Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I ordered my Z on 11/8. Probably won't be here til Feb.02.

I'm wondering about how most of you guys are going about getting the car off the ground, so you can do work under the car (whether it be headers, other exhaust work, or just changing the oil)?

I have several low-profile jacks, but want to know where the proper "jacking points" are on this particular vehicle. I do NOT want to screw something up, and am not familiar with the C5 frame.

TIA,

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sheesh...where have I been? You'd think I haven't been working on cars for the last decade! :p Never seen this one before. Looks nice and is compact, too. As many trans/clutch installs and as many oil changes and exhaust work as I've done for the last 10 years...this sucker would've been nice to have.

Hmm...looks like I might need a Xmas present to go along with my B'day present (Z should arrive a couple of weeks after my birthday).

Thx.

Any other suggestions are certainly welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Another vote for kwiklift. Raises the car about 20". It's on ramps, so no lifting pucks. When I'm not using it, I leave mine flat on the floor and park on it. Constructed well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm leaning towards the old 2x12's turned into ramps trick. And then jacking by the front or rear as necesary.

If I had more room, I would get a lift.. Though I'm not sure if I would go for the tire or body lift.

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BrianK said:
I'm leaning towards the old 2x12's turned into ramps trick. And then jacking by the front or rear as necesary.

If I had more room, I would get a lift.. Though I'm not sure if I would go for the tire or body lift.
Yes, this is what I currently use on my Mustangs. But, I also know the correct "jacking points" on those cars like the back of my hand. :)

No need to use jacking "pucks" on those cars. But, I continue to see this when Vette owners are jacking up their cars.

So, where can I get jacking pucks (will need them no matter what at some point), and where are you supposed to jack up on the car from the underside?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
WA 2 FST said:

So, where can I get jacking pucks (will need them no matter what at some point), and where are you supposed to jack up on the car from the underside?
WA 2 FST,

Check with our supporting vendors they can hook ya up with pucks.................

Owners man shows where to jack...........

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
How I lift my car

First off, I have some "pads" made from 2x12s, with two layers so 4" thick.

I put the car where I want to lift it, and slide the jack under the rear cross member. I have a little wooden block made to fit in the jack, so I won't damage anything.

I get the back end of the car up so that there is 5" of space under the back wheels. Then I slide the pads under, and drop the car.

Next, swing to one side of the car, and line up on the door/front fender parting line. With the jack as low as it'll go, I slide under there, then get down on my hands and knees, and positition the jack so the wooden pad fits in the rocker panel cut out and touches the frame. Lift the car so that corner is up 5", then slide the pad under the tire. Repeat for the other side.

Next, goto the front of the car, slide the jack under the front cross member, and lift. Put her on jackstands.

Lastly, goto the back, lift again from the cross member, and then settle the car on the jackstands back there.

It takes awhile (you'll get better with practice), but its easy on the car.

Lifting from one side doesn't twist the chassis at all. My buddy had a hyundai that you couldn't open the doors at all if you lifted from one side. I did NOT like riding in that thing at all.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts