Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to the track. Here's the details.
Where: Lebanon Valley Dragway in N.Y.
When: Sunday July 22.
Time: 1st run 12 noon,2nd run 2:05,3rd 4 p.m.
Temperature: 90 degrees @ noon
Mods: K & N replacement filter in stock airbox modified by me to get real ram/cold air induction. Every thing else performance related is stock including tire pressure at 38 p.s.i. The only other modification made was removing my golf clubs from trunk /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

My first run was a 12.766 @ 111.19 mph with a 60 foot time of 2.017, launch at 2000 rpm.

My second run was a 12.592 @ 112.30 mph, 60 foot time was 1.988, launch rpm was 2000.

Third run was botched. 12.788 @112.53, 60 foot was 2.126. Launch rpm was 2200. My left foot must have let the clutch up a hair as the lights were coming down, causing me to redlight and start the timer. There was no tire spin with my highest trap speed. that run should have been quicker than the second.

My launch technique consists of a light burnout, no smoke per say. Just bring the r's up to 3500 and dump the clutch for 10 feet or so to clean off the tires. crazy burnouts don't heat the tires any better, there not slicks. Stage car by just lightly engaging the cluth as you roll into the lights. Next hold the clutch pedal about 1/2" below engagement while holding the rpm's at the desired rpm. The clutch will engage softer than coming of the floor and shocking the tires. As the clutch engages, lay into the throttle just as smoothly. Basically don't mash the throttle & don't sidestep the clutch of the floor. Going down the track shift at 6400 or higher but don't hit the rev limiter.

To rap it up, G.M.'s numbers are right on the money. I didn't expect a 12.5 in that heat. Drop the temperature 35 degrees and run at another track (Lebanon is above sea level, typically 1-2 tenths slower than Atco or Englishtown dragway) and this car has a 12.3 maybe 12.2 in it, stock!
I will post the time slips as soon as I load the drivers for my scanner & figure out how to post it? I took the scanner out of the box last week, I'm getting there! By the way I'm running my camaro on the nitrous next week. Wish me luck. Later Ed G.

I added my timeslip to my website.
http://members.cardomain.com/edgz06
Some cool pics on page 4.
I don't know how to add it here/ Any help JC or Frank? Where can I upload it to?

1968 509 c.i. Pro Street Camaro
11.05 @ 125 m.p.h. on pump gas, street legal
Big Shot Nitrous runs this summer to be posted.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Great story... thanks for sharing!

Nice time too... I'm sure they will only get better /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chris. By the way, drive your car as much as possible. If you like it now, just wait till she breaks in! ED G

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for sharing Ed!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif Those are great times, especially considering the temp.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nice work Ed...
I'm certain your times will definitely drop w/ the temperatures /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
I'm waiting for this oppressive FL heat to cool off a bit before I run my car, and like you I'm looking for low 12's as well.
Keep the faith brother!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMAZ06, No, thats not me opening at maplecroft mall. I like to open in strip malls.

·
Registered
528 Posts
EDGZ06,

What was your desired RPMs?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ddle, Desired launch rpm should be around 2200 depending on how good the track is. If there are alot of cars running slicks, after a few runs the track will get stickyer. Since I've only had three runs in the Z I can't tell you for sure what's tha best rpm. I know I had traction at 2200 rpm.
Later, EDGZ06

1 - 11 of 11 Posts