Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a cross-country jaunt from NY to NV shortly after installing the Maggie. Was shocked to learn that TX premium is only 90 octane. In the heat of the NV desert on 91 octane, I experienced slight pinging at WOT. (The motor is tuned for 93) Needless to say, WOT operation ceased. Overall, (with the cruise set at 90 for 75% of the trip) I achieved a respectable 27.3 MPG. (Exchanged business cards with a very nice OK Highway Patrolman) My biggest concern was a flat tire and the thousands of bugs that adorned the nose when I arrived in NV. A power wash of the front end, along with a claying, worked wonders on the bugs.

If I make this trip again (in August maybe) is there a decent octane booster that I can add to the tank when I get west of the Mississippi and the "hi-test" ain't so hi-test?

My thanks again to Carmen and Dennis out there at Vette Doctors for their perfect install and tune.

Charlie

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Glad you made the trip ok...that's a long haul. You should be able to get 93 most anywhere in Texas. That's all we have in Houston. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Casey...

I drove out west mostly on I-70 so I missed Texas. On the return, I came through Amarillo and needed gas BAD!! I got off of I-40 in the heart of the city and went to 4 brand name gas stations and none of them had anything higher than 90. Next time, I'm packing some octane booster just in case...that is if anyone can tell me what the best one might be.

BTW...since I was passing through Oklahoma City later that day, I made it a point to stop at the Oklahoma City Memorial. Having spent some time at Ground Zero here in New York shortly after the attacks, I kinda felt compelled to visit Oklahoma City. Needless to say, it was a very sad experience. I think we all need a little reminder now and again.

Anyway...whose got a line on a decent octane booster?

Charlie

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Charlie...I've used STP in the past and I haven't had a problem with it. :cheers:

xxxeditxxx

Here's a link

http://www.stp.com/fuel_oct_boost.html

xxxedit againxxx

I know a couple of people that swear by Torco...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts