Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody want the Firestone Wide ovals with about 1,000 miles on it from a local Z06 owner who traded in his car this week for a Chevy truck.

he took the firestone wide ovals off with a thousand miles...and put back the Goodyear F1's for the lease end.

He wants $500 plus shipping....

Let me know....

If you want to pick them up....

He can mount and balance on your rims if want to pick them up. (he has a special machine for runflats and will be good to your rims...Its a very expensive machine and as a favor to me...He said he would mount them on your rims for you if you want. Not a bad deal for 500.

Anyways...if I didn't just buy a wheel and tire package I would buy these myself. Its a square deal for some nearly new tires...(1 K miles)

20 minutes north of George Washington Bridge...in Bergen county NJ. Minutes off many highways....287/Palasades parkway or even Garden State Parkway...Especially Good for tristate Z06 owners.. Conn. NY or NJ

If you come and buy these we can throw down a few brews to boot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sorry JB.. i'm gonna pass for a wheel/combo. back up for sale, TTT for you. :cheers: pm sent too.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a problem whatso ever..Thanks for letting me know before I headed out to set this up...Congratulations on a wheel tire package. Thats always a great way to go. The fact that I picked up Barons wheel and tire package a month ago is the only reason I don't buy these firestone tires. for $500 ...

If he doesn't sell them by the time I need new tires then I'll take them! :lol: All kidding aside if anyone is looking for tires (especially in the NY metro area) this is a great deal. So...if

Anybody else wants these 1000 mile Firestone Wide oval tires for 500 dollars....

Come and get them. You can't go wrong with this deal as far as I can tell.

Shoot me an email. I'll hook you up.

JB

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I stopped over this morning and took a photo for you guys. They look great. The tread depth is 10/32nds. The photos from a V710 camera phone so bear with me. :lol:

I would suggest buying with confidence. 500 firm + shipping. (about a hundred) He owns the station where they do my oil changes.

Email me and post here if you want them.

I'll hook you up with what I believe to be a very good deal.

Hell if I didn't just buy tires myself I'd be buying them. No room at my home for an extra set of tires...(the wifey would kill me)

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1,000 miles on Firestone Wide ovals for 500 dollars 10/32nd tread for sale.

The tread depth is 10/32nds. The photos from a V710 camera phone so bear with me. :lol:

Z06 sizes...

I would suggest buying with confidence. 500 firm + shipping. (about a hundred) He owns the station where they do my oil changes.

If your in the Tri state NY/NJ/Ct metro area...we're about 20 minutes north of the George Washington Bridge off 287 or Palasades Parkway in Bergen County.

Email me and post here if you want them.

I'd buy them myself but I just bought new wheels and tires a few months ago...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
4 tires...stock Z06 sizing. Its a good deal. He bought the tires...then decided to turn in his lease early for a truck..(ugh!) and he put his Goodyears back on for the turn in of lease.

Tires are available. Its a good deal.

I get my oil changes at this place so I know the guy for quite some time. Nice guy. Thats why I'm posting this up. He's not on the net.

A few independant reviews of these tires............

TAC
CF Senior Member

Bothell
Wa Review of Firestone Wide Ovals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put these tires on my '03 Z06 last week and thought you might want a review of them. Right off the bat the tires are smaller than OEM SCs--they are 3/4" narrower. I measured both tires myself to make sure. The tread is 10/32" deep and I believe the tire is essentially a rebrand of the Bridgestone 750 tire. The tire is quieter, that's for sure. I'm sure they'll handle better in the rain but haven't experienced any yet.

I have now been to 2 autocross events and a track day at Portland International Raceway and have a good feeling for the tire and its limitations. The tires are definitely not as sticky as SC tires. I spun off the line of my 1st autocross where I don't think I normally did with the SCs. The tires turn in and brake as well as the SCs but they do not hold the corners as well. They slip just enough to let you know they're there but I never once lost control at any event in any situation. The tires definitely make you pay more attention and use a little more steering input to keep the car going straight. I wouldn't say it's like riding on roller skates but it is really easy to push the rear end around. I got into understeer only 1 time and that was coming out of the 1st straightaway at PIR and it was my fault. I didn't brake enough for the turn.

Around PIR I didn't really start to feel at ease until the 2nd session. At that point I felt I could really handle the car with the tires. I slid around curves a little bit but it was controllable. I didn't get the feeling that I was out of control--just a little too fast to take the corners perfectly on the edge. I am as certain as I can be that the tires aren't as sticky. My absolute best time on the autocross was 80.07s (early in the morning) and later in the day my time was 82.4s and I let it all out. I couldn't drive the car any better. I then turned around and drove a friend's '03 Z06 with relatively new SC tires and turned a 78.5s time. I shaved nearly 4 seconds off the same time of day run and 1 1/2 seconds off my best run. I could really feel that the SC tires held the track better and the time reflected that. I will say that my Z is setup with -1.2 camber all the way around and I believe my friend's Z is set closer to -2 but I don't think that made much difference.

Do I like the Wide Ovals? Yes. Would I buy them again? Yes--assuming I want them for road trips which is what I bought them for. I'm tired of running into heavy rain on the highways and feeling like I'm driving on ball bearings with the SCs. Would I buy these tires if I were serious about autocrossing on street tires or running the track a lot? No. I'm going to buy another set of wheels and put SC tires on them for the local track events. Otherwise I'll keep the Wide Ovals on. FYI.

TAC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TAC
Send email to TAC
Visit TAC's homepage!
Find More Posts by TAC
Add TAC to Your Buddy List
08-17-2005, 01:15 AM #2
CAPTKEN28
CF Senior Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had the Wide-Ovals for just over 3 months and 5k miles...I Love them!.....They are quiet....Fantastic in the rain....and to be honest i think they grip the road better (str8 line) than the SC.....and the for the price...their VALUE is FANTASTIC!

CAPTKEN28
View Public Profile
Send a private message to CAPTKEN28
Send email to CAPTKEN28
Find More Posts by CAPTKEN28
Add CAPTKEN28 to Your Buddy List
08-17-2005, 04:32 AM #3
AFVETTE
CF Senior Member

Shiloh
IL

TAC how did you measure the actual width or contact area? I ask because folks were saying the same thing about the Michelin Pilot Sports. So to get an actual tread width contact area I rolled my car onto 4 sheets of white printer paper, I let the car sit for about 30 minutes and when I rolled it off I had 4 tire foot prints. After installing the Michelins I did the same and then used a ruler to carefully measure the "actual" contact area each tire produced as loaded on the car. Guess what, the Michelins were identical to the GY's yet for some reason the GY's looked wider causing folks to make unfounded claims against the Michelin's..

Tom

AFVETTE
View Public Profile
Send a private message to AFVETTE
Send email to AFVETTE
Find More Posts by AFVETTE
Add AFVETTE to Your Buddy List
08-17-2005, 07:49 AM #4
TAC
CF Senior Member

Bothell
Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFVETTE
TAC how did you measure the actual width or contact area? I ask because folks were saying the same thing about the Michelin Pilot Sports. So to get an actual tread width contact area I rolled my car onto 4 sheets of white printer paper, I let the car sit for about 30 minutes and when I rolled it off I had 4 tire foot prints. After installing the Michelins I did the same and then used a ruler to carefully measure the "actual" contact area each tire produced as loaded on the car. Guess what, the Michelins were identical to the GY's yet for some reason the GY's looked wider causing folks to make unfounded claims against the Michelin's..

Tom

I didn't have the opportunity to do what you did. I was a little less precise by just using a tape measure to measure the contact patch. I went to the edge before the tire starts curving away. You can also tell they're narrower when visually compared to a set of SCs side by side. The tire itself does not fill out the wheel as much. I've been told the tire size is determined at its widest point, not the contact patch. The WO has a curb "bumper" which is the widest point but barely juts out from the wheel. The sidewall of the SC tire appears to have a squarer shoulder where the WO looks more rounded. I suppose it's possible the WO spreads out when it has a load on it, thus giving a little more contact patch but it sure doesn't look like it. The bottom line to me was how it handled, which is why I wasn't too worried about the apparent difference in size.

TAC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TAC
Send email to TAC
Visit TAC's homepage!
Find More Posts by TAC
Add TAC to Your Buddy List
08-17-2005, 02:16 PM #5
rpuerzer
CF Senior Member

Harrisburg
PA Firestone Wide Ovals

I have had wide ovals on the Z06 since april, 2005. During that time I did track events at Pocono and Solo 2. I really like the tire. Drove in the rain, sleet, and snow at Pocono and had no unexpected traction problems.

I would definately buy them again.

rpuerzer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to rpuerzer
Send email to rpuerzer
Find More Posts by rpuerzer
Add rpuerzer to Your Buddy List
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM #6
AOC
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Contributor '04

Near St. Louis
MO

I just put Wide Ovals on last month, these tires are bit quieter than the SC tires, performance wise, I can't say since I haven't been to any type of track with them. Price wise, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anybody want these tires? Z06 sized and barely used.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI Ron,

I think they are a great buy. Shoot me a PM with your phone number and we can work out the details.

JB

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
JB,
If the deal falls through with Ron, let me know, I'll take them off your hands.

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
PM sent!

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ron! It was great speaking with you. You truly are a gentlemen and its great to have Corvette owners like you in this community.

Mike, aka FAce...the tires are yours mounted and balanced for the 500.

Give me a call with the number I sent in my pm or email me your phone number and we can work out the details of when to have the work done.

·
Registered
609 Posts
JBs

Thank You But you are the one with Grate Compssion for Your fallow Man . Ech man has his Cross to bear , This is are test > But Your Cross is Big . But your heart is Gold . :) Give Your Boy a huge for me .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picking them up tomorrow, thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts