Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 02 QS 4 months ago. I've been spending quite a lot of time on this forum and decided to join.
I just had a Vortex RAM cold air intake installed last Saturday by Synergy Motorsports in Fremont, CA. They also did a dyno tune up.
Results show 365rwhp and 360tq: I thought I could get a little more than that considering a bone stock 02 Z usually gets around 350rwhp.

Anyway, I got to drive it last night and pushed it quite a bit to see if I could feel a difference. I feel like it pulls a little stronger in 1st and 2d (tires break loose with just a blip of the throttle). In 3rd and 4th, I can't really tell the difference. Maybe there is one, but it is hard for me to tell (I dont race and I'm not a great driver ;-). But engine seems a little noisier...which I dont mind.
And, oh, it looks good under the hood!

Was wondering what kind of results you got after such a mod.
Can you feel a strong SOTP difference?

Thanks for ur feedbacks!
-Matt
:z:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What was your base line dyno before the mods? What was the dyno number for just the rammer without the tune? How much did you gain from just the tune? Did you use the same dyno for all of the numbers?

Dynos and tuners vary greatly. Dyno numbers can and do vary from type to type and operator to operator. Also some tuners, and I use that term loosely, are very good due to lack of experience / knowledge and equipment. I would certainly recommend some one who is very, very experienced with vettes and modifications. Just strapping a car on a dyno using LS-Edit does not make a tuner.

You won't gain as much from a tune when the only mod is a cold air box. Also, you will not gain as much from a cold air intake on an 02-04 versus an 01 since about 5 to 7 rwhp of the ~17 rwhp increase for those years was obtained from a larger hole in the air box.

I don't believe you will "feel" a big difference from the addition of the CAI and tune but you should notice that engine revs more freely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for ur reply: it's great to have knowledgeable people on this site who take the time to respond!

My car was only dynoed after installation of the CAI and tune up so I can't quantify the gain from a rwhp stand point.

The tuner is supposedly a good one who specializes in Z06.

What do u exactly mean by "should rev more freely".
I do feel a diffence but it's hard to describe and quantify it.

What do u recommend for the next "light" mod that would make a noticable difference?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
A baseline dyno is very important. I've seen Z's dyno at 360-370 stock - right down to the paper filter. You have no Before and After to really look at.

Alex

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'd agree that CAI would only give you a first and second gear feeling. Past that, you won't feel much from a 10rwhp gain, which is probably about what you got. Thats only a 3% horsepower gain. The good news is, that all the other mods you do will build on that one!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The dyno is not going to show you much of an improvement. Your power increase will be best seen (felt) at speeds where the air flow is higher - as is not the case on a stationary dyno.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

As you can see from your gains the factory tune and air box are pretty darn good. I see long tube Headers in your future if you can get around the California smog guys.

·
Registered
413 Posts
matthieuallie said:
What do u recommend for the next "light" mod that would make a noticable difference?
long tube headers and highflow cats are a popular mod...but since your in Calif. these mods will not allow you to pass "state inspection" .... blowers are popular in Calif. (although not a minor mod) they add huge HP gains without failing emission test...unfortunately HP cost big $$.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Ask and ye shall be swamped with information.
Thread searches work good too ...
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts