Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much HP would you need to gain (in a stock 02 Z) in order to equal the performance of say a 100 lb reduction in the same stock car? Is there a formula for this?

I have heard that proportionetly a weight reduction creates a more dramatic effect on performance than adding HP. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yup - that's roughly what it's worth. You can also say it's worth roughly .10 in the 1/4, and 1 MPH.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It's all about the power to weight ratio. Take your Z06 that's about 3300 with fuel and driver. 405 HP means about 8.1 lbs per HP. Shave 8.1 lbs, and you've just made an extra HP. The scale slides as you drop weight, but you get the idea. The nice part about less weight is that it applies to all rpm ranges. And less weight means less stress on parts.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Desmo said:
Really, that's all!?
Well, weight on your axle is worth 3 times that amount, roughly.

So 33lb of wheel tire reduction is also worth 10rwhp.

My approximation is based on a 3500lb car that runs 13.0 in the 1/4 with 310rwhp.

As the weight changes, the engine power changes, the number changes. But not alot for street cars.

When your car gets REALLY light, it's more than 10hp.

Performance gained by weight loss is the best. Less wear on the components, better braking and cornering. So that's actually better than the 10hp.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Every 100 lbs is worth a tenth.

Some schools of thought have said 50 lbs was worth a tenth. But, dropping weight is just like making more HP

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Agreed! I would add that reducing unsprung weight is more like 50 lbs. being worth a tenth, sprung weight is closer to the 100 lb comparison.

Les

J-Rod said:
Every 100 lbs is worth a tenth.

Some schools of thought have said 50 lbs was worth a tenth. But, dropping weight is just like making more HP

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I haven't determined the exact ratio for the Z yet, but 100lbs=10hp=0.1sec, and 100lbs=30hp=0.3sec for rotating mass is what happened to our SS.

With Kathy riding shotgun, versus me solo, it came to 100lbs=0.10. No I'm not telling you her weight! And removing the 40lb passenger seat gave 0.04 seconds, so did the front sway.

Then on the HP side, when I increased power 18hp, it reduced ET by .2 seconds.

The Vette may be different, since it is lighter, it might be 75lbs=10hp, but I really doubt it could be lower than that.

The way to tell, it to track you ET gains vs. HP, and then have a passenger ride in the car for a pass then do the math.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Don't know about that, but my 12.19 @ 117.4 with a 230 lb driver on stock tires seems harder, no :)

Les

MikesZ06 said:
Does this mean that Ric (Powershifter) weighs about 75lbs ?:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
According to my handy-dandy 1/4 predictor,

100 lbs is worth 0.15 sec and 1.2 mph.
100 lbs is worth 15 rwhp for this same analysis.

Thats going from 3200 lbs with 360 rwhp to 3100 lbs with 360 rwhp. It depends on the weight and hp matchup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts