions after having these tires on the first few days are the car just does not fell the same as it did the first 16,000 miles with the F1's. Take off from red light stops do not feel as responsive as before and the wiggle from swerving gently back and forth in my lane does not feel as crisp and sharp either. Their mine and I'll keep them but plan to buy some Nitto 555R2 for a second set of wheels and use those for NASA hpde at Road Atlanta and any auto-x or dragracing events. Hopefully these Firestones will serve a long (320 treadwear rating) and usefull life as daily driver street tires but I won't try to push the car to its limits with them on there.(W speed rated) Maybe they just need a little more time to get used to. More feedback after a couple of weeks use. In the mean time I need to find some Nitto's for Mar 19/20 hpde at R.A.. Anyone know where to find these on the net or locally in Atlanta?
I had hoped that they would perform better than that. I guess you get what you pay for. :ity:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I'm not a big firestone fan yet I would suggest new tires need a bit of a break in to really get a good feeling of them...

If I remember correctly many owners break in their new cars with about 500 miles of relatively easy driving...

I'm just asking but couldn't that also be said of new tires?

Just a thought before every writes these new firestones off...

I'll probably when the time comes go with Goodyear F1 as its a safe bet for strong dry handling performance but who knows....

Maybe with a thousand miles...the firestones will impress the hell out of you..

Let us know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds very similar to my experience with the Kumho MX tires. You get what you pay for. Sloppy response when changing lanes, and just unsettling handling feel. There's a reason the F1s and PS2 are expensive, they're better! :yeadog:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts