Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Island Dragway this past Saturday, and for my very first run ever, I got a 12.87 @ 109.5 MPH. Is that good? It's pretty much a bone stock 2001 Zee (just a K&N - no filter cover box), and I was running on stock tires.

My second run was 13.6 because I totally missed 4th AND I spun the tires through much of second :flaming: And my 3rd run (elimination) I ran 13.2 - yet again I spun first and second (I guess I need more practice)...2nd and 3rd runs were both at around 109Mph.

I only got 3 runs in because it was raceday, and they were running brackets.. the only reason why I went on Saturday is because we were going to Atlantic City for the weekend, otherwise I would have tried to go on a Friday or a Sunday - I've heard I could get in a lot more runs verse cars that wouldn't kick my ass!
I don't think it's too fair to line me up next to a heavily modified car that runs low 12's high 11's. They said it's all based on a handicap system, but I don't see how that came into play because I lost anyway! The truck ran 12.4 and I ran 13.2 and was eliminated...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I race my 03 there every Friday night. There are very few cars you would lose to, but there are some real fast ones too. Tons of ricers running 14's and 15's. It's tough to get an even race on Friday nights. When its busy always used the grudge match lane and find a buddy to race, it goes quicker.
BTW for that track and the weather conditions, your time is very good.
I'll look for you next time..
Also come to the Corvette Challenge this Saturday in Etown, there will be plenty of guys there that will help you.

Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Z06-Dave said:
I race my 03 there every Friday night. There are very few cars you would lose to, but there are some real fast ones too. Tons of ricers running 14's and 15's. It's tough to get an even race on Friday nights. When its busy always used the grudge match lane and find a buddy to race, it goes quicker.
BTW for that track and the weather conditions, your time is very good.
I'll look for you next time..
Also come to the Corvette Challenge this Saturday in Etown, there will be plenty of guys there that will help you.

Dave
Sounds cool. Are there any cars there that would be a good race for me, like '05 M3's, or STi's? Since I'm stock, I'd probably lose to most of the nicely modded 8cyl's, but now I'm just on a quest to beat my best 1/4 mi time... ;)

And I'll try to make it to that corvette challenge!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Sounds cool. Are there any cars there that would be a good race for me, like '05 M3's, or STi's? Since I'm stock, I'd probably lose to most of the nicely modded 8cyl's, but now I'm just on a quest to beat my best 1/4 mi time... ;)

And I'll try to make it to that corvette challenge!
I would guess that the majority of cars run 13-15.
If 80 cars show up (on a normal Friday night) the approximate breakdown would be:
<10 Seconds, 5
10-11 Seconds 5
11-12 Seconds 10
12-13 Seconds 25
>13 seconds 35

Its hard to say whay kind of cars will be there, if you go there 3 nights, you will see every car imagineable. If you can keep it in the mid 12's you will rarely lose.
Since there is a CC on Saturday I wont be there this week.
I have only ever seen one M3, plenty of STI's, lots of WRX's
There are rarely other Vettes there. Stay clear of the Turbo Buicks. After you go a couple of Friday nights you'll see the same people and know where your car stands...

Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats!! That's a great run for your first time out!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Congrats, Great time :cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys :D

Z06 - Dave.. that's cool - I'd just hate to lose to everyone, but it sounds like a pretty fair mix of cars. One thing I've been wondering - do people generally consider it a win if they reach the "finish line" first? I know on raceday, of course that didn't matter, only 1/4 mi times...
My very first race there, my r/t SUCKED... I wasn't used to it and I didn't know when the light would go green, so the car next to me took off (not to mention he had DR's), and I was late, yet I still had a better 1/4 mi. time...so I won. But even if the guy next to me has a slower 1/4 mi, I'm thinking they'll talk smack if they had a better r/t. :-? Conventionally, the winner is the first to cross the finish line, but technically I think it should be whoever got there faster...

Also, how many runs can you usually get in on a fri night?? I'd like to get more than 3 if I'm gonna haul my ass all that way. Is E-town any better?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your car should be able to handle 80% of the cars that show up on a Friday night. Of course, you could line up against the other 20% all night an lose. We'll find you a good grudge match or two.
Since it's only a test and tune night when we race grudge matches RT doesn't count, the ONLY thing that matters is who gets the the line first, bad RT or not. I go up with a few guys and we usually have some some good runs, although they've been tinkering with their little turbo V6's and some run pretty fast, I'm not sure I can take them out anymore.

Come to the CC on Saturday at 3:00, you can get some valuable practice and tips from guys who do this for a living, everyone is willing to help out, its a good time.
I suck and I go all the time.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts