Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change last night without a hitch. Hardest part was jacking the car high enough to get underneath it. I built some custom ramps out of 2x12's to get the front up, then used a 1ft section of 2x6 to place between the jack pad and rear crossmember to lift the rear. Once airborne it was as easy as any other vehicle I've worked on. I went with Mobil 1 10w-30 since I have personally performed a long term test of this oil under the most extreme conditions with spectacular results. 7 qts brought it to the full mark, and an extra 1/3 qt for high G cornering (you can add an extra qt according to GM)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Vett,

Way to go lots of folks have ended up building their own 2x12 ramps. I myself went 10w-30 on mobil 1,

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMA Z06 said:
Vett,

Way to go lots of folks have ended up building their own 2x12 ramps.
Yea, I tried Rhino ramps but they were too tall and kept catching on the air dam. 2x12's were bolted 3-high and it was still a very tight squeeze getting under there. Will be adding a 4th board to the stack shortly.
Anyone out there know the torque for the drain plug....I went with 25 lb/ft as a temporary but would like the right one.....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
7 qts brought it to the full mark, and an extra 1/3 qt for high G cornering (you can add an extra qt according to GM)
Yup, and don't let some guys tell you its 6.5 qts no matter what the dipstick says :D.

To me, the dipstick is KING :) It comes from the factory with the oil on the "full" mark, so when the oil is changed it makes sense to put it back where it was. Some guys are adimit about just putting in 6.5 qts, but personnally I think they are wrong.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
7.0 qts for me!!! Not sure what the tq specs are. I finger tight mine then go a half-turn. seems to work fine for me!!:cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
Yea, I tried Rhino ramps but they were too tall and kept catching on the air dam. 2x12's were bolted 3-high and it was still a very tight squeeze getting under there. Will be adding a 4th board to the stack shortly.
Anyone out there know the torque for the drain plug....I went with 25 lb/ft as a temporary but would like the right one.....thanks in advance.
TIGHT:lol:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Be careful NOT to overfill your crankcase, my understanding is that 6.5qts is the limit. the proper fill level on a GM stick like these is half way up the grid. If you overfill it you will begin to stress your FR & RR main seals.:eek:

Cheers!:cheers:

·
Registered
764 Posts
VetteTheRipper,

The torque spec on the drain plug is 18lb-ft.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Z0000006 said:
Be careful NOT to overfill your crankcase, my understanding is that 6.5qts is the limit. the proper fill level on a GM stick like these is half way up the grid. If you overfill it you will begin to stress your FR & RR main seals.:eek:

Cheers!:cheers:
Actually, the z06 video from the General suggests adding a qt when racing for high g cornering, so I have to challenge this "limit".

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Z0000006 said:
Be careful NOT to overfill your crankcase, my understanding is that 6.5qts is the limit. the proper fill level on a GM stick like these is half way up the grid. If you overfill it you will begin to stress your FR & RR main seals.:eek: Cheers!:cheers:
The LS6 can be safely overserviced by 1 qt according to GM and is recommended if your going to race it. Also I believe one of the benefits of bay to bay breathing is the reduction of crankcase pressures making the LS6 less prone to seal failure due to overservicing.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fanatical1 said:
VetteTheRipper,

The torque spec on the drain plug is 18lb-ft.
Torque you...I mean thank you:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts