Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Picking out an upgraded clutch for our cars is a pretty tricky pain the ass. Lots of choices (most are very pricey) and you'll hear both good and bad reviews on almost all of them. Do a search on Textraila -- the aussie clutch. Right now this seems like a good choice. They are not a supporting vendor, but they should be...

·
21,355 Posts
Now what said:
Picking out an upgraded clutch for our cars is a pretty tricky pain the ass. Lots of choices (most are very pricey) and you'll hear both good and bad reviews on almost all of them. Do a search on Textraila -- the aussie clutch. Right now this seems like a good choice. They are not a supporting vendor, but they should be...
Scuttlebutt has it the Aussie clutch is very good! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've been hearing the same thing about the Textralia, but I'm not sold yet. Maybe after I hear about 10 or 15 thousand trouble free miles. Currently my pick is the Spec 2/3 hybrid setup. Some of the fellas here that are more experienced gearheads than myself have said good things about this clutch.

Zrod

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I considered the Aussie, but Andy said it'd still be a bit rough for a daily driven car. I have a LUK stage II and it's a great choice. The Fidanza aluminum flywheel makes for a real kick in the pants.

make sure! that you match balance the new assembly (flywheel/pressure plate) to the old one so your motor stays in balance. GM motors aren't always zero blanced and if they aren't they put balance weights into the flywheel to make it perfect. Thus, if you put a new zero balanced clutch on a unbalanced motor you'll induce a vibe, don't aske me how I know... lets just say my stock clutch ended up being over 8 grams out and one clutch later all is now well.

Also, if you're getting a LUK make sure the pressure plate is properly adjusted to provide full clamp load or it'll slip.

Cya,
Brian

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Zrod said:
I've been hearing the same thing about the Textralia, but I'm not sold yet. Maybe after I hear about 10 or 15 thousand trouble free miles. Currently my pick is the Spec 2/3 hybrid setup. Some of the fellas here that are more experienced gearheads than myself have said good things about this clutch.

Zrod
I hear ya. Maybe it's a bit early to tell on the Aussie, but it sure seems to have all the right stuff. I was very close to installing a Spec 3 in my car but there is quite a bit of bad press on the Spec. I've heard as high as 50% of them are bad. The ones that are not bad seem fine, but I don't feel confident putting a spec in my car having been forwarned by so many people. I just don't feel like chancing it.

Andy (A&A) is a very well respected tuner, and he has approved the Aussie unit, that carries some weight with me. I wouldn't mind a real racey clutch in my car, as long as it grabs nicely and doesn't break or slip with my Mag setup/I]. My stock clutch quickly gave up the ghost after I got the Mag. If it's rough in traffic, well, I hate sitting in traffic in my Z anyway. That's why I run a work car for commuting.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Now What,

The pedal feel besides grabbing power is a big issue for me. For myself, a heavy pedal or very short engaugement throw won't cut it. For the most part driving in LA traffic is a PITA, coupled with a tough clutch makes for a grumpy Zrod. Thanks for the heads up on Spec. I wasn't aware that so many of them were bad.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
ZRod --

Textralia says the clutch has a stock feel, in fact that's how they are marketing it - a race worthy clutch with a stock feel and real strong quality. But who knows. Vette Docs is currently installing the clutch on some customers cars and the Vette Docs are painfully honest when it comes to what they think about aftermarket performance parts, so I'll give them a call and see what they have to say on the feel of the Aussie and how the installs worked out. Based on what I know so far, I want one.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Now What,

When you find what they say about the Aussie, please post here.

Thank you,

Zrod

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Zrod - I talked to Vette Doctors today. Turns out they didnt like the clutch. They said they think the Aussie is "too heavy !" They said they felt like it weighed more than the stock unit, and that actually gives you less power (?) So they ended up using a single disc Exedy in that customer's car. I still wouldnt get an Exedy, but the weight issue of the aussie clutch was news to me.

I should've asked if this car was a street car or a street/strip car.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Now What,

Thanks for getting back. E-mailed Andi today to get into his work schedule and asked about the 2 clutches. Will let you know what he said.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i remember like all the z06vette trolls were trolling how Exedy clutch was the best and awesome and then few peeps had problems because of the over-abuse and the same trolls were yelling how shitty exedy is... i think the same is happening with the Aussie clutch...

I have exedy twin disk and it's a very good clutch! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Now What,

Andi is giving the thumbs up for the Textralia and mentioned a new one out called RPS that he says is smooth as stock and rated at 700rwhp. Hes tried it in his car and likes it as well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I haven't weighed the actual weight of the Aussie clutch/PP/etc.... compared to a stock Z06 clutch.

There are two weights here. There is the weight of the actual clutch assembly, and there is the pedal feel. Many folks have run McLeod Dual discs which are far heavier (weight wise) than a stock unit.

My guess would be the Aussie clutch would be close to a stock unit in terms of weight. The pedal feel is comparable to stock...

We had an Exedy Dual and killed it in 5 passes. So, I wouldn't use an Exedy in anything I planned on drag racing or putting any serious power too. It'd be fine for something like road racing though...

With all that said, I think the Aussie clutch would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You know it's strange ! I've got the dual exedy and have no problems with it ! The pedal pressure is pretty heavy to start with but after a couple thousand miles on it, it's getting easier ! But who knows for sure ?

Rob :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
hmm, surprising hearing the comments from the vette docs

my mcleod twin died during the dyno tune for my newly installed cnc heads. The shop was able to make a few pulls before it died...got around 446/397 SAE. They called me and asked me if I wanted to install a clutch, I said yes, put a textralia in there. Well, to make a long story short, after I broke it in for 500 miles, the car went back on the dyno and pulled 455/405 SAE (exact same dyno). So, I can't say I agree with the "actually gives you less power..." quote. That makes zero sense to me as an actual owner of the clutch. And as far as pedal feel....it's extremely light feeling as compared to the mcleod twin I was running.

good luck with your choices :cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Rob1Vet said:
You know it's strange ! I've got the dual exedy and have no problems with it ! The pedal pressure is pretty heavy to start with but after a couple thousand miles on it, it's getting easier ! But who knows for sure ?

Rob :D
Nope I agree with you that it starts out as a hard clutch. After that it softens up. Our problem is that it died after 5 passes ona 500RWHP car. I liked the way it drove, it just couldn't handle being slipped. Plus it hit too hard and broke parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts