Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think the 01 Z also had forged pistons (maybe all LS1/LS6 for that matter).

What definately changed in the piston department for LS1/LS6 was a polymer coating was put on the piston shirts to help for the tighter piston/cyl clearance and to eliminate the cold piston 'knock' these engines were famous for.

Go see:

http://www.c5registry.com./2k2z06/index.htm

Its all in there :D.

Brian -- you will have to get together with us NW Zeemaniacs as soon as you get your Z :D. We are growing and going fast! :z:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The way I heard it was that the factory started using forged pistons around the middle of October. As far as I know, 01s and early 02s did not have forged.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read the same thing as Jerry..

Everything I've read in the past said the 02 featured a new ring package, piston and coating. But I believe they retained the cheesy hypereutectic alloy (cheaper and quieter for cold starting, but not as tough).

If they did a mid-October change to forged pistons, that is a big deal. There had to be a reason. I just hope my car got them (I think!).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
BrianK said:
If they did a mid-October change to forged pistons, that is a big deal. There had to be a reason. I just hope my car got them (I think!).
Well mine didn't, for sure. Maybe this'll be the issue for the '02s, like oil consumption was for the 01s .. It doesn't burn any oil, but tends to EJECT a little when the pistons fly apart. :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
BrianK said:
I read the same thing as Jerry..

Everything I've read in the past said the 02 featured a new ring package, piston and coating. But I believe they retained the cheesy hypereutectic alloy (cheaper and quieter for cold starting, but not as tough).

The pistons in LS1 and LS6 are Hypereutectic < roughly translate to "semi-forged" high silicon content > not forged. Forged pistons would be a real piston slap parade.

In April '01 a "graphwall" coating was added to the skirt to lessen cold piston slap. Personally I love cold piston slap...it's Mr. Horsepower waking up.

Forged pistons slap folks...high horse motors often "cold slap"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts