Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to a smaller track out in E. Texas. Less cars, no nonsense from racers with "attitudes" (which occurs all the time at the Texas Motorplex nowdays :( ). Got 5 passes in within 4 hours and the track was down for an hour b/c a turbo Eclipse oiled an entire lane from 60' to finish line.

I will drive an extra hour each way to race there...just b/c you get to really practice...instead of sitting in the staging lanes 2 hours b/w runs.

Temps were in the 50-55^ range all day. Sun never came out, so the surface was cold. But, it was a "good air" day for us folk here in N. Texas.

The car does not wheelhop on me much at all on the streets (but I am pampered with good, new concrete streets where I live), but today I got a lesson in how the IRS does NOT work with too much torque applied. This is my first IRS car, so I was shocked.

First pass, I went out pretty easy, feathered the clutch ~2200+rpm and it hopped some. Hit the rev-limiter on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Didn't bother trying to powershift (IOW, I lifted my right foot on each shift) b/c it was spinning pretty hard. 2.07 60' and a 12.62 @ 115.11mph. Not bad for a first pass.

Next two passes I was too aggressive with the launch. Wheelhopping badly. I just left at too high of an rpm and even feathering the clutch some it would spin all the way through 2nd gear. 12.82 @ 115.8 and 12.78 @ 115.7. 60's were 2.27 and 2.26.

Fourth gear I finally figured out the technique for a cold track with this car. Launched at idle, got all the way off the clutch and then went full throttle. It responded with a 12.49 @ 116.3mph...2.100 60' time. The reason it was better than my first pass was b/c I didn't have to lift the throttle in 1st gear like I had on my previous 3 runs. So while the 60' was not great, I was accelerating quicker once I reached the 60' mark and beyond.

Final pass it came together nicely and a pulled a 12.36 @ 116.7mph. 2.04 60' time.

All in all I was very pleased with the way it ran. I can definitely see how guys who can get 1.8x 60' times are in the high-11s/12.0 range. That was not going to happen today with the cold track just not allowing any real "stick" with an F1 tire.

Now its time to get the EASE software, MAFT, then choose some headers and install the nitrous.

Should be a solid mid, low-11/126-128mph car after that. :)

Oh yeah...this was with 1100 miles on the car. Still breaking her in. AND I didn't powershift one gear all day. I've been practicing this on the city streets where I live. It's easier to powershift this car than any other I've driven...but with the slick surface today, it wasn't worth trying.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Wes, disregard the E mail.....
Great times for a beginner!!!!!!!.......:)
Really, it was a tad cooool, for good stick today.......I am surprised it fared so well.
12.36........very good, and trap well up there too.......
When you get er' dialed in, you will definitely see the 11's....................:)
Congrats!!!!!!!!

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement.

Lawboy said:
great times WES!!! wish i could've been there....still at the office....

looks like you can REALLY drive!!!
Not as good as you, my friend!!! :D

Seriously, if I could have powershifted it (and gotten traction while doing so...it will always chirp the tires good on a powershift, but today it would have put the car all over the track, so I didn't bother)...it would have run a 12.20 or better...easily.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
"A good day" I'd say. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Wes, Way to GO! Just wait till you have some more run's to get used to the car. Maybe Z06's were designed for road raceing, but for such a SUPER all around car it isen't to bad at the drags! Ric

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Wes

HAH!!!!!!!!
Chirping the tires...................yeah, right!!!!!.......
Powershifting on that cold deck, you would/could have been kissing the wall...........
They "Chirp", without PS, so i can imagine a true PS on that cool a track...............Gahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My point EXACTLY, Terry! :D

No sense in taking chances. There were a number of cars getting loose out there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
no trust me....i can already see you are much better at the strip than me....you should've seen my first few times down the track...can we say 14's!!!!!?????? then the next dozen in the 13s then slowly into the 12s until finally i learned how to drive this car and hit the low 12s but you seemed to pick all that up in one afternoon...i'm sure if you were driving my car on the day i turned a 12.1...you would have turned an 11.9x........:eek: :eek: :eek:

i dont do this enough to be in the same league with you and ranger and powershifter....i know my limitations!

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but you got it figured out now!! :)

I don't race much anymore either, but I've got plenty of past stories to tell. Like one time, lighting up the drag radials on my "other car" and running a 13.2 @ 131mph. :eek: :eek: I can't say it was totally unintentional, but still....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I gots to chime in here boys. I WAS THERE and Wes is (if anything) is understating how bad the track was. A friend of mine with a 93 Vette automatic and 2:59 gears couldn't even hook up...he was spinning well past the launch area. Seriously, Wes did an excellant job to get those kind of times because EVERYBODY was having to lift some to get down the track. Air was good for making good horsepower but the lack of sun and track preparation really made it hard for Wes to stay hooked up. I got to say tho it was sure sweet to see that shiney blue Z06 streak down the track. He made us Vette fans proud. Way to go Wes and look forward to watching you perform again!

Chuck

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chuck,

Thanks for the backup as far as my observations re: track conditions.

I was not disappointed in the car (or my driving) at all considering I've launched the car _hard_ from a standing start about 4 times before getting to the track. Doing 10mph roll-ons in 1st gear is one thing...its getting the car from 0-10mph that is the key, and if you want to be aggressive with it (not leave off idle), then the track has to be in good shape.

Great to meet a fellow Z06 owner, and I look forward to seeing you again out there sometime! :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wes,

Awsome numbers.... What race track are you talking about??? Is it Hallsville or something like that? I was at Ennis one time and got 10 runs in about 3.5 hours. It's all depends on what day you come out. Last time it was the crowdiest day that anybody ever seen. It was very unusual. Glad you had fun. Let me know when you're going to be out there again. I'll join you.

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ddle,

Yep. Myself and a lot of my "Mustang" buddies went to Hallsville.

I refuse to go to Ennis on Friday night Test N Tune sessions anymore. I have been racing at Ennis for over a decade and have enjoyed it up until about the last 2 years. Now a typical Fri. night sees 400-500 cars and a bunch of racers with bad attitudes and disrespectful tendencies. I couldn't care less to waste my time from 6pm - midnight and get 2 runs in.

I have been there before when you could get a lot of passes in like you describe. Those times are few and far between anymore. :(

With Hallsville, you _know_ you're going to get plenty of runs in. With Ennis, its a crap-shoot at best. As little as I get to the track anymore...I'd rather not chance it...unless the track is rented out by a private organization. That is different, of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
12.36 is awesome for a 1100 mile bone stocker, my last LS1 really woke up after it had about 5000 miles on it , I'm assuming the LS6 will be the same way... isnt it just unbelievable, drive a car to the track getting 28- 30 miles to the gallon and run low 12's...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wes,

You're right about Friday nights. I wouldn't go out there on Friday myself. Does the track open every Saturday in Hallsville? A few buddies of mine are dying to get some track times. 1/8 mile track is too short, and I'm reluctant to take a chance at Ennis.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts