Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local club (America's Corvette Club), left Friday morning for a weekend trip to Southwest Michigan. About 28 Vettes caravaned from the Detroit area and stayed two nights at the Lake Shore Resort, overlooking the Eastern shore of Lake Michigan...Absolutely specatcular sunsets, excellent facilities, and our club had every room reserved! I'll post pics later tonight.

The highlight for me was time on the 1.9 mile, 11 turn GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, MI. First time ever at this track and first on track experience with the C6.

To say I had fun, is such an understatement. Our first time on track were 5 parade laps, so Mrs Zippy (Pat) came along and we did the 5 laps to get familiar with the layout. Later on, I was asked to lead a group for 5 "moderate speed" laps...ok, I thought, I'll go "moderately fast." The starter gave me the go sign, and off I went. ..1/2 lap later I don't see anyone in my mirror, so I keep driving "moderately." :)
Caught up to the last car, a C5, and since we weren't alloweed to pass, I just kept up with him. Having a ball, and went pass the timing tower at 93 mph (gotta love the HUD). Ok, I'm thining, I can go a bit quicker next lap before braking for turn #1...oh oh, a yellow flag! I get on the radio, and no one tells me why, so I slow down for about 3/4 of a lap, and see a green flag waving at one of the corner worker stands..start having fun again, and next thing I kow our five laps is up.

The C6? No trouble, no problems, handles extremely well, takes the corners like it was glued to the track. oil, water, trans temp all OK.

Keep in mind, I know my skill level (beginner), so I didn't push the car to the ragged edge, my plan was to have fun, and gain track experience...I did so, and anxious to do it again!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Zippy, sounds like your Moderate is a bit faster then the car that was behind you. Did you ever find out what the yellow was for?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Sounds like a blast! Glad you had a good time. :cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark Olson said:
Zippy, sounds like your Moderate is a bit faster then the car that was behind you. Did you ever find out what the yellow was for?
Mark: Yes, and fortunately it wasn't serious. A C4 boiled his brake fluid, and some hit the exhaust causing smoke. That caused the yellow until he safely pulled off track. After cool down period his car is OK.

Also had the pleasure of meeting one of our members at G-Man raceway. "Vpr Klr," with his yellow Z06 noticed my plate and asked if I was "Zippy from Z06vette.com." Vpr Klr was with his Porsche buddies, who had the track before us.

Zip :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here's a shot Mrs Zippy took as I came down the main straight at Gingerman.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Very Nice Mr. Zip! :cheers:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Great writeup Zippy, glad to hear Gingerman is allot of fun. :coo:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Zippy...the first time with the C6 on a track....Uh...Oh...You're gonna be a monster at Nashville Speedway during the Fest!!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Wow Zippy, that's really cool. Sounds like you were a touch quicker than your group!! Keep it up buddy.....or better yet, keep it down, the pedal that is!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gingerman Race Track

I had the pleasure of meeting Zippy this weekend at Gingerman Race Track. Great people!!!!! I was invited by our neighbors who have a Boxster S to participate in a 3 day drivers education event. It was spectacular as this was my first track event also. Hopefully everyone had a great time at the track.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts