Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2001 z06 about 3 months ago, I am planning on going to the z06 fest in July and attend the track day at Nashville Super speedway. I would be my first time on a track, I was one of those sorts who always worried about breaking something, so I never tried.

I heard the local corvette club (Albuquerque, NM) was having a track day, and thought I'd go out at try it before going to the z06 fest. There were about 12 cars that showed up, we each paid $80 each and had the track (Sandia motor speedway) all to ourselves from 8 am to 5 pm. The track is a combination road course and oval, it uses the straight aways of the 1 mile oval track. Speeds varied from 5 mph corners to 115 mph straight away.

Since it was my first time I was in the slowest of the three groups (4 cars each). After a 1/2 orientation class, I was given a tour of the track (in a van) by the track instructorand explained where to enter each turn (rumble strips and blue dots on the course).

Each group ran five laps plus a warm down (brake cooling) lap. There were 3 zo6's (the other two were the fastest cars in the fastest group), I ran my z06 in the slowest group with a cooper s, a miata, and a 77 vette (with some c5 suspension components). I got a lesson in humiliation during my first set of laps as I was passed by the mini cooper (a female school teacher no less). I got tired driving the first set of laps, fighting the car around the course, and ended up getting in trouple in the few of the turns, nearly going off track. Then there was the cement wall on the final straight away, complete with many colors of paid smeared on it.

One of the z06 guys took pity (met him before the race and helped him bolt on his racing slicks) on me and drove with me on the second set of 5 laps and told me how to take the turns, my speed increased (no one passed me this time) and I was fighting the car less, using the more of the track etc. My new friend then asked if I wanted to ride with him, I ageed. Luckily I had skipped breakfast that morning.

He was fast, and I nearly puked. It was like the highest g roller coaster ride I had ever been on (5 laps in a row).

It was time for lunch, I didn't eat because I was still dizzy.

Any way, to make a long story short, because of the help and instruction of a fellow z06 er I ended up passing the mini coopers, and closing in on a few others (the definitly noticed my improvement) the rest of the day.

Eventually my dizzieness went away, and I developed a new found appreciation of what kind of machine we own, its truly awsome car (Nothing over heated, nothing leaked, nothing broke). Event tire wear on the stock super comps wasn't an issue.

I now find my self driving around town and actually catch my self focusing on the apex of turns, having a few flashbacks to those laps on the track. Can't wait for nashville now, I not scared any more.

Jon

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jon-

Welcome to the club-once you do it, its all down hill from there. Look forward to seeing you at the Fest.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Z06 :z: :z:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Now you know just how valuable these driving schools are...and just how much difference a good driver makes - no matter what car you're in. Be careful though, this stuff is addicting!!!!! :yeadog: :jammin:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
It is very addicting! :thumb: No cops behind you and go as fast as you are capable of! :yeadog:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking forward to see you at the z06 fest also.

I did have another question. Folks at the driving event kept talking about how bad it was to have your brake fluid boil over. Why is this so bad, besides having to change out the fluid, does it damage brake components also?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Exactly !

jebia said:
I got a lesson in humiliation during my first set of laps as I was passed by [a] mini cooper (a female school teacher no less). I got tired driving the first set of laps, fighting the car around the course, and ended up getting in trouple in the few of the turns, nearly going off track.
One of the z06 guys ... drove with me on the second set of 5 laps and told me how to take the turns, my speed increased (no one passed me this time) and I was fighting the car less, using the more of the track etc.
My new friend then asked if I wanted to ride with him, I ageed. Because of the help and instruction of a fellow z06 er I ended up passing the mini coopers, and closing in on a few others (the definitly noticed my improvement) the rest of the day.
I developed a new found appreciation of what kind of machine we own, its truly awsome car (Nothing over heated, nothing leaked, nothing broke). Event tire wear on the stock super comps wasn't an issue.
I now find my self driving around town and actually catch my self focusing on the apex of turns, having a few flashbacks to those laps on the track. Can't wait for nashville now, I not scared any more.
Jon
Jon ... Congratulations ...! Now that you've had the "Z06 epiphany" it just gets better ... and more expensive! :jammin:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
jebia said:
Looking forward to see you at the z06 fest also.

I did have another question. Folks at the driving event kept talking about how bad it was to have your brake fluid boil over. Why is this so bad, besides having to change out the fluid, does it damage brake components also?

thanks in advance.
When the fluid boils...it produces bubbles. Your brakes will fade and your braking power will go away. Not Fun at All!! :NoNo:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When they say "you'll definitely have a bad day" (if your brake fluid boils over) are they refering to the fact that you'll probably wreck due to the lack of braking, or are they saying that because you'll have to flush, fill and re-bleed your brakes? Or both?

Jon

·
Registered
350 Posts
Could be both. Fluid doesn't compress much...but air does. That's why when you get an air bubble in the line, the brake pedal feels 'squishy' and not firm. The more air you get in the lines, the 'squishier' it feels and the further the pedal has to travel for the car to actually stop.

Boiling fluid is much, much harder than you'd think though even during normal driving events. For most folks, as long as you don't sit with your foot on the brake after a session, you'll be fine. Use the cool down lap for just that - cooling everything down and you shouldn't have any problems. I change my fluid about every 2 or 3 races, but for just DE stuff, once or twice a year is more than plenty. Drive hard!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
bbunting said:
Jon-

Welcome to the club-once you do it, its all down hill from there.
And you're already thinking about brake fluids... soon it will be pads, the brake ducts, before not to long it will be wheels and tires... :lol:

Nice writeup of your first DE. Can be very humbling, yet rewarding at the same time. Have fun at the Fest. :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the responses.

Subdriver,

That is some car you you built (web link). The fastest guy out at our track , the day I went out (rumored also to be fastest guy in town around that track), was a 2001 z06 without any engine mods (not even intake or exhaust), just the T1 suspension kit and Khumo's (sp?) on stock looking 18" wheels front and rear. I guess at this level it really pretty much depends on driver talent.

Jon

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks, but I'm not that talented. The good folks at Phoenix Performance (forum vendor with link to the left) prepped my car for me. But, I have somehow managed to keep it running (more or less) for the past two and a half years with some help from my friends (many from this forum) and a very talented brother-in-law.

You are right about driving talent, which is largely a result of experience. The stock Z06 right out of the box can handle 99% of the cars you will see at a DE once you get the experience to get the most out of the car. It has a very nice balance of power, handling and braking and is fairly easy to drive quickly.

If you get the DE bug, here is a good listing of DE events in the southeast:
http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html

Most of these clubs have some very talented instructors that can help you tremendously (while trying to keep you within your limits).

Have fun out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Jon -

Correction, the oval is 3/8 mile I believe, the road course is 1 2/3 mile.

Why is it that they have this kind of track day AFTER I move?!

Who were you riding with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike, your right, the oval is not 1 mile. The day for me was a blur (sensory over load). I'm not sure of the name of the guy who took the time to help me, I think his name was Jeff (he was there with his wife and kids) or Jerry, he was driving a 405 hp electron blue z06 and was using Hoosier racing tires on 18" (front and rear) stock looking z06 wheels.

Hopefully I'll run into him this weekend, the club is having a car show at Casa Cheverolet. I'd like to thank him again for his help.

I agree, we're truly lucky to have new track like this so close of home (30 minute drive from my house).

Jon

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hey Jon -

Just don't take your car into casa for work... They nuked a rear end on me, then the next three trying to fix it. The last one they did was a complete replacement, drove the car to CA, where it died the next day.

Luckily it died where I bought the car, and a good shop was able to fix it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
BTW, the guy you rode with doesn't sound familiar. I mostly ran with the SCCA or the PCA while I was there, as the vette guys didn't seem to be doing any track stuff while I was there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Subdriver said:
Thanks, but I'm not that talented. The good folks at Phoenix Performance (forum vendor with link to the left) prepped my car for me.
BS! I beg to differ there bud. Anybody that can go as far as you did along with winning a Div Championship with the limited amount of experience you have...has some talent! Yep, your car was good, but you did wonders with a limited amount of seat time!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts