Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any downsides to flycutting pistons for a large cam? I was thinking that removing material from the pistons would weaken them causing reliability to go down. I would really like to get a g5x3 (112 LSA) with AFR heads, but I am scared that the pistons would go after a short while.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
That might be a concern with a cast piston. I would not fly cut the OEM's

The larger concern is that any sharp edge may increase the chance of a hot spot to develop knock or pre run combustion. That is why, besides reducing compression ratio of the piston itself, that forced induction engines have dished pistons that open up the quench area(they of course make up the compression in other ways).

In a NA engine I would use quality forged pistons if I had to fly cut them, in fact they can be ordered that way from Ross, JE, Weisco and others.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I did not say you could not Fly cut the OEM cast pistons. I merely stated that it might be a cause for concern and personally I would not do so on my own car or one I was preparing for a customer.

And spraying Nitrous is slightly different than forced induction.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I have yet to hear of anyone that has Fly-cut there stock pistons and had a failure attributed to them. :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts