Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the oppurtunity last week to take the Ford GT around the infield track at Homestead Speedway in Miami. It was black on black without the racing stripe. They made us take a Ford racing driver with us riding shotgun, not a job I'd like, and I got to take 4 laps in the car.

I really thought the car was amazing. It was very comfortable inside, the clutch felt amazing, super smooth ride, and the car had amazing grip. It also had incredible acceleration. The breaks didn't feel as good as my Z but they weren't too bad. I've never gotten the chance to take a world class sports car around a track like that and give it everything I had. There where a few turns and one long straight where the car got up to about 110mph before hammering the breaks for a sharp turn.

I also got 15 laps around the oval in the Ford Stock Car and drag raced the new Mustang GT in the 1/8. Reached around 160mph in the stock car and the Mustang was alright. Dale Jarret took me for 3 laps, me riding shotgun, with 5 other cars on the track driven by Kenseth, Jordan, and Martin. An incredible rush.

After my ride was over Jarret gave me 2 laps around the track in the GT and he really pushed the car hard. It was a great experience that just makes me want to find a track where I can push my car to the limits and compare the two.

Highly recommended drive! :usa:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Wow! Great story! :coo:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I heard the new Ford GTs were having some very serious oil leaking problems. I am not talking about oil consumption, it's flat out leaking out of various engine joints. I was told that it was rather wide spread too.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Congrats!! :thumb: How did you get this experience? Was it open to the public? Sounds like a pretty special experience to me.

Sal

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Man you're my Hero :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like you had some serious fun! :jammin: I mean, just driving the GT would be awesome (especially on the track) ...but all the other stuff is over the top! I'll bet you'll be smilling for a long time! Hell, I'm smiling just reading about it! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
2001Z06 said:
I heard the new Ford GTs were having some very serious oil leaking problems. I am not talking about oil consumption, it's flat out leaking out of various engine joints. I was told that it was rather wide spread too.
Leaking out of the rear main seal. They are fixing it with the addition of an external seal. This on top of the A-arm recall.

I do understand Ford comes to your house with an enclosed truck/trailer, takes the car, fixes it, and returns it to your house.

Also, Saleen builds these cars for Ford at Saleen's new facility in Michigan. Sounds like a few teething problems with this new arrangement, but no more than you get with a typical Ferrari or Lambo.

Still, the GT is one cool ride. I am amazed, jdub, that you think the GT's brakes are inadequate in some way. They are big Brembos. The may not "feel" as good as an 04 Z's brakes, as feel is subjective, but I am sure they offer consistent, fade-free performance at the track our relatively small Aussie brakes just cannot match. Z brakes will wear down quickly at the track.

Jdub, that is fantastic story, by the way. I am sure we are to a man (woman) jealous.

·
Registered
573 Posts
iamjdub59 said:
I had the oppurtunity last week to take the Ford GT around the infield track at Homestead Speedway in Miami. It was black on black without the racing stripe. They made us take a Ford racing driver with us riding shotgun, not a job I'd like, and I got to take 4 laps in the car.

I really thought the car was amazing. It was very comfortable inside, the clutch felt amazing, super smooth ride, and the car had amazing grip. It also had incredible acceleration. The breaks didn't feel as good as my Z but they weren't too bad. I've never gotten the chance to take a world class sports car around a track like that and give it everything I had. There where a few turns and one long straight where the car got up to about 110mph before hammering the breaks for a sharp turn.

I also got 15 laps around the oval in the Ford Stock Car and drag raced the new Mustang GT in the 1/8. Reached around 160mph in the stock car and the Mustang was alright. Dale Jarret took me for 3 laps, me riding shotgun, with 5 other cars on the track driven by Kenseth, Jordan, and Martin. An incredible rush.

After my ride was over Jarret gave me 2 laps around the track in the GT and he really pushed the car hard. It was a great experience that just makes me want to find a track where I can push my car to the limits and compare the two.

Highly recommended drive! :usa:
Sounds like an incredible experience!!

Any chance of getting me in there? ........please!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
809 Posts
After seeing a Discovery Channel show about the making of the Ford GT, it looked like they just took a truck motor that Ford was developing then supercharged it. It didn't look like anything special. The cars may be hand built, but I wonder if the engine's are? That would answer the question about reliability.

Sal

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
salvador said:
After seeing a Discovery Channel show about the making of the Ford GT, it looked like they just took a truck motor that Ford was developing then supercharged it. It didn't look like anything special. The cars may be hand built, but I wonder if the engine's are? That would answer the question about reliability.

Sal

It is a 4 cam, alloy, supercharged engine with all forged guts. Yes, it is similar to the F150 Lightning motor, but it's not exactly ordinary, either. I feel certain the reliability issues are a result of this new manufacturing system with Saleen doing the work, or perhaps with a few suppliers, rather than a problem with the engine's design. I hear Saleen has already rolled some heads because of these quality problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
quickZ said:
It is a 4 cam, alloy, supercharged engine with all forged guts. Yes, it is similar to the F150 Lightning motor, but it's not exactly ordinary, either. I feel certain the reliability issues are a result of this new manufacturing system with Saleen doing the work, or perhaps with a few suppliers, rather than a problem with the engine's design. I hear Saleen has already rolled some heads because of these quality problems.
It's only similar to the L motor in displacement, even the blocks are somewhat different. (or so the Ford fanatics tell me)

The next SVT Mustang (rumored to not be called a Cobra anymore), is allegedly going to have a detuned version of this motor.

Sounds like you had a great time jdub I'm jealous...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds awesome! The GT truly is an unbelievable car. Definitely in a league of it's own power wise. The acceleration never drops off... :eyes: And the grip...oh the grip. I love the precision of the steering.

I'd love to take some laps with a Nascar driver, especially DJ! :jammin:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Running around a track with Dale Jarret in the car with you.

Running alongside someone who is a world class pro, in whatever sport you're in, you learn a lot of things very quickly. Sounds like a great experience... and I'd like to sign up for the next one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The experience was amazing. I think it was a special get together. We were down for the Doral tournament and they had the Ford Racing Experience for the golfers. Ford brought in all their drivers and we got the rides of our lives.

As for the brakes, I can't put my finger on it but they just felt heavy maybe, I just feel the Z stops better than the GT did. But it is an amazing car. I'm waiting for my new motor to get broken in and compare my new power to the original car and the GT I drove. :usa:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
iamjdub59 said:
The experience was amazing. I think it was a special get together. We were down for the Doral tournament and they had the Ford Racing Experience for the golfers. Ford brought in all their drivers and we got the rides of our lives.

As for the brakes, I can't put my finger on it but they just felt heavy maybe, I just feel the Z stops better than the GT did. But it is an amazing car. I'm waiting for my new motor to get broken in and compare my new power to the original car and the GT I drove. :usa:
How did the acceleration match up against your Z06 that you have with 580+ rwhp? A lot of people say that the GT is wayyyy underrated (I believe, hence the 132 trap) and is pushing around 550 rwhp. So, how did the acceleration feel compared to your car??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts