Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the garage yeasterday morning to go to work and noticed my right front tire was flat. I couldn't get a jack under the car so i decided to use the inflate kit to lift the car so I could jack it up and remove the tire. I poured the goop into the tire and attached the pump. I plugged the pump into the cigarette lighter, started the car and switched on the pump. Nothing! I tried a CB in the lighter. Nothing! Well, I guess the lighter doesn't work.

I then remembered about the aux outlet in the center console. I plugged in the pump and it started pumping away. It never got past 20 lbs. but that was enough to get a jack under the car. As I jacked up the car, I watched with bemusment as practically all of the goop I had poured into the tire came streaming back out through the hole in the tread along with all the air I had put in.

If this is GM's idea of a spare tire, they can keep it. God help anyone who has a flat out on the road because that stupid kit sure won't help you. It's Auto Club or nothing. Do any of those fix-a-flat in a can products work? I'm sure as hell not going to get another bottle of the crap GM supplies. A friend tells me GM gets the kit from Porsche. It figures.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think a lot of it should run out at first, then it starts to build up and plugs the hole. I had a one inch slice on the inside of the tire and was able to drive only a few blocks before I needed to pump more air into it. But that's a big hole to fill and I lost a lot of goop along the way. I was sure wishing I had my run flats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts