Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all that has given me all the great information on Brake Pads, Brake Rotors and Brake Fluid.:cheers:

The Motul Racing 600 Brake Fluid arrived yesterday and I have made a pressure brake bleeder. I used a 1 gallon Garden Sprayer, the kind with the hand pump on top. Installed a tire valve so I can use a tire gauge to get the proper pressure.:)

:-? What I need to know is the proper method for flushing out the old fluid, replacing it with the new fluid and bleeding the system?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I see ....

....that you puchased a high quality fluid and I commend you.
Some will tell you that you only have to drain the system. Refill and bleed the brake properly. And you can probably get away with that.

I prefere however to do a little more. If you drain the system the ABS system does not drain. Then the next time the ABS is activated it contaminates your new high performance brake fluid with the stock fluid from the ABS.

To prpperly drain the ABS system while the brake system is drained requires it to be Activated by a Tech II system. A good brake shop or your Chevy Dealer has one.

I let my local Chevy dealer bleed the system and ABS with the Tech II. Refilled and bled with the High performance fluid. I then took the car out and heated up the system then took back to them immediately to bleed while hot. A hint here is to use a rubber mallet, lightly tapping the calipers during the hot bleed to get all the air out.

Now I can quickly bleed the system at the track and know that the ABS is full of the good stuff.

Another hint: DO NOT let the master cylinder go dry during a bleed. You can not bleed all four wheels on one master cylinder volume. You have to check and refill the master after each wheel bleed.

Duiring the initial drain do not pump the brakes with an empty master cylinder.

In short let the Dealer do the initial bleed and refill. Let them get their floor messy. Then you can bleed the wheels at the track or in your garage at your leisure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I use 1 quart at a minimum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts