Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this thread before, but it was before I had a ZO6, so i did not pay much attention to it. It is a buzzing sound which occurs during rapid acceleration. How do I fix this annoying sound????

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Autolover,

See my thread of 8/30/01: "Ripper Shifter Noise." I'm sure all the great advise I got would apply to any shifter.....

I did a search on: "Ripper Shifter Noise," and the thread popped up!! Same problem of vibrating shifter linkage under WOT.....that you have.....

I got rid of 100% of my noise by doing the following:

1. Used stick on wheel weights on the lower part of the shifter to increase mass....wrapped tightly with black electrical tape.

2. Wrapped all of the linkage with Dynomat, which you can buy at any auto audio store.

3. The above 2 fixes got rid of 90% of the noise. The final fix was changing the gear shift knob to a Hard Bar, same as the C5R race cars use. I'll bet if you did a survey, you'd find the Hard Bar is the #1 choice in shift knobs. It's fully threaded and made of a very dense space age plastic like material. I was told by Shawn @ L.A.P.D. that I would love the knob, AND, that it would add mass and absorb linkage noise. Well he was right.....no more noise, and the knob is FANTASTIC. I never thought a shift knob would turn me on, but what can I say:eek: :roll: :p

L.A.P.D. is one of our vendors.....I'm sure other vendors would also carry:)

HTH,
Barrie
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
autolover said:
I have seen this thread before, but it was before I had a ZO6, so i did not pay much attention to it. It is a buzzing sound which occurs during rapid acceleration. How do I fix this annoying sound????
I hear a little high tinny vibration also at high RPM's with my Ripper. What exactly is vibrating?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Dreamin said:
It might just be the leather boot rubbing against shifter post... makes the same sound.
This is apparently very common. Next time it happens, press on the top of the boot, right below the shift knob, and see if you can make it stop. Mine does it too, and it has been reported by a number of others. I think some kind of leather-friendly lubricant applied between the top of the boot and the shaft of the shifter would alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Jerry Velders said:

This is apparently very common. Next time it happens, press on the top of the boot, right below the shift knob, and see if you can make it stop. Mine does it too, and it has been reported by a number of others. I think some kind of leather-friendly lubricant applied between the top of the boot and the shaft of the shifter would alleviate the problem.
Interesting...I will give that a shot...easy fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts