Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading other post's on claying the Z, I have decided to take the plunge and attempt it myself! This will be the first time for me and my Z and I am anxious to see the results. I just got back from Auto Zone with Mothers Clay Bar Kit, Meguires NXT Wax and spray detailer, microfiber towels and a K&N oil filter for that religious 3000k mile oil change! :thumb: I think I will start tomorrow morning and I am sure it will take me the better part of the day to completely wash,clay,wash,wax and polish so when I get done I will try to post some "before and after" pics for anyone on the fence. For those of you who are vetern clay users, any tips/tricks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :usa: :z:

·
Registered
3 Posts
KEEP IT WET I've only done mine once and found it to be verry important, If it gets dry the clay will stick, then you have to do thet spot again. So lots of lube. Good luck

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Use some liquid soap (Dawn) in a bucket of water or put it in sprayer. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I keep a soapy bucket and sponge handy and like a spray bottle full of the mixture in my hand. do a fender, door , etc at a time, wash and rinse thoroughly. let dry and start polishing. You will be happy with the results. The term 'babys ass' comes to mind! :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You don't need "elbow grease" - just a steady pressure. Then feel the area with your fingers - if smooth as a "baby's butt" as 70boss302 hinted to - it's done - move to the next area.

Wont take you very long either for the entire car - maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JoeS said:
You don't need "elbow grease" - just a steady pressure. Then feel the area with your fingers - if smooth as a "baby's butt" as 70boss302 hinted to - it's done - move to the next area.

Wont take you very long either for the entire car - maybe 45 minutes to an hour.

Good Luck and have fun.
What a relief! I was expecting to spend the better part of the day claying! Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Make sure you don't drop the claybar ! If you do you might as well throw it away because it will p/u dirt and grit !

Rob :cheers:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
IT L GO said:
Use some liquid soap (Dawn) in a bucket of water or put it in sprayer. :cheers:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE DAWN BECUASE IF IT IS ACCIDENTLY LEFT ON IT WILL EAT THROUGH THE CLEAR COAT. It is very strong stuff. The clay bar will remove old wax so there is no need to use any detergent soaps. See the Adam's Car Polishes website for superlative instructions. DO USE PLENTY OF LUB WHICH CAN BE MADE FROM A FEW DROPS OF QUALITY CAR SHAMPOO AND A WATER SPRAYER...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do the sandwich bag before and after to feel the difference. :coo:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Only use Dawn if you are wanting to strip the current wax/oils off the clear coat in preparation for new wax(per Sal Zaino's instructions)

don't use it as a matter of course as a clay bar lubricant.

I use my QD(quick detail) spray-Zaino Z6 as a lubricant. As it has some wax ingredients in it, it's very, very slick and wipes of with the clay bar residue extremely well......

Hopefully you have a random orbital(porter cable 7424 is my tool of choice). nothing better to get the swirls out applying a quality polish to get ready for the wax job!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have any of you guys tried P21S wax. It is excellent for Italian cars. It made no difference on my BMWfrom other waxes though. It is the detailers choice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE DAWN BECUASE IF IT IS ACCIDENTLY LEFT ON IT WILL EAT THROUGH THE CLEAR COAT. It is very strong stuff. The clay bar will remove old wax so there is no need to use any detergent soaps. See the Adam's Car Polishes website for superlative instructions. DO USE PLENTY OF LUB WHICH CAN BE MADE FROM A FEW DROPS OF QUALITY CAR SHAMPOO AND A WATER SPRAYER...
Actually, Dawn won't eat thru the clearcoat...just thru the wax coat.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
JETBLU said:
correct.....subsequent washes should be with a premium (IMO) car wash solution..

:z:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got up this morning and woah :eek: !!!!! It's a little cold and windy here in St. Mary's, GA so I am gonna wait untill tomorrow but more than likley next weekend to clay. I will try to post before and afters. Later! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
JETBLU said:
INCORRECT. CALL ADAMS CAR POLISH AND ASK FOR ADAM PITALE. THERE ARE CASES OF DAWN ERRODING THE CLEAR COAT WHEN ITS LEFT ON TOO LONG AND ALLOWED TO DRY. THE CLAY BAR WILL EASILY REMOVE THE WAX WITHOUT THE RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE CLEARCOAT. I use Dawn for dishes and NEVER for my Corvette..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Call Adam's Car Polishes in Terrance, CA. They have the finest car care products I've ever used and I'm on the Zaino, and Meguir's websites so I've used them all. Adam's is the best product in the world.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Met Adam yesterday at Ruby's curise-in Redondo Beach Ca. He gave a very convincing demo of some of his products. I've been a Griots fan for several years now, but going to give Adam a shot. Was very inpressed wih his demo.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I bought the Mother's clay bar and used the NXT spray detailer to keep it wet when I used it. I know it sounds crazy, but the result was astonishing. I couldn't have been happier. :jammin:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JtownZ06 said:
I bought the Mother's clay bar and used the NXT spray detailer to keep it wet when I used it. I know it sounds crazy, but the result was astonishing. I couldn't have been happier. :jammin:
That is the exact set up that I have. :thumb: I am going to follow it up with the NXT Paste Wax when I am done and see how she turn's out. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts