Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know a lot has been written about Optima batteries but even after reading all the threads I still had concerns (YES I am anal-I have a 2003 Z bought off of the showroom in Sept 02. It has 1923 miles-never been wet- never been washed with soap). It is covered in my garage with the window sticker framed and matted hanging on the wall). I drive it WHEN I want.....

The old Delco was sounding weak and with my previous history w/c4 vettes (battery just dying with no notice) I decided to replace with a red top. Here are some points:

1. I used a 75/35 Red Top. No one in my area (Fredericksburg VA) had the "new" part number (75/25) listed in the threads. I called three dealers (Costco/Pep Boys/Advance).

2. I did ask each dealer if they "just got some in". Cosco did not know, Pep boys was honest and said they did not sell many, Advance just recieved a shipment in this week. Costco was cheapest (by $10) but Advance got my business.

3. I used a voltmeter to pick out a battery at Advance. True to ther phone call they had at least 10 on the rack. The first one was clearly the old one and sure enough the voltage was below 12 volts. The next couple were 12.5 so I picked one. I did not see "date codes" on any of the batteries at Advance

4. I noticed some of the Optima's (at advance) had various "pieces/parts" for use in different installations. Not every battery had all of the parts. The Optima web site stated something about needing a different "shoe" for the battery hold down for some Fords. Never the less I made sure I had both "top" pieces and the hold down shoe on the one I purchased. NOTE: Did NOT need hold down shoe but both top pieces makes a NICE aesthetic installation (covers the top posts with a matching red to the rail covers).

5. Three year warrentee honored at all Advances. $109.99 + $10 core.

6. Optima fits perfectly into battery tray with lip of battery fitting into back side locking lip (of tray). The original "hold down shoe" work perfectly. (Do not over tighten this hold down shoe as you could possibility distort the battery.)

7. Connected the positive first then the negetive. I did see sparks and heard clicks when connecting the negative. I DID NOT DO ANYTHING IN ADVANCE OF REMOVING THE ORIGINAL BATTERY (i.e removing hood bulb/warming up engine/etc). I removed original battery and then went to Advance so the battery was out for a couple of hours.

8. The ONLY preset I lost was the clock. Seats /radio/memory for climite control all ok. Went I test drove the car it ran as before-no issues.

9. Final look of new red top actually compliments the engine compartment. I would not have believed this with out see it. ( I thought a battery with top posts would ruin the looks but the "top installation" pieces cover the posts)

You guys will never know how much I sweated this as anal as I am about this car. (State inspection time is not a fun time either)

PS: I have decided not to have the steering column recall done (because of my analiness)-any comments?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
nucferr said:
OK I know a lot has been written about Optima batteries but even after reading all the threads I still had concerns (YES I am anal-I have a 2003 Z bought off of the showroom in Sept 02. It has 1923 miles-never been wet- never been washed with soap). It is covered in my garage with the window sticker framed and matted hanging on the wall). I drive it WHEN I want.....

The old Delco was sounding weak and with my previous history w/c4 vettes (battery just dying with no notice) I decided to replace with a red top. Here are some points:

1. I used a 75/35 Red Top. No one in my area (Fredericksburg VA) had the "new" part number (75/25) listed in the threads. I called three dealers (Costco/Pep Boys/Advance).

2. I did ask each dealer if they "just got some in". Cosco did not know, Pep boys was honest and said they did not sell many, Advance just recieved a shipment in this week. Costco was cheapest (by $10) but Advance got my business.

3. I used a voltmeter to pick out a battery at Advance. True to ther phone call they had at least 10 on the rack. The first one was clearly the old one and sure enough the voltage was below 12 volts. The next couple were 12.5 so I picked one. I did not see "date codes" on any of the batteries at Advance

4. I noticed some of the Optima's (at advance) had various "pieces/parts" for use in different installations. Not every battery had all of the parts. The Optima web site stated something about needing a different "shoe" for the battery hold down for some Fords. Never the less I made sure I had both "top" pieces and the hold down shoe on the one I purchased. NOTE: Did NOT need hold down shoe but both top pieces makes a NICE aesthetic installation (covers the top posts with a matching red to the rail covers).

5. Three year warrentee honored at all Advances. $109.99 + $10 core.

6. Optima fits perfectly into battery tray with lip of battery fitting into back side locking lip (of tray). The original "hold down shoe" work perfectly. (Do not over tighten this hold down shoe as you could possibility distort the battery.)

7. Connected the positive first then the negetive. I did see sparks and heard clicks when connecting the negative. I DID NOT DO ANYTHING IN ADVANCE OF REMOVING THE ORIGINAL BATTERY (i.e removing hood bulb/warming up engine/etc). I removed original battery and then went to Advance so the battery was out for a couple of hours.

8. The ONLY preset I lost was the clock. Seats /radio/memory for climite control all ok. Went I test drove the car it ran as before-no issues.

9. Final look of new red top actually compliments the engine compartment. I would not have believed this with out see it. ( I thought a battery with top posts would ruin the looks but the "top installation" pieces cover the posts)

You guys will never know how much I sweated this as anal as I am about this car. (State inspection time is not a fun time either)

PS: I have decided not to have the steering column recall done (because of my analiness)-any comments?
Nice writeup on the Optima, that will be my choice soon. Especially with the 04's having top mount posts. Don't blame you for not have the CL recall done, not a fix, just a bandaid. They have sent me 5 recall notices, no thanks.

Jack

·
Registered
695 Posts
I also refused the steering column lock recall. I figured that taking apart the column was an invitation to new problems. FWIW :eek2:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Silver doesn't really show the dirt....just have to dust off if it never really got dirty in the rain. :roll: I don't know about the Optima when it's my turn. Sounds like they have a quality control issue. I'm willing to pay more for a "premium battery"......any ideas? Thanks. :D

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't mean to speak out of school, BUUUUUT, maybe a therapist could help. :eek2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got an Optima 34/78 for my Z and was curious if your Optima came with the small triangle plastic hold down piece that fits between the battery cylinders for a better bit on the battery.

Mine didn't and the battery company where I purchased the Optima didn't know what I was talking about until I had them bring it up on line.

If you don't drive your Z that often you may want to invest in a Battery Tender to save the Optima and give it longer life.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vetteracer said:
Not being a smart ace but if the cars never been wet what do you use to clean the surface of the car. Just curious. :usa:

A little exaggorated:

I have sprayed off the front wheels due to brake dust but

The underside (fender wells) gets wiped off with a wet towel. The rest I use "Spray Detailer" and a towel. Occassionally, in the summer, I will let some water hit the nose to wash off the bugs.

No matter how far I drive it (after the battery change I drove it about 13 miles) I go through about a two hr routine to "clean it up". I like using those swiffer dusters for the wheels.

If you do this everytime you don't need to wash it.

Again I drive it when the weather is perfect.

HEY I STARTED THIS THREAD WITH "I AM ANAL" :ity:
I know already.......

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Poor Z sitting in the garage and never being driven.

Not to be a smart azz but it's a car drive it and enjoy.

Granted they are GREAT cars and I enjoy my 2002 Z every time I drive it, I have 47k on the odo.

I also have an Optima but the Yellow top.

Darwin.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RoHo said:
I got an Optima 34/78 for my Z and was curious if your Optima came with the small triangle plastic hold down piece that fits between the battery cylinders for a better bit on the battery.

Mine didn't and the battery company where I purchased the Optima didn't know what I was talking about until I had them bring it up on line.

If you don't drive your Z that often you may want to invest in a Battery Tender to save the Optima and give it longer life.
I thought that the triangle plastic piece was the "hold down shoe" for cars (apparently Fords per the Optima web site) that could not use the stock hold down shoe?

·
Registered
967 Posts
nucferr said:
YES I am anal-I have a 2003 Z bought off of the showroom in Sept 02. It has 1923 miles-never been wet- never been washed with soap). It is covered in my garage with the window sticker framed and matted hanging on the wall).
It's only a car.

Remember, the car should serve you.

Not the other way around.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DBarbosa said:
Poor Z sitting in the garage and never being driven.

Not to be a smart azz but it's a car drive it and enjoy.

Granted they are GREAT cars and I enjoy my 2002 Z every time I drive it, I have 47k on the odo.

I also have an Optima but the Yellow top.

Darwin.
Damn
I knew this would get started

It might be hard for some of you to believe but I enjoy my car driving it 1k a year just as much as you do driving it 15k a year.

I could get nasty and say something like when I was 16 and could only afford one car I would do the same as you...

A good night to me would be to cruise over to the local car show (we have one EVERY friday night at a local restarant about a mile away) get home about midnight pour a Jack and Coke and clean that car............

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
rpallas said:
Silver doesn't really show the dirt....just have to dust off if it never really got dirty in the rain. :roll: I don't know about the Optima when it's my turn. Sounds like they have a quality control issue. I'm willing to pay more for a "premium battery"......any ideas? Thanks. :D

Bob

I too had concerns concerning quality (considering the threads I have read). The only thing I did was to take a voltmeter with me to buy the battery. Optima web site states that the batteries are shipeed fully charged (12.4 volts). Additional charging should not be required.

Only time will tell but I was really please with both how it fit and the way it sounds now when starting (either that Delco was really getting weak or this Optima is a much healthier battery).

I would be careful not to wait too long to replace your battery. I have owned a 1985 and a 1989. The 85 left me after 3 years with a dead battery (no warning) and the 89 quit in the garage after 2 years (that one sat as much as this Z)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
nucferr said:
Damn
I knew this would get started

It might be hard for some of you to believe but I enjoy my car driving it 1k a year just as much as you do driving it 15k a year.

I could get nasty and say something like when I was 16 and could only afford one car I would do the same as you...

A good night to me would be to cruise over to the local car show (we have one EVERY friday night at a local restarant about a mile away) get home about midnight pour a Jack and Coke and clean that car............
I hear you my Brutha. :cheers: :cheers:

I enjoy all my vehicles. :ity: :ity:

Darwin.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Dude, I dont know if anybody has told you or not, but damn you are anal. :p Just kidding! Nothing wrong in treating your car the way you want to. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I like your style. It's nice to know there are more than one of us out there. :ity: :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess I don't get it?

What is so great about driving a car 1K per year? I guess I understand collecting cars, to show off. But why drive a car 13 miles and then spend 2 hours cleaning it?

Is so you can say "I have a Corvette, and it is is pristine condition"? It's not like they are rare? I've had mine 4.5 months with over 10K miles.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
The way i look at, he payed for it, and if it makes him happy, that's all that matters. I know how you feel Bro, mine is only driven in fair weather and pampered also. That gives me pleasure, not to just say i own a Vette, have owned them for 34 years. So it isn't the first one i've treated like this, my green, my Vettes to enjoy the way i want to. Nothing against daily drivers, y'all paid for them drive them and enjoy them, to each their own, all bro's. :z:

Jack

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am the same way with my rides. I have a custom show truck..imgaine the prep work needed for that??? The truck gets the seats taken out ever time its "detail time" my wife doesnt get why i take the dash apart to clean the AC vents...and why I spray scotch-gaurd on the headliner. but she sure drives the shit out of it. I have been home too much to get into the Z this way but i know once i am home from Iraq I will find my meticulous cleaning groove with this car as well. Although I must say I love my Vette (first time to own one) that the truck is my babygirl. more love given to it. More fun in the Z but...nothing like my truck. They both have thier own style so I have different mannerizims for them both. I also fold my dirty clothes and arrange my refridge so when you look inside you can see everything that is in it. little things in the front and big in the back and all the labels showing so you can read what it is. Some people are anal about cars I am too and about other things...my wife....yeah she a backdoor girl too!!! if you know what I mean....

Enjoy your ride man..even if you dont drive it. It's your payment!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ZO6string said:
I guess I don't get it?

What is so great about driving a car 1K per year? I guess I understand collecting cars, to show off. But why drive a car 13 miles and then spend 2 hours cleaning it?

Is so you can say "I have a Corvette, and it is is pristine condition"? It's not like they are rare? I've had mine 4.5 months with over 10K miles.

Think of it like this:

If we all liked the same thing EVERY man would be dead. We would kill each other over the same woman!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts